Who is more happy today?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
What is wrong with a 1060 6GB? Are you gaming at 4K or 1440p@144Mhz?

whats wrong with 10fps in games right?
whats wrong with changing settings to low?
whats wrong with just taking a nap and pretending you played the game?
whats wrong with buying a card that plays 1440p?

like i said 10 years ago 1080p was OK. but even back then i had a FW900 and ran 1440@80hz..

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

like i said 10 years ago 1080p was OK. but even back then i had a FW900 and ran 1440@80hz..
Dude the 1060 gets more then 10fps even in the most demanding games.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Dude the 1060 gets more then 10fps even in the most demanding games.

well you didn't say what settings what game etc.. yes it gets more than 10fps.. that was a joke if you couldn't tell from the rest of the post but it certainly is a budget bottom of barrel card to me. for you maybe its so wonderful, i don't even play games much but when i do i like constant fps and 4k rez, fps maybe 1440 to make sure no disadvantages. but i dont know why you are arguing so heavily toward the 1060 6gb its a 200$ card at the most right?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
well you didn't say what settings what game etc.. yes it gets more than 10fps.. that was a joke if you couldn't tell from the rest of the post but it certainly is a budget bottom of barrel card to me. for you maybe its so wonderful, i don't even play games much but when i do i like constant fps and 4k rez, fps maybe 1440 to make sure no disadvantages. but i dont know why you are arguing so heavily toward the 1060 6gb its a 200$ card at the most right?
Actually if I was going to buy a new video card it would be at least a 1070 level one. But at current prices? I'm not buying since my 970 plays the game I have just fine at 2560x1600p....

Reactions: happy medium

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Actually if I was going to buy a new video card it would be at least a 1070 level one. But at current prices? I'm not buying since my 970 plays the game I have just fine at 2560x1600p....

Oh i see, thats why you are fighting for the 1060 so much. 980ti a few years ago was 320, 1080ti for 450 recently.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I upgraded from Fury 4GB(around RX580 performance) to Vega 8GB mainly because of Vram. It was not enough. If Fury had 8GB I would still have it and would not upgrade. So nobody will tell me 4GB is all you need. I don't even want to comment on 3GB 1060 <- ridiculous.

RX590 is not even available in 4GB variant and it's still almost the same RX480 chip.
Gaming at 1440p or 4k?
The plain Fury card is faster than a gtx1060,580 and could game better at 1440p hence why 4gb might not be enough.
At 1080p it would be fine.

Reactions: Ottonomous

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

You Do realize that 90% of gamers game at 1080p,right?
4k is like .2%

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Steam Hardware Survey.

I copied the data into Excel, sorted by percentage, and highlighted the 3 "primary" resolutions for modern displays.

I think the spirit of his statement was correct, even if the exact figures weren't. Only 7% of gamers use something above 1080p, and that's if you include 1920x1200 in that figure. You might pick up slightly more from the mysterious "Other" category, which is presumably everyone running their games at 480p to feel good about their CPU purchase, but it's not going to be much more.

The point is that ~93% of the market is gaming at 1080p or below. The main knock against the 1060 3 GB is that it's likely to have a shorter shelf life than the 6 GB version, so it's all a matter of how often someone upgrades. If you want to be able to hold onto a card for 6 years, that memory limitation is probably going to be a much bigger deal.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
The GTX 1060 6GB is a faster card than the 3GB model even if it had had the same amount of VRAM

It always depends on pricing though. Unless we're talking about the low end GPUs, and the difference only is 50 USD, IMO you should go for the model with higher VRAM. I've seen enough of the 512MB vs 1GB, 1GB vs 2GB and so on to have my belief more VRAM always is better long term, and nowadays I like not having to upgrade even within five years.
You can motivate the lower VRAM if you're prepared to upgrade within three years.

The saving grace for the low end GPUs in general today is that they've become viable for decent gaming due to the PS4 and Xbox One still being the baseline.

Reactions: mohit9206

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
1440 gameplay? 1080 is more than 10 years ago.

i SAID DECENT hahaha 1060? i really dont feel like a 1060 is mid anything those are bottom of barrel.

