who is wrenching today?

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Going to be cleaning and rearranging my watercooling loops. Need to check a pump and swap some parts around.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Started a cooling system overhaul on my E39 and ordered beisan seals for the vanos rebuild.
This is her

scaled.php

If time permits I may actually take the Z on a spirited drive.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I pulled the front bumper, front sway-bar, and drivers door panel off of my 1972 Volvo 1800ES. Those were the last items that needed to be stripped. Then, I loaded it onto a car trailer as the body man took it away (along with 2 grand more cash). If all goes well, I'll drop off a bit more cash and have the car back in 4 weeks with the metal work done and the car in primer.

By then I should have my new engine, I'll swap the engine in and give it back for paint. If things REALLY go well, I'll yank the dash out of my parts car, have it re-upholstered and put that into my car while I do the engine swap. But, I'm not counting on that at the moment. I'm a bit freaked out when I step into the garage and my car isn't there. But, I'm also stoked. I've never owned a car with a perfect paint job (either factory new or fresh from paint shop). I'm a little nervous I won't drive it as much when she's done, but I'll worry about that when the time comes... Right now I'm just excited that my car is finally moving further along.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That's cool, Ken. Pretty exciting times, shipping it off to the body shop.
I got the air system plumbed and all the bags and circuits are under test. Put the dash back together, with the ashtray out of it. I'll make a custom switch panel to go in there.
New electric brake controller installed. Did not get the fuse/relay done today. Tomorrow I'll work on that, put it up on a lift and pull the valve body for some customizing. Time to get 2nd gear lockup on the torque converter.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
Did rotors on Impala. Had done the brakes a while back and thought the rotors were fine... wrong.

Also installed TPS on the Jeep and changed the oil.

EDIT - Brakes not breaks. <-IDIOT

Last edited:

IHAVEAQUESTION

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Worked on my front motor mount. 98 Accord LX-V6.

Found out I need a deep socket to work on the bolt dedans the mount. Glad I didn't go far enough to have a D'oh moment.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The transmission was too dirty to leave in there :( I pulled it last night and sent to the local rebuilders. They will build me a transmission with a multi-disk TQ using my billet core, for about 2 bills. It is good for up to 800 foot pounds, about the max I want to build anyway.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
No pics, but I finally got around to doing something today!!

Finished wiring on my nitrous kit so it's ready. Ran the wiring for my wideband and fuel pressure gauges. Tested the wideband and it seems to be working good but didn't test the fuel pressure gauge yet. Unfortunately have no where to mount either of my guages though. I thought I had a dual pod but either I never ordered it or I lost it.

I need to do some quick tuning before the 20th, track day is HERE!

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i put new wheels on the Supra this past weekend, and addressed some noises that were coming from the front left brake caliper while i had the wheels off...turns out that one of the two bolts holding the caliper in place was loose and had backed out ~2 threads or so o_O...so i tightened down the caliper and solved that problem.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Today started out with some excitement. The neighbor (where I have my truck up on the lift ) calls and asks me to recover his A4 from the road in front of my house. He ran back and took a different rig to work. All I know is something is broken in the right front, Something bad.
I go take a look. Tire is stuffed up into the fender and back. I go drag a jack down the road (maybe 75 yards of gravel) and start easing it up. It is right on the ground.
I block it up and see the front control arm has fractured at the ball joint. The CV joint is also detonated. I take some bubblegum and a cargo strap, and get it where it will roll.
Go back and get the lawn tractor and drag it back to my place.
duplo-quattro.jpg

I almost made it, but the bubblegum gave out. I had to cut the strap off, take the wheel off and make it rollable again for the last 20 feet.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Explain the bubblegum stuff, please!
The lower control arm broke off right around the ball joint. This dropped the car onto the tire. I used a cargo strap and some baling wire to hold it together enough to roll it home. Back in the day it was a saying, "held together with baling wire and bubblegum", for anything that was slapped together temporarily.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
New vanos seals are in and about to put on my dexter gloves and get cracking!

Had trouble sleeping so I came in at 5am to work on my e39 pictured above.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Today started out with some excitement. The neighbor (where I have my truck up on the lift ) calls and asks me to recover his A4 from the road in front of my house. He ran back and took a different rig to work. All I know is something is broken in the right front, Something bad.
I go take a look. Tire is stuffed up into the fender and back. I go drag a jack down the road (maybe 75 yards of gravel) and start easing it up. It is right on the ground.
I block it up and see the front control arm has fractured at the ball joint. The CV joint is also detonated. I take some bubblegum and a cargo strap, and get it where it will roll.
Go back and get the lawn tractor and drag it back to my place.
duplo-quattro.jpg

I almost made it, but the bubblegum gave out. I had to cut the strap off, take the wheel off and make it rollable again for the last 20 feet.

Had a similar experience with my old A4, control arm came off at the ball joint. Had to lip it home at like 5mph.

LOL @ a lawn mower dragging a car sitting on a rolling jack in one corner.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
well I did not drag it with the jack under it. I had to jack it up and fixor it a little more. when this one came down, it was hard on the rim and the fender too. No moving it.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
transmission is in and filled. I got 4 gallons and have about a quart left.
Started the belly pan yesterday. I have to give up the lift in a few hours, so it will be about 50% done.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Installing a sparco racing seat...my ass was sliding all over the place last track day. This should keep me nice and snug, while allowing for greater car feel

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Which model did you go for?

I bought a used sparco roadster seat. Not a full on racing seat. But it should work, I hope..hehe

edit:

so it took longer than I thought it would take...I didn't realize i had to reuse and relocate the seat belt and airbag sensors.

2cntmwy.jpg

the seat feels great and is very snug. Still easy to get in/out of the car. and the material isn't slidey like the stock seats

Last edited:

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Changed the oil and filter in my truck yesterday. I wonder if anyone else feels like this - Everytime I do an oil change I am paranoid the first day that I didn't tighten down the pan bolt or the filter enough and I'll leak out all the oil fast. It's only after a day of not seeing anything do I stop thinking about it.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Changed the oil and filter in my truck yesterday. I wonder if anyone else feels like this - Everytime I do an oil change I am paranoid the first day that I didn't tighten down the pan bolt or the filter enough and I'll leak out all the oil fast. It's only after a day of not seeing anything do I stop thinking about it.
Nope. I have faith in the laws of physics.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
well don't let your paranoia get the best of you...if you over-tighten the pan bolt for fear that you didn't tighten it enough, you could easily strip the hole's threading...after all, the oil pan is just sheet metal, and its not very thick at that.