Who is in the wrong here? The professor or the cop?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Her lawyer said he was "reaching toward her anatomy". There was no accusation of crotch grabbing. And personally I'm in favor of giving her ninety days for slapping a thong on that body just for principle.

Honestly though I'm not big on jaywalking laws anyway unless traffic is being seriously impeded. Seems to me to be a self-solving problem.

Kind of fits both sides. "I'm a professor - you will not touch me!" "I'm a cop - you will obey me!" A little less arrogance and a lot more human decency and old-fashioned politeness would well serve everyone concerned.

Watch whole uncut video. He spent a lot with niceties at start compared to what I see on COPS. She was confrontational right away and did not stop.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Was she drunk or just naturally hostile?

She fights the police from the start. Refuses ID, resists arrest, and then fights back, assaults them. All while ranting and raving about respect. Apparently thinking respect means she's above the law.

If an officer intends to arrest me - I'm probably going to comply. Unless you think "respect" means "above the law". Because the ONLY means to resist is a fight to the death. Even if you win - you lose. Wanted fugitive? No thanks, typically not going to be worth it.

She can check her privilege.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Was she drunk or just naturally hostile?

She fights the police from the start. Refuses ID, resists arrest, and then fights back, assaults them. All while ranting and raving about respect. Apparently thinking respect means she's above the law.

If an officer intends to arrest me - I'm probably going to comply. Unless you think "respect" means "above the law". Because the ONLY means to resist is a fight to the death. Even if you win - you lose. Wanted fugitive? No thanks, typically not going to be worth it.

She can check her privilege.

Yup you will ALWAYS lose. Even if unlawful. But that wasnt case here. Either way little courtesy goes a long way (I cant count number of times I been puled over with no ticket) and if you're arrested place to argue is the courthouse not with the cop - you aint gonna change his mind street lawyering. Usually will just make your life harder as it escalates. We are not quite a third world country yet where cops make you disappear and act unlawful. Just go along to get along.

I like your sig man - Holy shit those neo-cons/obama are clueless as your post caused me to think back.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003