who is wrenching today?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Picked up an HY35 turbo Saturday, got it in tonight. Stock HX35 has a 12 CM housing, this HY is 9 CM. I thought I'd try it out and see how it spools.
It spools great :) It goes live at 1600 RPM and right to the wastegate at 31 PSI. EGT's are OK with the small injectors.

Dude thats friggin sweet.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Dude thats friggin sweet.
Thanks man. It is a little under-injected as the EGT's would top out at 1050 F or so, no matter what I did on a hill. The torque peak is right there at 1600. I'll estimate it at about 575 ft pounds till I get it to the dyno again.
A friend of mine is a porting guru, and he offered to port and match my spare manifold and both turbos. I can't wait to see how much that moves the spooling down.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks man. It is a little under-injected as the EGT's would top out at 1050 F or so, no matter what I did on a hill. The torque peak is right there at 1600. I'll estimate it at about 575 ft pounds till I get it to the dyno again.
A friend of mine is a porting guru, and he offered to port and match my spare manifold and both turbos. I can't wait to see how much that moves the spooling down.

Man it helps having good friends doesn't it. Cant tell you how many times I have been bailed out of a mistake because a friend pointed me in the right direction. Wont tell you how many times I had given up on something to have a friend actually do for me lol

Porting is such an art form. MAD respect for people who do it.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Man it helps having good friends doesn't it. Cant tell you how many times I have been bailed out of a mistake because a friend pointed me in the right direction. Wont tell you how many times I had given up on something to have a friend actually do for me lol

Porting is such an art form. MAD respect for people who do it.
This guy has ported several race engines of many sizes and types, and he lost the pictures from the last time he ported a Cummins manifold.
He wants to re-document the procedures so I should have pics when I get it done.

merlion

May 2, 2003
Maybe not "true" wrenching, but I'll be installing an iSimple ipod adapter in my son's '07 Accord today.

merlion

May 2, 2003
Yes they are. I've got a small bookshelf system in the garage just for that purpose.

The install went well. Total time start to finish was about 1:15, and that was with being all anal about wire management. I think my son will be happy with the result. He had originally bought one of those devices that is supposed to use an open FM radio frequency to transmit the ipod over, but that was crap and I had him return it.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
im gonna strip the tint off my civic tonite, then start sanding it (the car, not the tint) down for new paint. getting it retinted this weekend. my next project is a catalytic converter for my ram 1500, 230k miles and it started to spit out codes for it.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i am finishing up installing 120 watts of solar power on my slide in, got the wiring and charge controller in yesterday. large posts and wire go to battery, I will be hooking up the inverter to the posts also.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Nothing much, topping off battery, fluids, tire pressure and checking for steel belts poking out, etc on the Camry before a trip to Phoenix this weekend because JLee owe's me some rides :awe:

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Picked up an HY35 turbo Saturday, got it in tonight. Stock HX35 has a 12 CM housing, this HY is 9 CM. I thought I'd try it out and see how it spools.
It spools great :) It goes live at 1600 RPM and right to the wastegate at 31 PSI. EGT's are OK with the small injectors.

31 psi....

Damn diesel bastards! ;)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
31 psi....

Damn diesel bastards! ;)
Hehe, and stuffed down on 17:1 compression to boot! The HX35 is Ok up to about 37 PSI before it turns into a heater, this HY35 really gets out of the map above 30.
I am standing at the top of a slippery slope, littered with head studs and fire rings and all sorts of twins. New studs and I could go 60+ PSI on stock internals.
The only thing keeping me off the slope is the ever-rising price of fuel :D

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Installed a new steering box on a friend's 2004 Dodge CTD. We used the lift next door. Took a hot wrench to persuade the pitman arm to let go.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
photo1do.jpg

Cleared a code on this and did oil change.

would have done for free!

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
On the S2000: Swapped back to stock exhaust, installed re-valved rear Bilsteins, flipped rear sway bar to properly clear stock exhaust, replaced missing front aero flap. Still need to reflash the ECU with map for the stock exhaust.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Wheel width is staggered, but not diameter, and the CTS-V has same size tires all around. Brake bias and piston size has more to do with braking than simply rotor size, though, maybe the larger brake rotors in the rear (non-vented in the MR2, IIRC) are for heat dissipation more than anything else?
fixed

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Switched to summer wheels about 3 weeks ago.

Clayed the paint a few days ago. Does that count?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Switched to summer wheels about 3 weeks ago.

Clayed the paint a few days ago. Does that count?

Clay bar done proper is harder than some things a mechanic does so hell yes.

Doing a head gasket on a e39 right now that is kicking my ass.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
What's up today, wrenching fiends?
I will install the air gauge and switches for the airbag system, and wire in a couple of switches and clean things up while the dash is apart.
Install a second fuse/relay/diode box out of pull-a-part for all the electrical changes I have made.
I scored a box out of a 2000 ford windstar van. It had the nicest selection of options for it, had the fusible mains links, and two diode jacks. Diodes are handy when customizing stuff. I loaded it will all the fuses, relays, and breakers I wanted for $6.95 out the door.