Who here remembers the infamous GUTB

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yup, I remember him... and Dennilfloss.

Wow, we can say fvcken now? :p

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: drizzit
Yeah i remember ya hzl, How are you doing? :) I should start stopping by more often, its been like a month since ive been here last
I'm doing pretty good. I'm workin' and such. :) How are you? I don't spend as much time here as I used to. I'm mainly at my forums, but I try to pop in here every day to see what's up. :)

Leopard is doing fine. His normal self. It will be our 5th anniversary this year. Can you believe it?

Hm. Can't find a pm thingie here. Oh well. You can send me a message to cougarmadcat@yahoo.com. I usually check that about every day. When I am work I can take a peek on my breaks. Lotsa fun there.

Laters
I'll send you an e-mail then. :) Your PM's are turned off, maybe that's what's up. You click on the little lock-looking thing to send one...but I'm sure you know that. lol I don't have internet access at work and I'm too damn busy for it if I did. lol I'll send you an e-mail from here then. When is your anniversary? Congrats, too!!!! :D

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
All these names are cracking me up. Damn I miss those days. Hell I prefered it when things were pre-UBB.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: Buck_Naked
Wasn't Modus most well known for his support of Winmodems vs. Hardware modems? I think I remember him and Red Dawn having a rather long winded debate on the subject... Not that Red Dawn would ever be part of such a thing... :)

Remember the 'is suck' as well, probably the longest running 'anandtech speak' term of all time.... it became annoying as hell, but still not as bad as 'all your base are belong to us'....

and the Hitachi monitor/buy.com fiasco..... coining such phrases as 'wounded monitor children' and talking of driving down I-5 and storming the walls of buy.com.... heh... hate to admit I was in the middle of that one....

Dave

Red wasn't the only one debating Modus on winmodems. ;)

I always wondered what Carolyn got out of the buy.com settlement. I wonder if there is a time limit on the NDAs.

I must admit that I enjoy seeing some of the old names popping up again. It brings back some pleasent memories.
I never debated him regarding Winmodems. Why the fsck would I care if he promoted winmodems or not? I did however argue with him regarding SCSI Drives vs IDE Drives and about the quality of Motherboards and Chipsets for AMD CPU's back when they were really bad. He was just a tight ass and always recommended to cheapest solution.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
A nostalgia thread would not be complete without mentioning yawmark.

Magnusvermagnasun is another banned member from the old days. He was banned for being an adult and living with a fifteen year old girl, or something like that.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
I remember most of those guys since I lurked around here a lng time before posting..... I wonder what happened to neo I used to play of his CS server like every single day for 3+ hours with alot of other AT'ers. I remember all the jeepathon2k-de_rats madness. I also rember the time neo tries this mario castle map LOL, that was a horrible experiance but i guess it sticked with me.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Rastus

Magnusvermagnasun is another banned member from the old days. He was banned for being an adult and living with a fifteen year old girl, or something like that.

wasn't it PaganChick?
LOL
she was a trip

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I remembers. He used to even get the Intel boys peo'd at him. Don't know how, but he did.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Rastus - <<Magnusvermagnasun is another banned member from the old days. He was banned for being an adult and living with a fifteen year old girl, or something like that. >>

You've got to be kidding me.
rolleye.gif
Someone got banned for...what? Doing something illegal, or doing something immoral. How many members here admit to smoking pot? Or other drugs? Or keying cars? Or stealing broadband? (I'm sure I missed a whole slew of examples)

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ahh, Modus. How he boiled my blood with his adamant stance on having one GIANT partition. He couldn't understand that it was the same thing as having multiple directories, just one level higher. And winmodems, too! Hehe, it's funny that we all can remember specific arguments among 1000's of posts.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: kuk
Well, Modus got his part in Anandtech's FAQs. ;)

?
He knew his sh!t he just wouldn't concede that his point of view might not always be correct.

Never understood why that got put in the faq. Oh well. Red sorry for thinking you were in those discussions.

Triumph, The reason I remember Modus was he was at the root of why I got my first locked thread. After going around and around with him on winmodems I challanged him to send me one that he recomended so I could compare it to my USR hardmodem. I think he complained to a mod and got the thread locked. He never did take me up on that challenge.

Cougarmadcat

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Rastus

Yawmark has always been a darling. He isn't a cop now though. He tends to make me smile whenever I see him post somewhere.

Red! <--- Pounces Red Dawn and rolls him over and over then cuddles up to him and purrs --->

Mag was banned for that? Ok, now tell me who in the world was able to prove the stories correct. More than half the stuff is a story, or didn't the Mods remember Dennil?

Hey! I've never been banned! Must get rep somehow ... hmm ... what should I do?

<--- Pounces on Drizzt and licks his hair into spikes then runs off giggling in human form --->

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey Coug, that avatar has your name written all over it, you should steal it and put it in your sig :)

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
you're looking in the wrong thread, mate

try one of the "Is homosexuality wrong?" threads

Well since this has basically turned into a nostalgic thread, I figured I give it a mention.

Speaking of nostalgia (outside of the really old stuff that 95% of the people here are too young to remember!) I'm trying to find that full page newspaper ad from Microsoft (June 1995) titled "Your 486/33 with 8MB of RAM will be Fine" which (of course) was referring to Windows 95. :)

That and a usenet post giving what was perhaps Anand's first plug. It was April, 1997 and the K6 processor was just anounced. Funny thing is there were replies touting Tom's site was the best and Anand's would never be around that long! Funny how things change.

Cheers!

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: Buck_Naked
Wasn't Modus most well known for his support of Winmodems vs. Hardware modems? I think I remember him and Red Dawn having a rather long winded debate on the subject... Not that Red Dawn would ever be part of such a thing... :)

Remember the 'is suck' as well, probably the longest running 'anandtech speak' term of all time.... it became annoying as hell, but still not as bad as 'all your base are belong to us'....

and the Hitachi monitor/buy.com fiasco..... coining such phrases as 'wounded monitor children' and talking of driving down I-5 and storming the walls of buy.com.... heh... hate to admit I was in the middle of that one....

Dave

Red wasn't the only one debating Modus on winmodems. ;)

I always wondered what Carolyn got out of the buy.com settlement. I wonder if there is a time limit on the NDAs.

I must admit that I enjoy seeing some of the old names popping up again. It brings back some pleasent memories.
I never debated him regarding Winmodems. Why the fsck would I care if he promoted winmodems or not? I did however argue with him regarding SCSI Drives vs IDE Drives and about the quality of Motherboards and Chipsets for AMD CPU's back when they were really bad. He was just a tight ass and always recommended to cheapest solution.

LOL... Red Dawn, I could have sworn it was you! my mistake.....

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Legion posted the classic anti-Overclocking rant of all time back in '98 before the Non Hardware General Forum was called Off-Topic. It probably wouldn't make much sense now since Overclocking is so easy but back in the day when you kind of had to have a clue his rant hit the nail on the head.

If anyone has that thread, I would die for it. Something like, "If you have to have the case open and stick half of it in the snow for cooling..." not even close, but funny as hell...

What'sisname who keeps all that old shit...uh...gawd my mind is gone.

What about Maiora? That dude was pretty rad.