who is wrenching today?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
vq35tt-19.jpg

bumper is on
Gonna swap bumpers this weekend, too, and check out the extent of the damage of my collision :(

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
That had nothing to do with being a no name pump....that was probably the wrong application.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Not wrenching today, but this week I changed the alternator and belt on my old GMC Sonoma. It was a fairly easy job, very accessible, but it took me longer to find the two parts than to actually do the work. For some reason everybody was OOS on the belt. I replaced the downstream O2 sensor on my '98 Accord last weekend too, I may flush the cooling system and change the thermostat this weekend and I need to check the rear drums (making a grunting noise when coming to a stop).

It also looks like the starter on my pontoon boat is dead again, I just replaced it about 6 months ago. There must be some sort of electrical problem but I'm not going to track it down right now.

tbike06

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006
I replaced the sway bar endlinks on my '91 Accord this week. Surprisingly it was easier than I expected. PB Blaster works great. :)
My brake pads looked pretty shot though so now I need to do those....

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Doing some small car odd jobs today including cleaning both of them.
Got some new trans fluid to try in the Saturn, (manual) and fixing a hack repair job to the rear bumper of my Max. (not installed correctly when painted)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Dealership wants $150 for an oil change. I think I'll do it myself.

mercedes? porsche?

You can get them done outside a dealership a lot less.

I don't bother with oil changes anymore. Especially when most let you bring your own fluids and filter around here.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
mercedes? porsche?

You can get them done outside a dealership a lot less.

I don't bother with oil changes anymore. Especially when most let you bring your own fluids and filter around here.

BMW. The oil alone only costs $50-$65.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
vq35tt-19.jpg

bumper is on

Looks like a Nismo bumper? Any reason you didn't go with ones that didn't cover the FMIC? Like the K2 or Kuruma. Looks good either way.. wish I had the cash to go FI on mine. You should put the black mesh to cover the bumper vents for the sleeper look. ;)

I just picked up a new LSD (ATS Carbon) which will be in hopefully by the end of the month. Probably gonna switch to a 3.7 or 4.083 FD while I'm at it.

Last edited:

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Looks like a Nismo bumper? Any reason you didn't go with ones that didn't cover the FMIC? Like the K2 or Kuruma. Looks good either way.. wish I had the cash to go FI on mine. You should put the black mesh to cover the bumper vents for the sleeper look. ;)

I just picked up a new LSD (ATS Carbon) which will be in hopefully by the end of the month. Probably gonna switch to a 3.7 or 4.083 FD while I'm at it.

It's not my car, otherwise I would have gone with a different bumper, but yeah its the nismo bumper. We found some coolant on the ground underneath the car a few days ago. Everything was dry except around the oil drain plug..... uh oh.... We took the drain plug off and guess what came out? Yeah...most of the coolant. My friend put 370z gaskets on it bc he said it would work, so either its the gaskets or the block is bad :( Or maybe its something else....not sure yet. The heads are fine - we used his stock heads. We did put a scope in the cylinders and we didnt find any coolant.

Looks like we're pulling the motor again.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I think you need to get another friend for your friend when he works on his car.

Sounds like he bought more than he can afford.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
It's not my car, otherwise I would have gone with a different bumper, but yeah its the nismo bumper. We found some coolant on the ground underneath the car a few days ago. Everything was dry except around the oil drain plug..... uh oh.... We took the drain plug off and guess what came out? Yeah...most of the coolant. My friend put 370z gaskets on it bc he said it would work, so either its the gaskets or the block is bad :( Or maybe its something else....not sure yet. The heads are fine - we used his stock heads. We did put a scope in the cylinders and we didnt find any coolant.

Looks like we're pulling the motor again.

yikes!

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
I think you need to get another friend for your friend when he works on his car.

Sounds like he bought more than he can afford.

lol yeah, right? He did buy more than he can afford. It was only supposed to be an engine build/rods but it turned into a twin turbo build with a manual transmission swap. We have two certified mechanics working on the car. One who has worked as one for 30+ years.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Ewww nasty. Hope it wasn't run too long/hard like that. Just reading about someone else makes me want to puke.

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Changed the brake pads, calipers, and rotors on my friends 2000 Mustang, as part of an overhaul he's doing on it. Also stuck in new struts. Banjo is leaking on the front lines though. He's going to change the washers, and see if that fixes it.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Last weekend: EBC yellows up front + caliper & slider lube + Brembo Dot3 brake fluid flush upfront, amp rack for stereo

This weekend: Rear brake fluid flush, hopefully installing amp rack + amps + wiring things up

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Switching from Redline MT-90 to Amsoil MTG in the Max.
In a quest to get the 02/03 6MT trans to actually shift like it should.

Probably ordering some shifter bushings for it today too.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I replaced the rear bumper on my sweet 96 Dakota. The old one was rusted right through on the step, found one cheap on Craigslist to replace it.

Also trying to diagnose electrical drain problems on my Mark VIII. What a pain in the arse that's turning out to be. I almost convinced it's a bad battery, but I'm not quite sure yet.