who is wrenching today?

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
yeah, OK. two trailers would be kind of problematic...How far are you going with this? I remember you mentioning a cross-country trip...are you hauling this stuff across the known universe?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
yes all the way to NYC. Then I can knock down the wood and set the canopy on the bed, and the trailer is a one way. We will take about 10 days to drive home.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
yes all the way to NYC. Then I can knock down the wood and set the canopy on the bed, and the trailer is a one way. We will take about 10 days to drive home.

Must be a helluva couch to justify hauling it 3000 miles.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It's a whole load of furniture and kitchen and whathaveya. Did you sell everything when you moved to Washington?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's a whole load of furniture and kitchen and whathaveya. Did you sell everything when you moved to Washington?

Almost. We had 5 HUGE yard sales before we moved...the shortest was 3 days, the longest was 5 days over Labor Day weekend. (and I could still barely close the rear door on the biggest truck Uhaul rented...was about 2000 lbs over weight too)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
airBnB's all the way, with off street parking, motion sensor on truck and car, and a wifi camera with motion detection and alerts.
Small towns off the interstate. I hate buying fuel near the interstate too. It's an automatic 30 cent bump in price most times. My truck will go almost all day on a tank. I am keeping it down to ~500 miles or less per day with one 600 mile day.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
My dream garage build is slowly shaping... And moved my first project car there.

What would you all suggest for an IP camera with WebCam like quality, at least 720p? I want to have 24/7 surveillance but also use some cuts for my restoration video channel.

PRV_IMG_20221030_154919.jpg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Love it Yuli! I especially love the repurposed tool storage on the left. You know how to keep a cool tool.

• Love
Reactions: YuliApp

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Love it Yuli! I especially love the repurposed tool storage on the left. You know how to keep a cool tool.

Hehe thank you! Yes, it was a small abandoned supermarket so i won one freezer (not sure yet what to do with it, maybe will use it as a freezer), one cooling shelf which will be a toolbox as you said and one closed cooling shelf (where i will keep opened chemicals). Also won tons of metal shelves! You never have enough storage space in a workshop and this is a godsend. When i remember what i all used as a storage in the old workshop 🤦🏻‍♀️ just to not need to buy material.

This small room will also be a sound isolated compressor (/ power generator if needed) room.

PRV_IMG_20221028_175754.jpg

Reactions: skyking

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Did you actually knew that angle grinder was invented by Mr A. Grinder who was disgusted by retards using slotted iron screws in rust-prone applications?

It didn't improved much since 1954 but once cordless variants replaced compressed air ones, it changed life of many lovers of old junk.

IMG_20221113_122841.jpg

IMG_20221113_123822.jpg

Reactions: skyking

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
replaced all the interior lights in the Burb with LED. huge improvement! red led's in the map lights for night. Like a submarine.

now my right blinker/brake pin on the trailer connector is not working, and i have to trouble shoot the aftermarket back up cam, no vid. signal. also oil change hopefully next week.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
replaced all the interior lights in the Burb with LED. huge improvement! red led's in the map lights for night. Like a submarine.

now my right blinker/brake pin on the trailer connector is not working, and i have to trouble shoot the aftermarket back up cam, no vid. signal. also oil change hopefully next week.

had red map lights and interior light on my civic back few years. With red leather interior it looked like a very kinky submarine.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I don't wrench on anything any more except doing the lawn mowers myself oil/plugs/etc. but I did change the wife's car and mine over to winter tires. 2 days later we got snow so I timed it well. I also put studded tires on the fat bikes, I do perform all of my own bicycle maintenance.

I do spend way too much time on worthless projects like restoring an old metal lawn ornament rather than throwing it away. I also refurbished a metal roller cabinet that I made in school in 1984 in metals class, then gave it to the neighbor. I guess I just hate working on vehicles lol.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Car spent 6 weeks at the dealer for the P0016 code and a TSB to resolve a rattle on the shifter in 4th gear. The transmission/shifter work took a lot longer as they had to pull the trans and rebuild some stuff. They also had to replace my cam sprockets and the ECU as stated in my previous post, pretty crazy. All told about 5k in work under warranty.

A couple hundred miles later my car starts to whine. So I take it back in and there was a bunch of metal in my trans fluid. They found that the trans/center diff were not aligned perfectly and the trans was grinding metal off the diff apparently. They are going to replace the diff and do a bunch of flushing on the trans while it is out to clear it out. I figure they goofed up the alignment while rebuilding/reinstalling the trans after the TSB work. Sheesh.

Even with a new diff the trans was still making noise. They had to crack it back open and are pretty much going to replace the trans now. On the plus side I've been enjoying my Ascent in touring trim for a quite a while as a loaner. Wife likes it.

• Wow

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Even with a new diff the trans was still making noise. They had to crack it back open and are pretty much going to replace the trans now. On the plus side I've been enjoying my Ascent in touring trim for a quite a while as a loaner. Wife likes it.

is it me or the new cars are crappier and crappier. Around me people actually want to buy 1 year olds more than new ones as they always come with so many DOA issues

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
is it me or the new cars are crappier and crappier. Around me people actually want to buy 1 year olds more than new ones as they always come with so many DOA issues
Well it's not a covid car if that's what you mean, a 2019. But yea it is all pretty annoying. I kinda want to get a mini van but I don't want to end up getting a piece of junk because quality has been lessened.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Well it's not a covid car if that's what you mean, a 2019. But yea it is all pretty annoying. I kinda want to get a mini van but I don't want to end up getting a piece of junk because quality has been lessened.

yep no plans either, covid followed up with huge price cuttings and no desire to build long term strategy. I will stick to my junk and when it breaks, i will fix it.

Reactions: RearAdmiral

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
yep no plans either, covid followed up with huge price cuttings and no desire to build long term strategy. I will stick to my junk and when it breaks, i will fix it.

Nice. For me it depends if we have a 3rd kid or if toting two kids around in a sedan and and older Nissan rogue(pretty small) gets old, which it already is.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Nice. For me it depends if we have a 3rd kid or if toting two kids around in a sedan and and older Nissan rogue(pretty small) gets old, which it already is.

yea i solved family growth with old pickup which has front seat bench. Another feature lost during "improvements" which i cannot be without anymore.