who is wrenching today?

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamx2

Oct 25, 2004
Changing the ATF / filter in my old F250 E4OD and installing drain plug bung do that the job won't be as messy next time. I am pretty sure that I am going have to helicoil some pan bolt holes that were about to strip the last time I R&Red the pan.

Last edited:

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Last week, but I installed a new intake and reinforced my intercooler. Then I went to a local tuner to get it up on the dyno.

My vehicle's "SI drive" allows for three modes of throttle response within the same map. The only difference being how much "throttle" i actually get depending on my pedal position. This was shitty because I'm a shitty shifter that gets "used" to pressing the pedal so much and getting so much power. This meant I would get rough shifts or even stall when I went between modes. With a tune, I can now run a more effective 3 map system giving me the same throttle response, but different amounts of "power." The lowest mode is basically wastegate pressure giving me 10lbs of boost from the turbo and a much smoother application of power. The middle mode gives me 16-17lbs of boost (the dotted line). And then the high mode giving me 18-19lbs of boost (solid line)

jigWOpn.png

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Nice fix there. I can see how that would get old. My truck is the first I've had with an electronic throttle like that. It is a little eerie how it works sometimes.
Yes, I did not get the after pics. I did change the oil, put in 3 gallons of rotella T and a filter. Replaced the shattered fog light bulbs. I think I will need new assemblies to keep the water out but I'm taking a 1600 mile trip and would like to have fogs if needed.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
After snapping one axle and cracking the other one in the S2000, I'm chasing inner CV cup vibrations on my used replacements. Removed the cups (requires detaching the upper A-arms for hub clearance), and will swap them L/R with new Amsoil grease and try again. One of the "joys" of spherical suspension mounts is you can feel even the tiniest disturbance in the drivetrain.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Replaced the MAF sensor on my 05 Impala.

Car threw a P0102 code the week before turkey day. Started with a delayed acceleration from a stop, then the engine would stall if I was too hard on the throttle from a stop on an upward slope. Cleaned the sensor even though it seemed okay, air filter was almost perfectly clean...same problem. Got it diagnosed yesterday, sensor was apparently faulty. If my math is right the shop wanted 2x the local price just for the part. D:

Glad I did the work myself and saved myself $200. In hindsight skipping the diagnostic would've saved 300 but I couldn't be sure if there was a wiring issue.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Replaced the MAF sensor on my 05 Impala.

Car threw a P0102 code the week before turkey day. Started with a delayed acceleration from a stop, then the engine would stall if I was too hard on the throttle from a stop on an upward slope. Cleaned the sensor even though it seemed okay, air filter was almost perfectly clean...same problem. Got it diagnosed yesterday, sensor was apparently faulty. If my math is right the shop wanted 2x the local price just for the part. D:

Glad I did the work myself and saved myself $200. In hindsight skipping the diagnostic would've saved 300 but I couldn't be sure if there was a wiring issue.

those mafs are the worst pieces of junk.

if you pressed down hard enough on the plug end it would have ran fine.

so far the ones i have had the best luck with are the factory oe ones.

dorman and cardone don't last and ac delco here are screw you expensive.

if i were you i'd have modded in a 3.4/4.3/5.0/5.7 style maf in.

9k=
2_1_4.jpg

like this.

they never ever fail.

and they are so ubiquitous that they are always cheap.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Wife went to drive the M3 yesterday and it wouldn't even turn over or click. It's one of 4 cars we have available. I drove the Tundra to work, her Explorer was in the shop getting the blend door actuator replaced under warranty and she had to pick up my youngest son from school, so, she drove the maxima that sits out on the street. It fired right up... whew.

I got home from work and checked the battery. 7.06 volts. HMM I think one of my kids was messing with the keyfob and turned the under car lighting on. I need to rip all of that goofy crap out. I put the battery on the charger at 2 amps overnight and it showed good this morning. I took it off the trickle charger this morning and it was sitting at 13.19 volts. I'll see if it holds when I get home today and if it reads under 12.5 volts or so, I'll just replace it with a new one.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
My beater: changing lower radiator hose, changing oil, and replacing faulty headlight connector

Wife's car: changing oil, changing trans gear oil, changing rear diff gear oil, changing pads, changing rotors, bleeding brakes, and tire rotation.

ksheets

Aug 11, 2000
Just got done replacing the ballast in my 350Z. Headlight was out so I went and bought a new bulb ($100 !!). The ballast was also bad, So I ordered one off Ebay for $65.

Turns out you have to remove the front bumper to replace the headlight which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever encountered in car maintenance.

So...after $165 in parts and about 6 hours- job done, headlight working- Ticket paid!

Happy birthday to me (40 years old today)

bamx2

Oct 25, 2004
Replacef a front upper strut mount on a Volvo S40 . Nothing out of the ordinary , fortunately.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Just got done replacing the ballast in my 350Z. Headlight was out so I went and bought a new bulb ($100 !!). The ballast was also bad, So I ordered one off Ebay for $65.

Turns out you have to remove the front bumper to replace the headlight which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever encountered in car maintenance.

So...after $165 in parts and about 6 hours- job done, headlight working- Ticket paid!

