who is wrenching today?

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Got it all done. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. All in all, very easy and enjoyable car to work on. Waterpump looked good, no noises, wobbling, etc, so i left it in.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Got a bunch of stuff lined up for winter break... including work on my Impreza, FR-S and my mom's Z3 roadster. The good news is I have all the parts already lol

My GF's Crosstrek will also need brake pads and rotors in the spring but that's a 2 hour project tops.

Jun 18, 2000
Swapping the 3 seasons for the winter tires on both my and wife's cars. Have to change the oil in hers too. Hate doing that in the cold. Bah humbug

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I got 15 tons of gravel for my driveway on Friday morning and started grading with my little tractor. About 2/3 of the way through the steering gear case split in half. Who knew that would be the weak point. Tractor is 23 years old. Call the cubcadet dealer and the parts guy collects old clubs and has lots of parts. Get the part from an older model that is a steel housing instead of cast aluminum and we are back in business. What luck! Part is no longer available otherwise, some on Ebay for twice the price. Just had to drill out one hole for the newer model tractor.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Replaced the drivers door latch assembly on my Accord over the weekend. Silly lock stopped functioning by any mechanism other than physically manipulating the lock.

Plan to pull out the AC/heat fan blower motor tonight and take a look. Intermittent clicking. Might be debris, or might need to be replaced.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Did the front brakes on my WRX today. Pads had maybe 25% left but the rotors were warped pretty badly.

Went with DBA rotors and another set of Hawk HPS pads.
WV1o3ri.jpg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Friday morning, did a R/R on a new PS Pump for my '99 Taco and flushed the system with Mobil1 ATF.

Took the Taco out of the driveway and drove in my '96 Z28, replaced left side window motor, replaced window cushions and adjusted windows for better seal.

Saturday morning, drove out the Z28 and brought in my son's '09 Taco for a complete u-joint and center support bearing R/R. Also did a tranny drain-n-refill with filter swap out since the truck was already wheels up.

Sunday morning brought in the family van for long delayed wash-n-wax-n-detail. Did PM job on it and rotated the tires. No wind today so also did some fiberglass work on my '73 'Vette resto-mod.

Tuh-day, resting up the 'ol bones for tomorrow's work on repairing my boss's hyd. steering gear on his boat dockside. I need to machine/fabricate a whole new hyd. cylinder and ram to get this done, along with reinforcing damaged bulkhead that the steering is attached to. Then it's off to swapping out/modding engine mounts on his other boat now in dry dock.

Busiest I've been working as a mechanic when my actual job is a machinist.

Dropped the notion that I was getting too old for this kind of action and replaced it with the idea that I AM too old for this shit. :smile:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Replaced the drivers door latch assembly on my Accord over the weekend. Silly lock stopped functioning by any mechanism other than physically manipulating the lock.

Plan to pull out the AC/heat fan blower motor tonight and take a look. Intermittent clicking. Might be debris, or might need to be replaced.

Just did that a coup'la weeks ago on my '99 Taco. After I pulled the cage fan out of the housing, I could see where there was a lot of dust buildup that hardened into clay from being exposed to moisture. What was making a lot of noise was that for some reason the buildup was mostly on one section of the cage causing an imbalance and the resultant uneven whipping of the fan. Also found a couple of dried up leaves in the housing along with the usual odds and ends.

I tried cleaning the cage and reinstalling but it was too late to save it.

As an aside, I got that truck only a couple of months ago from a good friend of mine. He got it from a friend of his who got tired of sending it out to get it fixed for one thing after another. Yep, it was that time in the truck's life where chasing repairs was too much to bear for folks that can't DIY repair.

Well we repainted the truck over at my friend's house to match the newer "battleship grey" colors being offered by Toyota and it came out pretty good looking. So now I'm into rebuilding/swapping out whatever components that need servicing.

