Who here knows anything about McGill Univ. (and Montreal in general)

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Just looking for input from fellow ATOTers about McGill. I'll be applying in a few months (Undergrad) Who here went to (or is currently attending) McGill?

I hear the reputation is well known throughout the world, as "Harvard of the North." It's just not as well known with US high school students. I tell them about its reputation, then mention it's in Canada so they assume it's a crappy place becuase "its in canada."

What's the research like? The site doesn't mention much about nanotechnology and robotics (two things of interest to me).

How's Montreal, in terms of city life and things to do? And, you know, drinking age in Montreal's 18... so that's a good thing.

-The Pentium Guy

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
My GF went to McGill; she studied chemical engineering. I've never been there, but she talks very fondly of the place. She calls it the best city she's ever seen (with maybe the exception of Toronto). She loved McGill too.

I've personally heard it called the "MIT of the north" due to their good engineering program. Is McGill good at law too like Harvard? If anyone knows about it, they'll know it is a very highly regarded school.

I can't comment on the research at the moment, because my GF was just an undergrad there. But personally, why are you interested in the nanoprofit, oh, wait, I mean nanotechnology field?

FreedomGUNDAM

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2006
Montreal is a very nice city. I was born there. However u need to know they get mad amount of snow.

McGill University has a great rep as a engineering school. I applied there for my undergraduate work and was not accepted.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
I've personally heard it called the "MIT of the north" due to their good engineering program. Is McGill good at law too like Harvard? If anyone knows about it, they'll know it is a very highly regarded school.

I can't comment on the research at the moment, because my GF was just an undergrad there. But personally, why are you interested in the nanoprofit, oh, wait, I mean nanotechnology field?
Good engineering and medical program I think. I haven't heard anything about the law school though... but it's a large university that excels in many areas.

You answered your own question, nanoprofit. It's a new developing field, and theres a ton of growing possibilities (especially nano biotechnology at the moment) with nanotechnology.

About the snow. I'm from New England so I'm used to all sorts of bizarre weather, but I can imagine how much more they get there.

imported_Zeke

Sep 18, 2004
Originally posted by: The Pentium Guy

Good engineering and medical program I think. I haven't heard anything about the law school though... but it's a large university that excels in many areas.

You answered your own question, nanoprofit. It's a new developing field, and theres a ton of growing possibilities (especially nano biotechnology at the moment) with nanotechnology.

About the snow. I'm from New England so I'm used to all sorts of bizarre weather, but I can imagine how much more they get there.
The heavy snow is more a product of proximity to the great lakes than how far north it is.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Montreal is one of the greatest cities on earth to be a college student. The entirety of downtown is full of 18 - 24 year olds, with a great bar and club scene and a distinctly European 'openness'. On the downside, it's also one of the more overtly racist cities you can travel to in North America. I'll summarize that part by saying that you'd better learn French by the time you need to defend your thesis.

U of T is a distinctly superior school in overall terms, but McGill is also very strong in research. I can't say that I know anyone there who would have experience working in nanotech.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PinmasterJay
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
Originally posted by: PinmasterJay
Wasn't McGill one of the schools features in this year's Playboy's Top 10 Party Schools?
yes

I thought I remember hearing that school from somewhere :)
being an arizona state student myself, i feel it's best to know the competition.

SaturnX

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
My sister went there and she loved it. The city is great, fantastic night life, the school's also well respected.

You mention you're interested in Nanotechnology and Robots, if you're interested in coming up to Canada I'd suggest looking into the University of Waterloo. It's one of Canada's top engineering schools, and recently brought in both Mechatronics, and Nanotechnology undergrads, which would lead perfectly into both those areas of research. Although I might be a biased since I'm going there right now for EE :p

If you're interested, check out:

http://www.engineering.uwaterloo.ca/
http://www.nanotech.uwaterloo.ca/
http://www.mechatronics.uwaterloo.ca/home.html

More info on Research:
http://www.engineering.uwaterloo.ca/research/index.html

Cheers,

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
I was acutally looking into Waterloo, they definately do offer a lot in terms of Engineering. McGill's the one Ive got my eyes on, though. I've heard nothing bad about the school, just looking for more viewpoints.

camfrye

Aug 8, 2006
I have a friend who goes there and loves it. Frenchiosity aside, Montreal always reminded me a bit of Boston for some reason.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
Quite honestly, though McGill does have a pretty good reputation in academia, you'd be better off going to a top US school if you are looking for prestige/good engineering. Unless there is a particular reason you are looking at Canadian schools, in which case McGill is undoubtedly the best, though it certainly doesn't even compare to Harvard.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Well from what I hear McGill competes with schools at the level of UMich, a competitive/match for me. As for my reaches I'll apply to the 'top US schools' as you mentioned (Cornell, Rice, CMU). I've heard lots of information about those schools, but not much regarding McGill.

Sure it doesn't compare to Harvard, but it's got an amazing reputation for a school of its calibre.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
I'm not sure about this, but if you plan on working in the US after graduation you'd be better off going to a school in the US, since I'm not sure how many recruiters will venture up to Canada. In my opinion UMich has a better academic reputation than McGill. The other schools you mentioned are excellent in engineering- if you think you have a shot definitely consider Stanford, Princeton, and MIT as well.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
^ That's why I was wondering about it's reputation in the US... I'm planning on doing grad school here.

The biggest advantage McGill offers over any of the schools I've been looking at is it's mad cheap tuition. 3 years of McGlll is almost equal to 1 year of UMich... It's about $10k a year, UMich is about $30...

-The Pentium Guy

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: The Pentium Guy
^ That's why I was wondering about it's reputation in the US... I'm planning on doing grad school here.

The biggest advantage McGill offers over any of the schools I've been looking at is it's mad cheap tuition. 3 years of McGlll is almost equal to 1 year of UMich... It's about $10k a year, UMich is about $30...

-The Pentium Guy

I'm paying for my Masters at Umich. I didnt get any help but from what I've been told, their financial aid program is decent. Their alumni community is HUGE and Ann Arbor is a city that is unique in the Midwest (atleast). I am also a Canadian but the only Canadian school I applied for undergrad in EE was Waterloo.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It might not have a great reputation in the US, but lots of engineers go to unknown schools. Many foreign students go to things like Idaho State or other obscure schools for their grad degrees and they seem to do well in industry. I see it all the time.

If its reputation in the US isn't too good, then you should hope that you would relocate to a certain area after you graduate to improve your chances of getting a job in the field you want to go into. It would be harder for a company to want to fly you in for an interview if the school isn't as well known. Working in something like "nanotechnology" and "nano biotechnology" would mean you would want to be in Silicon Valley (Bay Area, CA), Boston, etc.

But, as an undergrad, you're not really going to specialize TOO much in a particular field like "nano biotechnology." You might want to broaden your view a bit.

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
Well last time I saw the rating Mcgill was 4th after Harvard, York(university in toronto) and one other I don't remeber in the US in the whole Americas( North, central and south america).

Like one of you said, big advantage over US university is the price: Around 10k$ a year (well...3k if you're a Quebec citizen). But If you're really looking for the MIT of the north. Forget Mcgill, go to the ETS( École de Technologies Supérieurs"Superior Technological school" in english). In Québec (and probably the rest of Canada) they'll take someone from the ETS over someone from Mcgill everytimes(well for equal grades). Only one problem...you have to speak french to go there(or at least understand what the teachers are talking about because most of the books are in english anyways).