Who here rides a Harley Sportster?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I'm considering buying the Harley Nightster and I'm curious as to opinions on how well suited I am for that bike. I'm 6'1", do you think that I would be uncomfortable or cramped on it?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
I'm considering buying the Harley Nightster and I'm curious as to opinions on how well suited I am for that bike. I'm 6'1", do you think that I would be uncomfortable or cramped on it?

Definitely don't get the "low" model.

Where are you buying it? Here in SoCal?

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I have always thought of the Sportster as a girls bike, or maybe for a smaller man say 5'2.

I would go for a much larger Honda then a low end Harley, shit that being said I would still go for the big Honda over the big Harley, my veiw is Harley has been ripping off America for 100 years with the price of thier bikes.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Renob
I have always thought of the Sportster as a girls bike, or maybe for a smaller man say 5'2.

I would go for a much larger Honda then a low end Harley, shit that being said I would still go for the big Honda over the big Harley, my veiw is Harley has been ripping off America for 100 years with the price of thier bikes.

A friend of mine bought a Honda VTX1800 a few months ago and he loves it. Rides it every weekend for hours. It's a sweet looking bike too...for a cruiser. It is on par with the big harley V-twins, probably better actually, but he only paid about $12k for it OTD.

Edit-This is a guy who has owned motorcycles for 30+ years and, yes, even a Harley.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I am 6 foot and about 210, rode a 1200 custom for quite awhile. You'll be fine on it. I wouldn't get an 883 though. Warning - you'll really want a big twin after a bit...... Harley's are infectious.

MrBailey

Dec 1, 2005
Don't fall into the Harley stereotype. Either get the bike because you want to ride it, or get something else.

Look into the Triumph brand. Great bikes. I have a '05 Speedmaster and a '07 Tiger. The Speedmaster handles exceptionally well. The America is the same as the Speedmaster, with a slightly different setup. '08 Triumphs will have EFI while the '07 and earlier Speedmaster and America are carbs (very easy to work on, if that's your thing).

Dare to be different.

To quote Wild Hogs: "ride hard or stay home"

Boobie

edit: not bashing Harleys (some nice bikes out there)...just the stereotype

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
BTW-I looked at a Sportster 1200 and really liked it. It fit me well and I'm 5'11" but I decided to wait a while to decide if it was really what I wanted. I'm leaning toward a BMW now actually. ;)

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I am 5' 10", and find the Sportsers too cramped, it's like your sitting on the gas tank. Nothing really wrong with the 883 motor, if thats what their still using. I used to ride an old AMF 1200 Sportster, but it was heavier, and longer. Keep in mind you may be in that saddle for hours at a time, so if your the least bit uncomfortable just sitting there, or after a few minutes, imagine how you will feel after 4 hours of constent vibration, and yes Virginia Harleys VIBRATE!
BTW, San Diego has the weather, and a lot of back hill country roads. Also, get yourself some desent riding gear, if I ever catch you riding around town in just a tee shirt, shorts and sneakers I will pull you off that bike and give you the what for. There are only 2 types of bikers, ones who have been down, and the ones that are gonna. Semper Fi
<------ 50 years in S. D.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
If you are going to buy a Harley, skip the Sportster and go to the Dyna or softail. If you don't have the $, get a Yamaha Star or Honda VTX. But, if you have $15k to spend, skip Harley all together and get a Victory. Much more bang for the buck.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
A friend of mine bought a Honda VTX1800

Yes that is the bike I have been looking into, its a beast! and you can pick up new last years versions for under 10k

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: runzwithsizorz
I am 5' 10", and find the Sportsers too cramped, it's like your sitting on the gas tank. Nothing really wrong with the 883 motor, if thats what their still using. I used to ride an old AMF 1200 Sportster, but it was heavier, and longer. Keep in mind you may be in that saddle for hours at a time, so if your the least bit uncomfortable just sitting there, or after a few minutes, imagine how you will feel after 4 hours of constent vibration, and yes Virginia Harleys VIBRATE!
BTW, San Diego has the weather, and a lot of back hill country roads. Also, get yourself some desent riding gear, if I ever catch you riding around town in just a tee shirt, shorts and sneakers I will pull you off that bike and give you the what for. There are only 2 types of bikers, ones who have been down, and the ones that are gonna. Semper Fi
<------ 50 years in S. D.

I believe Harley started using rubber motor mounts on the Sportsters starting in 2005. Also, the one I looked at had the forward controls so you weren't as cramped on it as one without forward controls.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Yes, they use rubber mounts. However, if you go up to a dyna you get a larger motor and a 6 spd transmission. Plus you get EFI which means cruise control.

Go with a Victory and you get a bigger engine, 6 spd trans, EFI, and reliability.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: broon
Yes, they use rubber mounts. However, if you go up to a dyna you get a larger motor and a 6 spd transmission. Plus you get EFI which means cruise control.

Go with a Victory and you get a bigger engine, 6 spd trans, EFI, and reliability.

I was looking at a 2007 Sportster which was fuel injected. I think it had a 5 speed transmission though.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: broon

I was looking at a 2007 Sportster which was fuel injected. I think it had a 5 speed transmission though.

And it has the 88ci motor. All Dynas and Softails have a 96ci. Victory has a 100ci standard on all models.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Originally posted by: MrBailey
Don't fall into the Harley stereotype. Either get the bike because you want to ride it, or get something else.

Look into the Triumph brand. Great bikes. I have a '05 Speedmaster and a '07 Tiger. The Speedmaster handles exceptionally well. The America is the same as the Speedmaster, with a slightly different setup. '08 Triumphs will have EFI while the '07 and earlier Speedmaster and America are carbs (very easy to work on, if that's your thing).

Dare to be different.

To quote Wild Hogs: "ride hard or stay home"

Boobie

edit: not bashing Harleys (some nice bikes out there)...just the stereotype
I use to love the Triumph Bonneville back in the day. Do they still mark their spot or did they fix that problem?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
BTW-One day when I broke down and was having my bike towed back to my home I was talking with the tow truck driver and asked him what motorcycle he would say he tows more of than any other make and he didn't even hesitate...it was Harley Davidson.

Now I'm sure some of those may have been older bikes that might have spotty history and I'd like to also say that my neighbor has never had any trouble with his Dyna. Just a little food for thought. :p

imported_Section8

Aug 1, 2006
I am about the same height as you. I tried the sportsters and IMO they were too small. My wife thought they looked toyish for me. I went with the FLSTC Heritage and never looked back. It is a sweet ride. The wifey likes to ride with me and likes the way the bike turns heads. Had it since 02 and not one bit of trouble with it. I'm not necessarlily a HD fanboy. Get a Honda or Triumph if you like the look better, but get a ride that really fits you or you will regret it.