Who here hasn't played Call of duty 4 Singleplayer?

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I've played crysis SP & cod4 SP all the way through 3 times each.

This is the best game ever. It completely trumps Crysis as far as fun-factor goes. I haven't even played the multiplayer yet.

Anyone agree with me?

P.s. If you havent played this game, get it NOW! It runs really well on older hardware too!make sure to update to the newest version, i think its 1.40

UPDATE: watch this video of the game's intro:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1hY4qN06eig
It is comprised entirely from in game actual 3d action rendered on SLI'd 8800GTXs
from the player's point of view. None of it is CGI even though it is sequenced into a movie. It is what you see when you turn on the game. Each one of the scenes in that clip, is a scene from the game that you get to play, not some CGI movie crap (even though it looks that good).

Video of a mission where you ride in on a chopper with your swat team:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wgdqs6-39lc&feature=related

*WARNING SPOILER VIDEO* gameplay overview and graphics showcase (heavy metal music - not my taste):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ks28ZMPR4Fs

According to the poll results: Now, you have a 4:1 chance of being impressed! And only about half of the AT'ers have played it!

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
it's an amazing game. finally turned to multiplayer after a long time just playing the single player campaign and making my movie, and the multiplayer does not disappoint... for the most part.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm playing it right now, but I must admit I'm a little underwhelmed by it. I do not get the same exhiliration I had playing CoD2 and I just don't really care what happens next, unlike CoD2 where I was anticipating each new area.

I'll probably finish it, then try the MP a few more times before, hopefully, trading it for something else.

KT

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
tried the demo, didn't like it. especially the infinite spawns - gheyest fps mechanism ever.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
man in the last two levels, your flying down this insterstate in the back of a military jeep with 3 of your crew. You have a machine gun and a RPG and your trying to take down an Appache thats firing missiles at you and blowing up cars on the highway. Then you're sent to a VIP special mission to resuce a VIP on a 747 thats about to crash.

I swear it's like playing in an action movie. Or the closest experience I have ever had when gaming. I never played cod2 though, so i don't have much to compare it to. I came from unreal/quake/quakewars/Et/crysis/bioshock games like that.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I purchased it via STEAM because that is what my old FPS clan was getting into. It is "ok" and I think that it is a bit too fast paced.

Desert combat mod for BF1942 is still my favorite:heart:

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Desert combat mod for BF1942 is still my favorite:heart:

Can't argue with that. As a diehard Desert Combat fan, there is a certain something missing from COD4 multiplayer. I agree on the fast paced... I guess it's just that everything is so close together, that people are spawning on top of each other and there's really no consequence to running in guns a blazing. Now if COD4 would just get some pilotable helicopters!!

<--- gazelle junkie

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
SPOILERS!!!!

I'm up to the part where you're waiting on the extraction after sniping that guy from the top of the hotel, and OMG it's f**kin' hard! I'm playing on Hardened, and I keep dying over and over waiting for them to show up. The one time they did show up, I died trying to haul the dude to the helicopter.

I got so pissed last weekend playing it that I took my keyboard and twisted it until it shattered and keys went everywhere, scaring the hell out of myself :p.

Haven't played it since then, figure I'll take a break and then come back to it at a later point.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
My favourite part in the game was the flashback level, which I thought was fantastic. Maybe that means I do not like modern warfare.

KT

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Never played COD2, but I loved this game. Funnest I have played in a long time. Way better than the Halflife 2 installments, in my opinion.

The seemingly infinite respawns (which they aren't) never really bothered me. I played on hardened though, not veteran (my brother did). Once as you figure out that you have to keep moving, its really easy.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
yeah its more fun than any other PC game i've ever played. Single player. I used to love quake 1 multiplayer, but that would be the only game to top it on my list. It beats doom3, half life 1, 2, ep2, crysis, farcry, fear, SOF, bf2, MOH etc etc etc....

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I tried the demo, and hated it. I didn't like being paired with a squad of AI soldiers, and being rushed in a certain direction.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Too scripted and infinite respawns are a joke (would like some proof that they aren't infinite - and even if there is some hypothetical end of the stream, it's still way to unrealistic to be rewarding). I can't believe people cried and moaned that the last couple levels of Crysis were "on rails" yet somehow this is the best game ever?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
CoD 4 is one of the very rare games I've actually returned for a refund (of course I had to say that the game didn't work well on my PC for them to accept it back, "not liking it" wouldn't have been a reason). I just didn't liked it. I played through the first three levels and I got bored, I was just wondering what was all the fuss around it. I guess that I've played too many FPS'es in my life and I'm getting picky.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I haven't played it. I am holding off on all the recent games until I get a new video card, which will be whenever Nvidia or ATI release something decent at the high end.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
pretty much a single 8800gt can max this game out (unless you want something like 16xAA 16xAF at 1920x1200 with insane textures, and all quality options at maximum.

Which then i guess it isn't maxed out.... So you really need a nice SLI solution or Crossfire to truely "MAX" it out.

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
I played it for 30 minutes and was so bored by the 2nd mission that i turned it off and never looked back...anyone want to buy a copy :(