Happy birthday to me (40 years old today)
Most cars now need bumper removal to replace headlight assembly to get to lower mounting bolts.

Many to replace bulb u might go thru fender liner at the very least, some require bumper removals as well.

U don't always have to pull the whole bumper off, just the side ur working on and leave it hanging.

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
Did upper control arms on the Explorer. First time ever attempting this and it was more of a PITA than I anticipated.

The ball joints were bad and it's recommended to remove the UCA to press out the old and press in the new. I figured since I'm pulling them anyway I might as well spend a little more and do the whole UCA on each side. Well the Chicago winters took a toll and both frame studs on each side were seized. My mondo impact couldn't budge them. Had to use a giant breaker bar. Add to that brake hard lines in the way and what should have been a two hour or so job per side took 5.5 on one and 4 on the other.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Procrastinated for a month in replacing the right engine mount on the Altima, all the dampening fluid has leaked out but I don't drive it much. Once the alternator finally gave up I took care of both, they sit right next to reach other anyway.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
sxE29go.jpg

Harmonic Damper Failed, was the original one was close to home so had it towed

8M1Uyv9.jpg

I have a carport with no light so I bought an 20Watt LED flood light on amazon for 8$ works amazingly which I just clamp on when I need it.

x95fCqS.jpg

97mLePR.jpg

Change Plugs
Changed Wires
Checked Compression
Cyl1:142
Cyl2:138
Cyl3:147
Cyl4:147
Cyl5:142
Cyl6:144

Spec is "120 psi to 150 psi, variation between cylinders is 30 psi.

Checked Fuel Pressure

This jeep is at ~150k or more, Carfax listed it at 169k in 09 but dash reads 138 now and it has wrong sized wheels so meh but its still going strong!

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
That straight six is such a great engine. May not win any drag races, but it will run forever.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
4656960083_b196b9c568_o.jpg

3674452534_774df3f68b_o.jpg

3234547423_c038b46491_o.jpg

3234547525_9ccd2e3d90_o.jpg

3547432296_7e5ab3ee39_o.jpg

20522922502_369639773a_o.jpg

May be because I'm 70 years old, half blind, mangled fingers, no teeth and have broken about every bone in my body over the years and still ride Breganzie's, Camaro's and Jeeps.

I no longer have my Garage and have to work outta of a 2nd story Senior's Apt but Wrenching keeps me going.

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Very nice!!

I am almost due for an oil change on the Speed6....4500 miles in the last 2 months. :eek: I have a small power steering leak too - hopefully it's only the the part I see leaking, and not something else. :p

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
That straight six is such a great engine. May not win any drag races, but it will run forever.
Related aside: one of my first cars was a Gremlin. It had run over the million mile mark before I got it, and had been generally abused (add-in decorative center brake light, decades-old added shag carpet, lots of bondo and epoxies...), but somehow avoided wrecks (being a flimsy unibody...). Over 30 years, a million+ miles (serial numbers did match, IIRC), and even with clearly dried up seals all over, corroding wires, etc., etc., it ran great, and barely used any oil (made random noises worse than an old house, though!). Max speed was only about 85MPH, but it could make it there in just seconds, if it was warmed up, and you'd gotten a feel for when it was about to spin the tires too fast to keep any traction.

That thing was such a death trap, 10x as much as other small old cars, with an engine that would have been fine for a 2500lb jeep in it D:. But, it was a pretty cool death trap. Sold it to a guy that was in some regional amateur classic car/hot-rod group, that was going to shine it up and soup it up with his son (who thought that falling-apart-around-the-drivetrain car was the coolest thing ever :)).

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Agree Gremlins and Jeeps are death traps. My wife came with a Gremlin and she drove it at -18C with the rad blown out complaining she had no heat - Wrench time - Love the old Gremlin - What a Tank.

Didn't have to pull the block of that Gremlin but the Head required re-machining and a back yard Cylinder Hone.

Traded that Gremlin for a 74 Volvo Station Wagon and she was hooked on Volvo's. Since 1968 - I still drive a Volvo as my main HWY Cruiser - Presently a 1984 GL 4 Dr Sedan with the ME2.3 EFI Lamba System - Bought 2nd hand in 1984 and still on the road. Easy to work on, cheap parts and cruises at 100mph+ in any weather - FAST.

My 1st Volvo was a 68 123S , 4 spd B2000 with twin SU's - Put 500,000 miles on her and never had to change out Calipers or Rotors. My favorite Volvo has to be the 1974 GL 2 Dr Coupe with the Mechanical Paddle Fuel Injection.

240's where easy to work on - 740's and later are a nightmare.

I sold the 70Z 460Ci 625Hp 7000 rpm SR BBC last summer - Been there did it - But I still have a Grumpy Jenkins 11:1 425Hp 8000 rpm 331 Ci SR SBC in the closet with a Jag XKE suspension and a 5 Spd Manual with OD.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
No wrenching for awhile. It's 31 degrees outside and my garage only has a patio heater and bullet style heater but why be out there doing stuff when its nice and warm in the basement where the computer, media center, and xbox are? :)

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
This weekend i did the following to the old Altima: right CV axle/shaft, inner and outer tie rod/ends both sides, left front wheel bearing. Alignment tomorrow.