Who here plays hockey?

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
I just picked it up after following my college team for two years. So far I've been shooting righty, and I'm right handed. But a lot of right-handed folks shoot lefty it seems, why is this? I'm gonna try shooting lefty and see how I like it. Cause thing is that my left arm right now isn't as strong as my right, so doing one handed things with the stick and my left arm don't go over well. Plus skating with the stick in my right hand feels more natural.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
I have played hockey for a while and have always shot left while being a natural right hander. My stick handling is much better than most peoples (possibly a natural advantage) but using my more dexterious hand to manuvear the stick works well. I have to admit that my slapshot is weaker than most others because it is my left hand that is giving the power. Wrist shot is still good... I place dribling ahead of shooting anyways because, unless you play for a team, there is no reason to have a 100-mph shot.

theres my 2cents...

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've played hockey al my life and being right handed i have alway played lefty. Hell, i can hardly play righty. To bad, 'cause my right arm is much stronger.

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
I play varsity Ice Hockey as a freshman, anyways I am a right-hander. Most of the people that convert to left handed think it's better because the "better" NHL players are left handed. I would stay right-handed if I were you, for a more powerful slap shot + wrist shot.
Uncouth, puck handling and shooting are very important, but passing + shooting is even more important. Most defense players go left handed (when they are normally right handed) because you are supposed to handle your stick with one hand , which would be your right hand if you were left handed, so you can maintain speed, and poke check while your back checking.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Played centre til Junior A (Cascades de Beauport) in 73-74. Tried out for the Remparts (Junior Major). Gave up because at 135lbs I really was too light to play against 180+ pounders. I broke my right leg 3 times in fights and it stopped growing, so now it is one inch shorter than the left one. I played a little on departmental teams too at the Universities I attended.

I'm also right-handed but shoot from the left. Shot velocity results a lot more from weight transfer and timing than from how strong your arm is.

I always was a better than decent scorer. Ask all my past GFs.;)

Hungry Like The Wolf (Duran Duran)

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Impact55, at the level I play hockey (very low) stick handling is excellent. Maybe I should have gone with the bigger shot. O well, what's gone is gone to dogs...

4 left

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I'm a righty that shoots right. Nothing wrong with my stick handling but I find that I get better shots shooting on the off-wing.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Cruisin1

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well being a California person I played roller hockey, and I'd say I was pretty damn good. I was on a club team for the KOHO cup and stuff. I stopped playing hockey my sophmore year in high school cause I started to get WAY too involved in pcs and school works was getting tougher... but I kind of regret stopping. Hockey in my opinion is the most fun sport there is! Now baseball.... I will NEVER understand why people enjoy that.