Who is going to play "The War Z"

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I been playing DayZ for a while now and this game seems to try to copy cat quite a few things. But beyond that it seems to genuinely try to improve on things in DayZ. And yes it has been in development since before DayZ, so the pure copy cat doesn't seem to be valid all together. It sure looks interesting. What are you guys thinking about it? Anyone pre-ordering?

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Meh, I'll just wait for Day Z. It will be using the ARMA 3 engine so it's going to look a lot better I'm sure.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If it got right what DayZ got wrong, maybe. Played DayZ for a month and got tired with it.

So, maybe, maybe not.

Feb 4, 2009
Without a demo or some positive posts here, no it seems like it's a quickly banged together me too game.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Meh, I'll just wait for Day Z. It will be using the ARMA 3 engine so it's going to look a lot better I'm sure.

I don't think DayZ standalone that is to arrive before Christmas is using the ARMA 3 engine.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I don't think DayZ standalone that is to arrive before Christmas is using the ARMA 3 engine.

Rocket has confirmed multiple times that the DayZ standalone is, indeed, using an early version of the ARMA 3 engine.

As for The War Z: Based on the alpha footage they've released so far, it looks like ass (not graphically, but it just looks completely unappealing and devoid of any fun). Maybe I'll be proven wrong though.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm looking forward to it. I have heard too much bad things about Day Z to avoid it. I've watched quite a few videos to back that up. I'm hoping War Z gives what Day Z can't. A truly good online zombie war game. We'll see though.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
Been following the forums for a month or so now,.. shortly after the website went online. I just preordered tonight, the Legend package.

Looks right up my alley, hoping it will be lots of fun. Only game I ever play anymore is Left 4 Dead 2, and thats getting kinda old with nothing new coming down the pipe.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Been following the forums for a month or so now,.. shortly after the website went online. I just preordered tonight, the Legend package.

Looks right up my alley, hoping it will be lots of fun. Only game I ever play anymore is Left 4 Dead 2, and thats getting kinda old with nothing new coming down the pipe.

Same here. Are you in any clan or group yet?

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
DayZ is the typical fantastic game idea wrapped in an extremely bad engine full of bugs and is just terribly awkward to play.

War Z looks to bring the polish that DayZ badly needs, it also looks like it has tighter controls, honestly the Arma II engine makes for an absolutely terrible game play experience which is what caused me to stop playing.

I'm in for the beta on the 31st, if it performs well I'll dump some cash in to it and maybe even rent a server.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
DayZ is the typical fantastic game idea wrapped in an extremely bad engine full of bugs and is just terribly awkward to play.

War Z looks to bring the polish that DayZ badly needs, it also looks like it has tighter controls, honestly the Arma II engine makes for an absolutely terrible game play experience which is what caused me to stop playing.

I'm in for the beta on the 31st, if it performs well I'll dump some cash in to it and maybe even rent a server.

Looks like we are somewhat in the same time zone. After leaving the US and struggling with the 6 hour time difference with my "regular" online friends it be nice to have somewhat on the same schedule! I went in for the early Alpha test. That should get me 3 guest passes once the Beta hits. Let me know and send me a PM if anyone is interested in really playing. Would be bad if they go to waste.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
I'll have to check out some videos later. Going from the features list, I wish they would have brought more to the table. World events would be cool like from in guild wars 2. Like you'd all have to converge on a power plant to keep the zombies from blowing it up otherwise the city stays pitch black or something. That said I might end up pre-ordering the loadout with the 3 guest passes.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
Same here. Are you in any clan or group yet?

Messaged a couple clan leaders tonight from the WARZ forums looking for the right fit for me. Im not wanting a clan full of 10-16 year olds crying over the mic pissing me off,.. but I also don't want to join a group that is over serious about ranking up and all that political crap. Been there, done that, just want to play and laugh with some people while we kill zombies (and children) :)

I also bit the bullet and got the Legend package, mainly to get the alpha access on the 15th.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Watched some videos and it looks like they are making good progress. I can see where the normal public servers will be a griefers paradise though. The private servers will be the better places to go I'm thinking.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Looks interesting, but I sort of feel like the alpha videos are somewhat mis-representing what the actual gameplay experience will be for most people. The vids show quite a bit of shooting, but all the dev commentary has indicated that guns will be scarce and ammo even moreso. Seems like the real experience for most of us will be scavenging and evading zombies and other players. Not sure how much fun that would be.

There also seems to be way to much gameplay focused around players building trust and relationships with other players. The most successful online games tend to be ones where the goal is kill other players, and I think there are reasons for that. 1) It doesn't require communication with strangers 2) It's fun 3) People tend to be assholes when they're anonymous.

Interesting concepts, but I'm skeptical that you can really have a successful game with virtually no rules that is actually fun to anyone but a few griefers who spend way too much of their time playing.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Looks interesting, but I sort of feel like the alpha videos are somewhat mis-representing what the actual gameplay experience will be for most people. The vids show quite a bit of shooting, but all the dev commentary has indicated that guns will be scarce and ammo even moreso. Seems like the real experience for most of us will be scavenging and evading zombies and other players. Not sure how much fun that would be.

There also seems to be way to much gameplay focused around players building trust and relationships with other players. The most successful online games tend to be ones where the goal is kill other players, and I think there are reasons for that. 1) It doesn't require communication with strangers 2) It's fun 3) People tend to be assholes when they're anonymous.

Interesting concepts, but I'm skeptical that you can really have a successful game with virtually no rules that is actually fun to anyone but a few griefers who spend way too much of their time playing.

Yeah, thats why I was saying the private servers will be the place to go to. Griefers will rule the public servers. It will be more about avoiding the human players than the zombies.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone get the download client yet? If I manage to ever get it I will host it, because the website is getting hammered.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
Not yet,.. waiting patiently unlike all the kids on the WARZ forums. Im expecting to play for a whole 20 minutes before it crashes.. lol If I can ever get the download,.. seems as if this game is gonna get slammed right off the bat.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Looks like WarZ hired an intern to create their TOS.

EBOr7.jpg

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah... I'm going to maintain my expectation that this game will be utter shit.

It's a quick, soulless, lazy cash-in on the success of DayZ, and the fact that they can't even hire a lawyer to write their own TOS - instead copying from another game - shows that they are complete amateurs. They can't even read their own EULA? Really?

I don't know why people are taking this game seriously.

Also, fun fact: One of the devs on The WarZ actually worked on Big Rigs Over the Road Racing.