who is wrenching today?

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Installed Head Up Display (HUD) about 2 weeks ago. Now I feel like a fighter pilot when I drive.

HUD.jpg
What year, make and model?

I've been adding 21st-century electronic upgrades to a 26-year-old vehicle, and I wondered how I might get a HUD feature for it. On my computer X-Plane 9 and X-Plane 10, I fly an FA-22 Raptor. Obviously a P-51 Mustang doesn't have that feature.

williamms

Jan 24, 2021
What year, make and model?

I've been adding 21st-century electronic upgrades to a 26-year-old vehicle, and I wondered how I might get a HUD feature for it. On my computer X-Plane 9 and X-Plane 10, I fly an FA-22 Raptor.Obviously a P-51 Mustang doesn't have that feature.

Everyone asked the car brand and model, but I looked through pages and couldn't find an answer. I also want to install HUD on my car (Jetta 2018). How can I do it?

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Did the annual oil change on the MK7 GTI. Some might hate the single use plastic drain plugs, but a quarter turn and done is rather easy.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Doing some custom welding fabrication for the 1 ton delivery flatbed at work. The guy who drives it is a bit stove up, so I am making a custom nerf bar and ladder to get up on the bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacfanweb

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
GD squirrels ate another 02 sensor wire in the volt. anyone have a solution to that? wrap it in some kind of wire loom with metal in it?

also changing cabin air and engine air filters on the volt and the 15 sierra.

what do you guys think about plugs and wires on a modern truck? dealer says its due, but i'm skeptical. 120k on it.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That's the kicker that keeps that step from wobbling. See the strut coming off the back of that? Attaches to the frame and provides essentially a triangle of strength.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I got the nerf bar built and mounted up for testing. I was a little skeptical, since this was really light 1 x 3 tubing at only .062 wall. It was fine so I pulled it back off and closed all the open tubing, sanded and painted.
PXL-20210129-221220438.jpg

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
My dad has a GMC 2500 HD with the 6 liter engine that is going through coolant. He replaced the intake manifold gasket a few years back, but he is too old to be wrenching anymore, so today I'm going to drive the hour to his house, pick up his truck and bring it back home to diagnose. I'm hoping its something easy like a water pump or leaking hose, but he doesn't see any dripping anywhere, so, its either the intake manifold is warped, the gasket is leaking again, or leaking head gasket or basically anything really. I don't think its the HG, as he doesn't smell any coolant in the exhaust, but does smell it in the cab from time to time after driving it. I think its leaking on top of the engine somewhere and cooking off. After driving it to my house and back home, he has to put half a gallon of coolant back in so its not a small leak.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
if you smell it in the cab, i would be checking the heater core first. if its only leaking there, you may not see drips as it drys in the cab or only leaks when the heater is on, and hot enough to dry out quickly. is the windshield fogging up too?

replaced all the cabin air and engine air filters in the volt and 15 sierra today, good insurance after the terrible smoke from the fires this past fall. the volt needs a downstream 02 sensor, but rock auto sent the wrong one, different connector, nobody stocks it. will be here tomorrow, no worries just drive on electric.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
My dad has a GMC 2500 HD with the 6 liter engine that is going through coolant. He replaced the intake manifold gasket a few years back, but he is too old to be wrenching anymore, so today I'm going to drive the hour to his house, pick up his truck and bring it back home to diagnose. I'm hoping its something easy like a water pump or leaking hose, but he doesn't see any dripping anywhere, so, its either the intake manifold is warped, the gasket is leaking again, or leaking head gasket or basically anything really. I don't think its the HG, as he doesn't smell any coolant in the exhaust, but does smell it in the cab from time to time after driving it. I think its leaking on top of the engine somewhere and cooking off. After driving it to my house and back home, he has to put half a gallon of coolant back in so its not a small leak.
Pull up the carpet on the passenger side and feel the padding under it. If wet, you probably have a heater core leaking.

Reactions: slag and skyking

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Pull up the carpet on the passenger side and feel the padding under it. If wet, you probably have a heater core leaking.

Now I'm nervous. If it's the heater core, that seems like a warm spring weekend job, not a middle of winter job. He said he smells coolant from time to time so I'll check it out. Decided to go up Tuesday to get it as it was cold and rainy this weekend but should be in the 50's by the middle of the week.. then cold and snowy again this upcoming weekend.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Its in the engine bay. I just drove the truck home and upon getting out, smelled coolant. The driver's side of the engine bay is wet and I think the radiator is shot. the upper radiator hose was dry but underneath that it was soaked and so was the power steering reservoir and windshield washer tank.

Also I need to resolder the ABS brake system board to fix his abs light/brake light being on and also pull the bed off and check out his fuel sending unit. When driving the truck, it shows either the correct fuel level, or empty. I hope its a chaffed wire and him not needing a whole new fuel pump assembly.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Back on March 14, we swapped both cars back to all season shoes.

Then last weekend, did an oil service plus engine and cabin filters on my friend's 2011 Elantra. I installed a Fumoto 1/4 turn drain plug for next time and didn't overtighten the spin on filter like the shop who was in there before me.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
Changed the radiator on my JK this past weekend. 20210417_121315.jpg
Re-threading the screws that secure the condenser to the radiator was a major pain in the ass. Especially the lower passenger side screw. The new radiator is now installed and the Jeep didn't explode when I took it for a test drive, so I call it a win.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Lots of work over the past few weeks on the E46 ... Ohlins coilover install, pulled the shitty single piston floating calipers for fixed 4 piston Brembos off of a 996, installed racing seats and wired up the power sliders and seat heaters to stock vehicle harness. Pretty nice transformation ... track day next weekend and autocross two weekends after so I can’t wait to put it through its paces.

4F7D8F17-2D9B-45EE-9B09-5BC7975F18A2.jpeg1B443BB9-D605-41E9-BB7F-651A60577B2F.jpeg2362D3BC-8B55-466F-8322-5F0EAABE3E3F.jpeg

Reactions: herm0016

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I am working on the larger excavator again. I picked up 130# of 3/8" AR400 hard plate to armor and repair all three buckets. I took the plate out to a friend's with a big enough plasma cutter for that thickness of steel.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
20210523_155614.jpg20210523_170143.jpg

replaced bumper cover my father inlaws ML350. I need to order one for their 4 runner as well. ordered painted from paintedautobodyparts.com its about what you expect, not a show paint job, but plenty good for this. it was not a terrible job. but GD they could use one or 2 kinds of fasteners instead of 6

Reactions: skyking