This seems like a troll comment, but I'll bite (small/caps, bad grammar). 1060 is still the most popular card for a reason, but likely to take a serious hit from the RX 570/580 as the prices now are half (for me at least) for the AMD cards. Some of us have wife/kids/mortgages/cabins/other interests and don't spend all of our disposable income on computer games/hardware, whether we can afford it or not.

These cards at 1080p are all you need. Anything more is overkill and really just a dumb waste of $, unless there is a specific reason you need to upgrade (i.e. more than 3-4GB VRAM to play DCS without stutters, want to go to a larger monitor than 24 or 27").

What I fail to understand (since I'm reading all of these stories every day about the glut of 1060's on the market) is the price of Nvidia cards right now. I paid $250 CDN ($185 USD) for an ASUS Strix 1060 3GB card back in 2016 and that same card is $342 CDN right now? The very cheapest single-fan 3GB 1060 on Newegg is $292 CDN all-in ($216 USD) today. I'm looking at an 8GB MSI RX 570 for my youngest son's PC that will cost me $179 CDN ($132 USD) all-in. The 570 is roughly the same performance as the 1060 3GB. What gives Nvidia? They can't be that desperate to unload inventory. Or is their brilliant strategy to wait until AMD takes all of their market share and then drop the card prices?!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You Do realize that 90% of gamers game at 1080p,right?
4k is like .2%

Is this not a enthusiast site?
how many % of anandtech'ers run at 1080p?
what do people use gfx cards greater than 1070 for then?
How are these stats even taken?
so i am one of those 1% on this survey thats so cool, but sorry i dont believe it. I cant read the survey from this computer so not sure what the sample was even taken from and HOW. They took a sample from a child's game from 3 years ago? what % of games on steam are offered in 4k.

what are all these high res gaming monitors being sold for? people buy 2080ti for 1080p? titan gfx 1080p!!! must be those 1%ers right!?

So who is the most happy? those who dont have to buy bottle of barrel cards ;)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
This seems like a troll comment, but I'll bite (small/caps, bad grammar). 1060 is still the most popular card for a reason, but likely to take a serious hit from the RX 570/580 as the prices now are half (for me at least) for the AMD cards. Some of us have wife/kids/mortgages/cabins/other interests and don't spend all of our disposable income on computer games/hardware, whether we can afford it or not.

These cards at 1080p are all you need. Anything more is overkill and really just a dumb waste of $, unless there is a specific reason you need to upgrade (i.e. more than 3-4GB VRAM to play DCS without stutters, want to go to a larger monitor than 24 or 27").

What I fail to understand (since I'm reading all of these stories every day about the glut of 1060's on the market) is the price of Nvidia cards right now. I paid $250 CDN ($185 USD) for an ASUS Strix 1060 3GB card back in 2016 and that same card is $342 CDN right now? The very cheapest single-fan 3GB 1060 on Newegg is $292 CDN all-in ($216 USD) today. I'm looking at an 8GB MSI RX 570 for my youngest son's PC that will cost me $179 CDN ($132 USD) all-in. The 570 is roughly the same performance as the 1060 3GB. What gives Nvidia? They can't be that desperate to unload inventory. Or is their brilliant strategy to wait until AMD takes all of their market share and then drop the card prices?!

yea thats cool we all have our choices in life what to spend money on. I have a wife/kids/mortgages, no car payments as i pay cash and buy with around 10,000 miles. Some people choose to spend 200$ on going out to dinner, drinking, 500$ car payments etc etc. Me well i like to either spend on travelling or things that i can resell in the future or give away. Each gfx card is passed down through the ranks. From me to my son to his grandma or to be sold.

i wonder what monitor you pair your computer gaming with, maybe a 17" lcd from 1990? A few things i never have skimped on display / gfx.
I am still running a 3770k but dying to upgrade just need a good reason.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
so i am one of those 1% on this survey thats so cool, but sorry i dont believe it. I cant read the survey from this computer so not sure what the sample was even taken from and HOW. They took a sample from a child's game from 3 years ago? what % of games on steam are offered in 4k.

what are all these high res gaming monitors being sold for? people buy 2080ti for 1080p? titan gfx 1080p!!! must be those 1%ers right!?

