Who is being an "honest Broker" in the debt ceiling negotiations?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

My post was about the debt ceiling negotiations.

430898_514335235267565_1055954221_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Both sides are bastards who will lie for their party at the expense of the nation. The NYT is hardly impressed with the Dems either, and they are hardly in the Reps pocket.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Both sides are bastards who will lie for their party at the expense of the nation. The NYT is hardly impressed with the Dems either, and they are hardly in the Reps pocket.

But ausm only knows how to blame reps.

Obama has no intention of cutting spending, which means whatever we do to raise revenue is meaningless. If we were taxed at a rate sufficient to balance the budget, the private sector would come to a crashing halt.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There is only one party to blame in debt ceiling negotiations if you are a rational person who believes in good governance: the Republican party. Any party that attempts to threaten the financial underpinning of the world economy in order to win domestic fiscal battles is not acting in the best interests of the country.

This should not be controversial. Their behavior is totally unacceptable for any party. Should the democrats threaten to tank the world economy unless we get single payer health care next time?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There is only one party to blame in debt ceiling negotiations if you are a rational person who believes in good governance: the Republican party. Any party that attempts to threaten the financial underpinning of the world economy in order to win domestic fiscal battles is not acting in the best interests of the country.

This should not be controversial. Their behavior is totally unacceptable for any party. Should the democrats threaten to tank the world economy unless we get single payer health care next time?

There is only one party to blame if one is a Democrat. Same for the Reps. Medicaid is going to go into another expansion phase without significant reform. The refusal to offer significant reform as much a folly as the Reps.

Your party does not get a pass.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It's the "think of the children" argument translated to the world economy. It's as much bs here as it is there.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There is only one party to blame if one is a Democrat. Same for the Reps. Medicaid is going to go into another expansion phase without significant reform. The refusal to offer significant reform as much a folly as the Reps.

Your party does not get a pass.

No, there is no rational answer other than the Republicans I'd you understand public policy. Period. I am so so tired of the constant false equivalence. In the case of the debt ceiling only one party is threatening worldwide financial chaos if their demands are not met. End of story.

If you want to talk about Medicaid that's fine, but that has nothing to do with holding the world economy hostage in order to get domestic policy passed that you like.

This is basic good governance.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Do you really know who the honest broker is? We're getting second, third, or fourth hand accounts of what is happening. We are merely repeating the media.

I love it when these politicians supposedly talk to each other and then blast that same person when talking to the press. But I guess this is what we want.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, there is no rational answer other than the Republicans I'd you understand public policy. Period. I am so so tired of the constant false equivalence. In the case of the debt ceiling only one party is threatening worldwide financial chaos if their demands are not met. End of story.

If you want to talk about Medicaid that's fine, but that has nothing to do with holding the world economy hostage in order to get domestic policy passed that you like.

This is basic good governance.

You forgot "in my opinion." not everyone shares it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You forgot "in my opinion." not everyone shares it.

No, I didn't forget it. If you believe that an unending series of threats to worldwide financial stability is a good way to resolve domestic policy disputes I encourage you to make that argument.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
No, I didn't forget it. If you believe that an unending series of threats to worldwide financial stability is a good way to resolve domestic policy disputes I encourage you to make that argument.

Yet you seem to think this is only a one way street as both sides are using threats in an attempt to get their way.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yet you seem to think this is only a one way street as both sides are using threats in an attempt to get their way.

What threats are the Democrats making? If the Republicans offered to raise it without making demands this would have been done awhile ago. Only one party is demanding policy concessions in order to not cause a global financial crisis.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
What threats are the Democrats making? If the Republicans offered to raise it without making demands this would have been done awhile ago. Only one party is demanding policy concessions in order to not cause a global financial crisis.

So not offering any sort of compromise and allowing the fiscal cliff to occur is not a threat.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
People are rightly blaming the Republicans.

They could have gotten 90% of what they wanted if they had been willing to compromise a little bit months ago.

They bet on being able to retake control of the Senate and Presidency. They lost that bet. Ironically if they had been willing to compromise they would have probably been in a better position in the senate, and even if Romney still lost(because he sucked) Obama could have been reduced to little more than a Republican puppet.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So not offering any sort of compromise and allowing the fiscal cliff to occur is not a threat.

We are talking about the debt ceiling, not the fiscal cliff. The only reason the debt ceiling is even part of those negotiations is because Republicans have stated they intend to do exactly what I already said, use the threat of a global financial crisis to get their way.

If Republicans were not making such a threat the debt ceiling would not be an issue. Again, only one party is threatening to create that crisis if they don't get their policy way. Period.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
So at what point will the President/Democratic party decide is the time to take steps to reduce the deficit rather than raise the debt limit year after year? $20 trillion, $24 trillion? You do realize with every debt limit increase it does more to hurt the US's economic recovery rather than improve it.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
People are rightly blaming the Republicans.

They could have gotten 90% of what they wanted if they had been willing to compromise a little bit months ago.

They bet on being able to retake control of the Senate and Presidency. They lost that bet. Ironically if they had been willing to compromise they would have probably been in a better position in the senate, and even if Romney still lost(because he sucked) Obama could have been reduced to little more than a Republican puppet.

You can blame the Teapublicants for that. ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So at what point will the President/Democratic party decide is the time to take steps to reduce the deficit rather than raise the debt limit year after year? $20 trillion, $24 trillion? You do realize with every debt limit increase it does more to hurt the US's economic recovery rather than improve it.

That's false that each increase in debt is more harmful than not, but that's a different argument.

If the Republicans would like to reduce the deficit and the debt they should enact policies that do that. If enough voters want that they will be elected to do so. If you cannot pass a bill through the normal legislative process however it is not acceptable to threaten a global financial meltdown to get your way. No rational person would want legislation to be made like that. As I asked earlier, would you be ok with the Democrats demanding ingle payer health care as a condition for not taking the global economy? I would hope not.

As a point of governance you do not want to have yearly near misses with global financial catastrophes. I don't care what policies they are advocating, this is fundamental bad governance. As a duty to future presidents and future legislators Obama has no choice but to break their backs on this now. It would be irresponsible of him to allow the Republicans to continue.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Let's go over the cliff. I'd love to see house prices drop another 20-40% before I buy next year :p

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

You mean like for instance raising taxes on the top 2%?