Who is Osama Bin Laden? Are people really this stupid?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
tumblr_lklp15mesn1qzq4qro1_500.jpeg

:eek: D: :'(

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
He as one of the guys that flew a plane into the WTC. He bailed out before it hit. GWB was flying the other one. They were using urban camo, so you can't see the chutes in the videos.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'm betting most of those are trollbait from lonely sad people.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Those people are allowed to vote?

And we wonder why our government is in the shape it is?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
"Are people really this stupid?"

Here you are asking this question. These people wouldn't even make my top 10 list of stupid people. They wouldn't make my top 10 list of stupid people just from this forum, if they were indeed members here. They wouldn't make my top 100 list if you included P&N.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
These are people that are self absorbed and care about things like "do I have enough hair product for the rest of the week?", "I hope I remember to update the playlist on my IPod", and "When is the season opener of Jersey Shore?"

Unfortunately, that's a large percentage of people under 20 :(

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
These are people that are self absorbed and care about things like "do I have enough hair product for the rest of the week?", "I hope I remember to update the playlist on my IPod", and "When is the season opener of Jersey Shore?"

Unfortunately, that's a large percentage of people under 20 :(

Essentially this. Their universe is so small that they only care about that which is immediately around them.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm sure some are trolling, but also some are quite young. He hasn't really been at the forefront of news for a few years so younger kids may truly not know. It's sad but true.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I'm sure some are trolling, but also some are quite young. He hasn't really been at the forefront of news for a few years so younger kids may truly not know. It's sad but true.
My first reaction was troll, but then I did some Googling earlier and came by this.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384822,00.asp

As I watched the crowds outside the White House on Sunday night, it seemed like many were college students from nearby George Washington University, and I wondered what many of them remembered from 9/11, seeing as how they were maybe eight or nine years old at the time.

While that's probably old enough to remember certain elements of the day, especially if they knew someone affected by the attacks, it appears that some younger teenagers aren't as up to speed. According to data released yesterday by Yahoo, about 66 percent of those who searched "Who is Osama bin Laden" shortly after the announcement were in the 13 to 17 age bracket.

They were, of course between the ages of 3 and 7 when the attacks occured so the question might not be that shocking. One might argue that at least they're interested in learning more. Yahoo said that "news of Osama bin Laden's death seemed to have struck a chord with younger folks who grew up during the war on terrorism."

But what about the 34 percent of people over 18 searching the same thing? Seems like they might want to check out the news now and then.
D:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
*sigh*.... that's pathetic. My brother was 9 when that shit happened and he absolutely knows who Osama is. Fucking pathetic people who are to self absorbed to realize there's an entire world outside of the one they live in in their head.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
You've got to understand, it's been almost 10 years since 9/11, so most people under the age of 18 probably don't remember it very well, or at all.

So take your average 16 year old, with below average intelligence, and who doesn't watch the news, maybe they heard the name, but they're not going to know who he is either.

I'm not justifying their ignorance, but it doesn't surprise me that some people don't know who he is.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
It certainly is an age thing, it should come as no surprise.

What I was thinking as well. Looking at some of the pics (albeit really tiny pics) most of them look younger than 20.

Then again, I was in 3rd grade (8ish) during the Oklahoma City bombing and I remember talking about it in class and I very much remember/know who Timothy McVeigh is.

It's probably that they're stupid and more than likely couldn't tell you what channel the local news airs on.