who is wrenching today?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
I went from this
IMAG0040_zpszzi73lyx.jpg

to this
IMAG0050_zpskozrvc4c.jpg

Installed
- Vance + Hines Sideshot exhaust.
- Joker Machine speedo relocation kit
- Changed the handle bar risers from 4" to 1"
- Front fork shock boots
- BBQ paint on a few exposed parts while exhaust was off.

I'm more happy with it now. More comfortable seating position and the speedometer doesnt look like its ready to take my teeth out with every stop.
IMAG0051_zpsffsbi1mg.jpg

Next I want to chop the rear fender to make it much shorter.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Looks rad. Closeup of the speedo mod?
I pulled the control arms from my wife's car, installed Audi TT rear bushings and stock front bushings, ball joints. Rear brakes today.
I was going to just put it back in service but I had one of those "while it is on the lift" moments. F'n lifts.
Edit: I took the wheels/tires to my tire shop yesterday and had them rebalanced, I had felt some oddness and it did have some badly out of balance tires. I'll finish it up today between doing the EGR valve and tube on a friend's F350 gasser.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Ok, time to man up. I need to go get an actual good complete tool set. I have good screwdrivers and pliers, but only shitty imperial wrenches and no ratchets. Is Sears Craftsman still going to be my best bet? I've read the ratchets aren't very good any more, but I haven't seen any good alternatives suggested. Anyone know anything about this Gearwrench brand?

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I've had pretty good luck with Craftsman stuff, but I haven't beat on the newer ones I have. Keep an eye on slickdeals and you can usually get a really good deal on a large socket set.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I've been pretty impressed with Kobalt/husky stuff. There are deals every once in a while with kobalt tool sets from Lowe's. It is a long ways away, but they tend to have their 227 kit for $99 during black fridays. Personally, I trust Lowe's to be around longer than Sears. I also like the red/blue color bands on the sockets and the easy to read markings.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1318407/

I supplement mine with whatever tools go on sale or are cheap and seem to get good reviews. Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches, random craftsman/kobalt/husky stuff and other tools from harbor freight (yes, I know, but they work) like breaker bars, impact sockets, and torque wrenches.

EDIT: If you can live without easy to read sockets, you could do a lot worse than this kit. It has a lot of filler pieces to get the piece count up, but it can definitely get you started. Sign up for shop your way and I think there is a $10 off 100 coupon you can use.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-220pc...0000P?prdNo=12

Last edited:

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
Ok, time to man up. I need to go get an actual good complete tool set. I have good screwdrivers and pliers, but only shitty imperial wrenches and no ratchets. Is Sears Craftsman still going to be my best bet? I've read the ratchets aren't very good any more, but I haven't seen any good alternatives suggested. Anyone know anything about this Gearwrench brand?

Do you mean getting one of those socket sets? I find those not to be very good because it always has one or two sizes that you need but is missing from the set.

To be honest Harbour Freight stuff isn't all that bad as long as you use them for what it's intended for. (ex: don't use a cheater bar on the ratchets)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
most sets will have the Asian sizes, 12,14, 15, 17,19,21
If you work on US cars, you need a 13
German cars will toss in 16 and 18
I never find those sizes on the Asian cars, every once in a while maybe the 13 but not the 16 and 18
What I am saying is you can get by with the Asian sizes if that is what you have, but get them all if you plan on working on everything.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Changed the oil on my motorcycle and lubed up the chain. It is amazing how much of a difference clean oil makes when the transmission/clutch share engine oil.

Makes me wonder about the Lamborghini Muira....

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Finished up sanding my Integra today, it's going in for paint tomorrow morning.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Worked on crown vic yesterday. Had driven it to grocery and on way home started missing, limp mode activated, and yellow wrench on dash. Got it home and parked it. Figured it was alternator. Then no start. Swapped batteries, no start no turn over. Move gear selector to N in case it's a tranny sensor. No dice.

At this point I realize I should have pulled the code before swapping the battery. It's cold outside and I've got no garage so I call the tow truck. When he shows up the damn car starts right up. No codes, no problems. WTF? I call off the tow because I think it's dumb to send it to the shop when it's now working and no dash lights lit. Gonna drive it around some and see if it does it again. Right now I'm stumped.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Don't forget the humble 10mm socket, used everywhere on Japanese cars.

And dont forget lots of American cars too. Brake calipers come to mind.
I invested in those new "Die" from craftsman. Does like 6 different type of bolts I think?
Those star bolts on calipers require that or a 12 point.

HELL, most of the "guys" in Sears (Read KIDS) look at me when I ask "where are the single 12 point sockets?".

10 MM and half inch (3/8ths drive) I bought tose single.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Do you mean getting one of those socket sets? I find those not to be very good because it always has one or two sizes that you need but is missing from the set.

To be honest Harbour Freight stuff isn't all that bad as long as you use them for what it's intended for. (ex: don't use a cheater bar on the ratchets)

My friend used a 2 foot pipe on a 1/2 inch drive craftsman ratchet.
I have done so MANY MANY times in the past. His is very new and I presume made in China... Mine..... Is old as am I. His knuckles swelled to three times the size when he sheared the gears and smashed them on the block.
I was in HF the other day looking at their breaker bars. Looks like the pin is actually a screw (bolt?) made from the same metal as impact sockets. I think that is an upgrade as opposed to a cold rolled pin. To me, that seems impressive.
I will pick up a 3/8 and a halfie next trip.

goobernoodles

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2005
Changed the oil on my 96 Cherokee for the first time since buying it this summer and holy isht was the oil filter on there. What is with the Pepboys and Penzoils of the world and either over-tightening the living crap out of oil filters and lug nuts or doing the complete opposite?

On the other end of the spectrum, about 4-5 years ago, before I really started doing much of my own work, I took my car to a Midas for a "free brake check" just to double-check that my pads were indeed needing to be replaced. Dumb fucks didn't tighten the lugs on one of my wheels beyond finger tightening and the wheel almost fell off. That's criminal negligence in my mind.

Either way, I'm investing in an oil filter wrench that actually fits my vehicles. I now own two that are too big and too small. lol

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Changed the oil on my 96 Cherokee for the first time since buying it this summer and holy isht was the oil filter on there. What is with the Pepboys and Penzoils of the world and either over-tightening the living crap out of oil filters and lug nuts or doing the complete opposite?

On the other end of the spectrum, about 4-5 years ago, before I really started doing much of my own work, I took my car to a Midas for a "free brake check" just to double-check that my pads were indeed needing to be replaced. Dumb fucks didn't tighten the lugs on one of my wheels beyond finger tightening and the wheel almost fell off. That's criminal negligence in my mind.

Either way, I'm investing in an oil filter wrench that actually fits my vehicles. I now own two that are too big and too small. lol

I hear you on the over tightened oil filters. Some guys really Hercules them on.
IMAG0404.jpg

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
I've noticed on my Miata that even if I only gently tighten down the oil filter when I install it, it takes a lot more effort to remove it when I go to change the oil. Not sure if it's a function of the filter, the fact that I race it, or what.

Biggu

Jan 3, 2014
Coilovers for my ISF arrive today, Not sure If im going to install them or wait since its -8F here right now, I don't think my garage heater can keep.

Ill probably take my time and 22PLE or opti-coat the coilovers first before putting them on anyways.