who is wrenching today?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I am on a staycation. Wanted to have my bodywork fixed prior...when to the shop Friday and they did it a lot better. However; things were still off. They told me "it's perfect".

anyway today I did it myself, I got my front bumper aligned. They left out about 12" of a metal plate on both sides. 2 spacers. 16 of the proper fasteners.

It's nice and tight now.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Replaced the injectors on the Cummins with a slightly larger set. Had to adjust the idle accordingly. Went out to the beach with the 5th wheel in tow, averaged 14.9 MPG with a mix of towing a 10,000 pound tall trailer @ 65 and driving around town at 30.
I think the new injectors made a difference :)
Tomorrow I'll pull the dash and replace the leaky heater core.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Late night wrenching on the S4. Turns out that knock sensors are pretty sensitive to the torque and my "25NM plus some more for a good measure" method wasn't exactly conducive. Another part of the shop manual said 20NM, so I re-torqued them down. We'll see if the random misses come back this afternoon.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
The 47 year old generator on my Corvair finally needs a rebuild. It probably only needs new brushes and the commutator cleaned, but I think that since I'm collecting parts to put A/C in the car, I'll go ahead and convert to a 65 amp internally regulated alternator (generator is rated at 29 amps). Wrenching starts tonight.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
Working on four different cars today.

Mine is getting new transmission fluid, a new transmission filter, and a front wheel bearing; the Saturn is getting a bath; the Van is also getting new transmission fluid and a new filter, and the latest addition to the stable of family vehicles ('93 Lincoln Mark VIII) is getting an inspection to see what that squeak is and why the e-brake let go the same day it was purchased.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Did the heater core today. I had help from the neighbor and tons of links, and a NAPA core with swiveling tubes. The original would have required a full dash-ectomy and pull the box back from the firewall, and dump the freon, and and and......
We took out 16 screws and a couple of bolts, roped the dash back at an angle, cut the old tubes, pulled out the core and tubes, and worked the new core back in. Took us 3 hours!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
THAT was the problem! LOL!

Dash loose and roped back:

2nd&

Hole punched in top of core, and compressed air used to blow coolant back into engine. I had drained about a gallon out.
No coolant leakage into cab when I cut the tubes with air 90.

heatercore2.jpg

It took both of us to finagle the tubes through the firewall when installing the new core.

Last edited:

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Replaced a >$1.00 O-ring today on my Accord that fixed a horrendous groaning noise when the power steering pump was cold. So glad I didn't have to replace the entire pump! :)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
The Forester got a VF39 turbo yesterday - STi intercooler goes on whenever I get the parts that I'm missing.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
HAha! you couldn't resist:)

Haha nope...also helped that my stock TD04 was blowing enough smoke to make James Bond proud! Keep an eye out for a thread on it..I'll try to remember to take a video of the shaft play and post it up. :p

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Put a new starter in my SW2 the other night.. After replacing the entire subframe and entire airbag system including module, that was child's play. (even though the top bolt is a major pain in the rear)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The saturn wagons were always interesting to me. I wish my 96 SC2 was RWD. I had a classic edition ( http://30moons.com/96SC2mine.php ), most didn't believe me when I said it was a Saturn.

Now my wife's 00 SL2 is different. Still she loves it, she paid cash for it in 2000 when she came here from Japan for her first long-term H1B project. She felt it was 'peppier' than the Honda/Toyota's she was first looking at.

The original Saturn's were designed to be ease of maintenance. Not sure of the most recent. Everything in my 96 and my wife's SL2 was pretty easy to do. The one flaw is the oil filter is simple to get too, but dumps out on the passenger axle. I fabricated a plastic catch can that fit under the filter and flowed the fluid to my pan when I removed it. Not thinking I gave it and my FSM to the guy that bought my 96. My wife's 00 is the same.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
It's not my car, otherwise I would have gone with a different bumper, but yeah its the nismo bumper. We found some coolant on the ground underneath the car a few days ago. Everything was dry except around the oil drain plug..... uh oh.... We took the drain plug off and guess what came out? Yeah...most of the coolant. My friend put 370z gaskets on it bc he said it would work, so either its the gaskets or the block is bad :( Or maybe its something else....not sure yet. The heads are fine - we used his stock heads. We did put a scope in the cylinders and we didnt find any coolant.

Looks like we're pulling the motor again.

Imo suggest the K2 and Black out the intercooler for some stealth.

The K2 is +40 hp

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Installed a Comptech header on the S2000 and updated the engine management software.

Holy crap that thing was a bitch to squeeze in.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Swapped out the air & cabin filter on my '06 Saab 9-3 Aero. 53K miles.

Bought Mann filters, manufactured in Germany, on Amazon for under $20 each.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Ok, so I didn't do the wrenching myself, but the S2000 got a custom alignment in the morning and was dynotuned in the evening by Blacktrax Performance. The sound of the car on the dyno nearly split my skull in two.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Replaced the spark plugs, did an oil change, compression test and ran some sea foam through my Z this evening. The cars idle was sticking and it was occasionally mis-fireing.

Here are the plugs after I pulled them out, can anyone find the problem here?
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1396/photomo.jpg

There were three plugs that had damaged electrodes but this one in peticular was really bad; http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1463/photo1tm.jpg

Compression was all normal but I sense some engine work in my future...