who is wrenching today?

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Can you get drilled and slotted rotors turned? The ones that were on my 4 runner (I know, right??), were warped horribly and I replaced them with the standard wearever ones from advance. Can my old ones be turned down on a lathe or not?

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Can you get drilled and slotted rotors turned? The ones that were on my 4 runner (I know, right??), were warped horribly and I replaced them with the standard wearever ones from advance. Can my old ones be turned down on a lathe or not?
On the F150 2wd the only way to turn the rotor is to take it somewhere that has the lathe that can turn them on the vehicle, usually the dealer. So its easier to buy new, works out price wise just about the same. I understand that 4x4's have the normal slip off rotor up front.

Last edited:

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I wouldn't get drilled rotors (google 'cracked drilled rotors'). Slotted is OK but really no reason to not just get blanks (unless you want the look).
Guess it depends on the brand?
I've been using slotted + drilled rotors from RotorPros (as have many others on LVC) without warpage or cracks.

Been a couple of years now and they're still good.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
'96 F150 4X4 5.0 EFI
Coolant leak between the timing chain cover and the block. 20 year old gasket, don't last forever.
At this point I decided to fix the exhaust manifold leak in the right side. Just got the manifold off, too badly corroded to salvage. Napa has them.
This has kept me out of the bars this week and maybe next also.

Feb 25, 2011
Installed a backup camera in my housemate's '08 TSX today.

The trunk-inhabiting nav system in the '06-'08 TSX (and some matching Honda Accords) already has a camera/DVD hookup, so it was a relatively simple matter of cutting a wire notch in the license plate light housing, splicing a couple wires for power and running a composite video cable up the trunk hinge, then plugging a couple wires into the right pins on the unused connector.

Plus a few zip-ties. Love those zip ties.

This is the camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMC8QXI/

Pretty sure the "170" FOV is more like 135.

I think I got it ok, but will probably need to adjust the camera up or down so it's "just right" once the housemate has driven it around a bit.

Also, had some trouble with the quick-splice connectors popping loose the first couple times I slammed the trunk lid. There may be some soldering in my future.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Replaced the serpentine belt and idler pulley in my Insight. The belt was squeaking, and though it probably just needed adjustment (no cracks on the belt), the pulley and belt together were under $10 for name-brands. Total time to install was about 15 minutes and required a 10mm and an 8mm socket. Not sure if these were the originals in the car from 17 years ago.

Reactions: dave_the_nerd
Feb 25, 2011
Replaced the serpentine belt and idler pulley in my Insight. The belt was squeaking, and though it probably just needed adjustment (no cracks on the belt), the pulley and belt together were under $10 for name-brands. Total time to install was about 15 minutes and required a 10mm and an 8mm socket. Not sure if these were the originals in the car from 17 years ago.
When you have a rubber part that might be 17 years old, it's probably a "better safe than sorry" sort of repair. :)

Feb 25, 2011
Installed a backup camera in my housemate's '08 TSX today.

The trunk-inhabiting nav system in the '06-'08 TSX (and some matching Honda Accords) already has a camera/DVD hookup, so it was a relatively simple matter of cutting a wire notch in the license plate light housing, splicing a couple wires for power and running a composite video cable up the trunk hinge, then plugging a couple wires into the right pins on the unused connector.

Plus a few zip-ties. Love those zip ties.

This is the camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMC8QXI/

Pretty sure the "170" FOV is more like 135.

I think I got it ok, but will probably need to adjust the camera up or down so it's "just right" once the housemate has driven it around a bit.

Also, had some trouble with the quick-splice connectors popping loose the first couple times I slammed the trunk lid. There may be some soldering in my future.

I did end up soldering those connections, btw.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Today I replaced the front brake pads, rotors, and one caliper bracket on the Ford van. And greased the wheel bearings. Messy, but it was nice seeing that the bearings were healthy.

Reactions: skyking

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Figured I'd attempt to resurrect this thread. I installed this to gain like 25hp

QwNJDK1.png

as a result of installing this

Ts68fSr.png

Admittedly, does it really do anything? Who knows. Hopefully next weekend I'll have time to (finally) install better pads, braided lines and flush the fluid. All this on a Forester (non-turbo) with a CVT....because nobody ever complained about having brakes that work too well.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This thread mysteriously popped up in my new posts ledger so I figured I stop by and check it out. @NutBucket, looks like a clean install on both items so enjoy your new found ponies and whoa there hydraulics.

As for me I'm just about finished doing a complete suspension and steering refresh on my 1996 Z28. All that's left is for me to hang the sway bar back in there and I'm good to go. I will then install an American Powertrain 6 spd. manual tranny to replace the tired T56. Looks like I'm gunna rebuild it and sell it to make up some of the cost of the new unit but for now the wifey needs to get her G35 out of the garage that the camaro in the driveway was blocking.

Also been wrapping up some messy itchy body work on my '73 Vette and then it'll get layered with a nice House of Kolor urethane paint job.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
So i ended up buying that BMW at the copart auction and had to put a lot into the engine to get rid of the lean condition. Its a pretty 2002 325xit touring wagon. The next week I bought a 2005 F150 lariat also that didnt need much work at all. Glad to have a truck back.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
0321181958.jpg

Took me 5 years but I finally got around to putting my spare engine and trans in my 95 miata. Took about an hour so I have no real excuse for why it took so long but it is done. Just sitting in there for now and nothing is hooked up but now I have no excuses to not continue working on it.

Reactions: JCH13 and Yuriman

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Took the head off my 2002 audi a4 3.0 liter due to coolant in cylinder 1. Took the head to the machine shop where they said it was warped and i had it pressure tested and made flat. Reassembled the camshafts and and exhaustt manifold on the head an am going to put it back in the car this week hopefully and get it running again.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
2011 Subaru Legacy:

Oil / all seasons put back on for warm driving. Also fixed my super annoying exhaust heat shield rattles with daisy chained hose clamps(cheap fixes ftw!). Also replaced my headlights last week. Why on earth did Subaru make them only accessible by taking off the bumper or reaching up through the wheel well. Took me an hour to change the headlights!

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Had a water leak in my Insight, which melted/fused where the car's interior wiring harness connects to the engine bay wiring harness, effectively damaging both. I spent the weekend cutting and soldering to replace these connectors.

yo58Iqim.jpg

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The miata lives well barely. Have just the bare minimum of things hooked up to try starting it. Took a lot of fiddling around and finally pulling the fuel return line and jumping the fuel pump to check for fuel flow and/or get the air out of the lines for it to fired up. Runs like total dog shit but with no exhaust, half the sensor still disconnected, and 5 year old fuel it is hard to say why :) but it does at least run.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Pulled my old drag truck out of its hibernation spot with my daughter (who has never heard it run) and began its reactivation. Started pulling the bed off yesterday evening. It has some rusty spots I need to repair.
Cab is mostly okay, a few minor spots I can address and blend in without painting the entire thing. Hood will be replaced with fiberglass.
I cannot believe how 32 year old paint was so easily rejuvenated. First I buffed it to see if there was some shine under that faded surface. Then I sanded/buffed a spot on the fender to see just how good it could be....and it looked like it was painted last week in that spot.
Here it is before and after the initial buffing. Painted in 1986.

RF37zYu.jpg

gifmqtd.jpg

XXN4ayO.jpg

JZkex7j.jpg

Reactions: Gerle

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Fresh oil change yesterday with 6 quarts thick and sloppy 10W-60 and wash/clay/wax today:

fKbjBZS.jpg