New tires and black wheels are also in the works to match the grey/black color scheme.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Installing an ECS tuning skid plate on my wife's 2013 Beetle, and familiarizing myself for the upcoming 40K service.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Apparently all my packages are in town so with luck today or tomorrow i could swap out the spark plugs fuel injectors and crankshaft position sensor on a 2000 Corolla.

The sensors harness basically came apart in my hands when inspecting it last week, the autolite xp plugs in there look old and worn out and the new NGK Iridiums will most likely be the last plugs it will need. Fuel injectors look old have cracks and intermittent misfire on cylinder 4 or maybe even on several under severe load.

May have to inspect the fuel strainer which i guess is easy on this one yay. Just pull out the back seat and your at it. Strainer and fuel filter is like $40 and most likely may need replacing. With 210k miles and only a new o2 sensor my guess i will have to do the entire high mileage deal. Luckily everything is so cheap.

Reactions: skyking

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Replaced the above and now its running like a top from the key. Never seen a motor with 210k idle so smoothly in your life. Certainly was Miller time after California deemed it road worthy and it passed with flying colors. Absolutely no pending codes or anything funny.

Need to investigate why i get a shaking under acceleration from the driver side. I suspect possibly transmission/motor mount as it does the clank in reverse typical i guess of a mount. Could be the front tires have seen better days but besides hairline cracks there doesn't appear to be wear though. Could maybe be a combination of several things like my previous fixes.

Maybe i will give it a once over today. I was under the car yesterday having a gay old time replacing that crank sensor and saw nothing alarming. Then again it was a dui repo car and the last owner was maybe the biggest cheapest moron in the history of mankind and he liked his repairs as stupidily and lazy and cheap as possible if at all. I never felt so bad for a inanimate object before in my life.

Yes i may have made up a new word like stupidily but even Picard would be rolling his eyes at the stuff i had to fix in a jiffy. Luckily this thing is a Toyota and can put up with non sense.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Hack job owners FTL.

My '06 Impreza passed inspection once the purge valve was replaced--I wanted to relocate it outside of the engine bay but decided that it wasn't worth the effort of extending the cable and vacuum lines. Still need to get my fenders back from paint so I can replace them before the end of the year. I've been using them as an excuse for not doing everything else that could be done while the car is on stands for a bit lol

Also have to bleed the handbrake in the SC 300 because there's a couple of fall drift events I'd like to attend; I've been seriously slacking.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Carbs on my 95 Seadoo XP are leaking internally and run like shit, even after a full carb rebuild with genuine mikuni parts. They were salt water carbs and really were junk to begin with. I bought a set of freshwater carbs from Michigan and they are arriving today. I'll open them up and make sure they are good and clean before putting them on the machine and see if that fixes my hard warm starting (flooding) issue and cutting out issues.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Got to love cheap seals that come with fuel injectors. Had a nice clean running car and last night on start a clear obvious vacuum leak that triggered the check engine light . Traced it down this morning to the 4th fuel injector. Pulled the rail and sure enough somehow someway that brand new rubber seal broke almost in half like a twig. It rode fine for 50 miles then suddenly pulled this lol.

Been years since i went to carquest but i remember now why i love them. They quoted me $15 or so for a 3 piece kit originally which included a new seal and they managed to work me down to $11 and change and i picked up a 79 cent brake light bulb! I love their bulk bulbs so much.

Was surprised carquest had it in stock cause autozone and napa both had to order it. Autozone it wouldn't have been here till the 19th at the latest. Had no idea a few pieces of rubber could have such a markup but whatever its alright now.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Bought a new bike, put 80 miles on it. It died while slowing down for a stop sign the other day. Zero lights on the dash, would not turn over, would not click like when a dead battery. Kill switch was not on, kick stand was not down, no obvious reason for this to happen. Pushed is back home, 754lbs, which is literally up hill all the way. Pretty pissed at this point, had it less than a week.