The problem with the enthusiast argument is that we upgrade a lot more often. And if said enthusiast has a 4K monitor, they would buy a high end card anyway, which already comes with a high VRAM amount or they'd have to use low end settings, as 4K is demanding. A 1070 already has 8Gb VRAM. It doesn't have a higher VRAM option and 1070's are great for 1080p 144hz, which is another segment of the enthusiast market. If they are using a 1060 at 4K, then they'd have to get used to lowering setting a lot, despite the VRAM.

Then general rule is to get the best GPU you can in your budget for games you plan to play now, and upgrade every ~2 years. Spending for the future usually results in sticking with the same GPU long after its power has been much improved with the latest GPU.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

The income level of posters here are all over the map. Yes many do make #100,000+ a year, while lots of us like me are also on fixed incomes. On top of that we also have other concerns we have to deal with.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
The income level of posters here are all over the map. Yes many do make #100,000+ a year, while lots of us like me are also on fixed incomes. On top of that we also have other concerns we have to deal with.

We all choose to spend our money on different things, i bet you could go with out heat/hotwater for a few years and save up for a gfx card. No side work?

i feel bad that you are stuck on a fixed income, but one thing that comes to mind when i think of fixed income is. FREETIME..

ive never heard of anyone on a fixed income that didnt have loads of free time on their hands figure out a way to cash in on it.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
It is but this is a thread about mid range gpu's, not the super expensive ones. With that in mind I have to tend to agree that if you didn't have the money then you would have been served well by any of the lesser memory versions of these gpu's. None of them would have struggled in games, and games would still have looked great even if occasionally you had to drop a quality setting over the higher memory version.

The truth is if you just want to play games at the most common resolutions you really don't need that fast a card, or that much video memory. They play fine on all sorts of lesser cards, cards even older then the ones mentioned in the thread. If you are not so well off you can have a completely fine pc gaming experience. That's the beauty of pc gaming - you can play, have fun and still be competitive on older kit, but if you want you can spend a fortune and enjoy super high resolutions and textures and so on.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
We all choose to spend our money on different things, i bet you could go with out heat/hotwater for a few years and save up for a gfx card. No side work?

i feel bad that you are stuck on a fixed income, but one thing that comes to mind when i think of fixed income is. FREETIME..

ive never heard of anyone on a fixed income that didnt have loads of free time on their hands figure out a way to cash in on it.

I'm a civil engineer and make plenty enough to buy top-end video cards, but I choose not to. I'm all about bang for my buck with everything. As said, there's no way for anyone to verify any of this, but I find it sad that someone like you with a supposedly large income (hopefully gained through advanced education) can't put together a coherent sentence, nor can you control your childish comments. You're an adult? Your posts remind me of my youngest son when he was talking to his friends...when he was 10.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I'm a civil engineer and make plenty enough to buy top-end video cards, but I choose not to. I'm all about bang for my buck with everything. As said, there's no way for anyone to verify any of this, but I find it sad that someone like you with a supposedly large income (hopefully gained through advanced education) can't put together a coherent sentence, nor can you control your childish comments. You're an adult? Your posts remind me of my youngest son when he was talking to his friends...when he was 10.

yes im not a native english person.

To me it seems more affordable to buy something that will last a few years not just play the games of yesterday at 1080 ;/

Even a budget 42" TV can achieve 4k@60hz (Many years ago for 225 each or less).

would you like to see my check stub so far this year? (honestly i have no idea what it is. i really hope its going to be under 85,000 for the year. But it depends how many months vacation i take). I have attended 3 years of college and plan to do a few more to become a NP in the future.

I couldn't tell you how much a engineer makes, could be 50k, could be 500k.

Even when i made 25k a year i purchased a nice tv/audio. I dont watch cable TV, I dont spend much time playing games. But when i do watch a movie i want it to be GREAT, when i do play a game i want it to be spectacular.

I enjoyed your personal attacks on me. Thanks

But totally agree with Dribble, it doesn't matter what gfx card if you are buying the lowest grade they all will play the same.

Last edited:

Ne0

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999

If you don't mind refurbished, I'm getting my nephew a 1060 6GB refurb for under $120 (either the mini or blower): https://store.zotac.com/refurbished

Reactions: killster1

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The second page of this thread has devolved into
insults, snide comments, and other debates
that are not relevant to this thread.
If it continues, there will be consequences.

AT Mod Usandthem