Checked voltage on almost everything, battery, fuses, and other connections. Took off some side panels, and dug around. Tracing the battery ground wire led us to the starter solenoid. There is a small 12v connection that was loose on the back side of it that was very hard to get to. Took it off, crimped down the connection so it would attach better, and put it back on. Connected the battery back, and it worked as normal. Lights came on, bike fired right up. Whoever put this together did not do a proper job. Other things back up this assessment. But it is working, and running great again. After waiting 3 months to get this bike, I am very glad it is up and running again.

Reactions: slag

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Cleaned the idle air control valve on the 1990 Miata, in the process ripping both gaskets... Used gasket maker since no one in town has one available until Tuesday. Replaced four small diameter coolant hoses by the throttle body, the old ones looked like they were the original ones. Spilled a bit of coolant in the process, so I finally got to use the Lisle funnel, which worked well. Replaced the PCV valve and the hose that was too short.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Been dealing with a shaking and vibrating under most acceleration so went underneath to inspect the undercarriage of my 2000 Corolla. Everything looked nice and tight then i found out both the front and rear motor mounts are bad. A crow bar wedged in there and the motor and tranny move fairly well without to much hassle. Did see what appeared to be some rubber busted up around the mounting bolt for the passenger one too. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire set of mounts need replacing.

Does need a wheel alignment too, the steering wheel needs to be more turned to the left to keep it straight yet it likes to pull more to the right. I figured i would check underneath it anyways. TONS of crud was underneath the car that i removed, like pieces of caked up dirt the size of baseballs at time. I bet Iggy Pop would be singing The Passenger cause i bet most of it has been there since day 1 lol.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
The shaking or vibrating has appeared to get worst. Also the driver side makes something like a popping sound on moderately sharp turns now. I had to watch some videos to figure out constant clicking isn't always CV axles but vibrating can be inner cv joints. Car on a jack stand and the driver side especially makes tons of noise which i guess is slop? I watched this video
and at 0:25 the tire on the driver makes the exact same noise and even the passenger a bit but not as severe.

I'm more used to the constant clicking but i am 90% positive that is causing my vibrating and now that noise. Job looks easy enough too once i pick up a couple more tools. Between my tire noise and everything else checking out idk what else it can be besides all 4 of my motor mounts needing replacing.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Installing an ECS tuning skid plate on my wife's 2013 Beetle, and familiarizing myself for the upcoming 40K service.

I did the 40,000 mile service on my wife's 2013 Beetle TDI with DSG Today. New oil, fuel, air, cabin air, and transmission filters. It was my first DSG transmission service. Tomorrow I will put it back on my friend's lift and install these backup lights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8QJ3UT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
More like through this week now that all the parts have finally shown up. Picked up a base 09 Cayman that had pretty good maintenance records. But since it's getting close to 90k miles I'm doing the extra stuff now. Will probably take me two weeks but we'll see.

- Oil change
- New drive belt
- New front and rear sway bar bushings
- New tires
- Alignment
- New transmission mounts
- New engine mount
- New water pump
- Aftermarket shifter kit to remove slop
- Pull front bumper and clean radiators
- Change transmission fluid
- Clean throttle body

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
The recoil on the starter of my 1995 cub cadet 1641 seems to be intermittently stuck. ordered a new starter off amazon. we will see how that goes. the plastic gear is a bit chewed up . also greased all the bearings, installed new blades and cleaned out the deck. mowed a neighbors small horse pasture and made a few bucks.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Tossed a temporary set of rear pads on the truck so we could go to the beach this weekend. I have a full set of Power Stops on the way.

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
Engine light came on (I thought it was broke, since it Nevers came ) put it on the computer said "failure in 4th cylinder" *@$#!!! Hood up looked in and the dang plug wire came off somehow lol put back on fired up light went off and all good.. I wish all repairs where like that. Bonus was that was only code that came up. My buddy is mad cause the car is am1995 Grand Marquis.and runs great