Who here has insomnia? And how has it affected your daily life?

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I'm an insomniac myself. I feel people are sometimes too time-conscious, everything they do is centred around this mechanical clock. To me, their life is like a benchmark being looped infinitely, always trying to meet that "mark".

I on the other hand, feel quite free to do whatever thing I feel want to do or need to do, based on my own time, not having to look at the clock everyday to go about my life. I'm prolly a few of a handful of insomniacs that actually enjoy being an insomniac :) Its my kind of lifestyle, I find it less stressful to live my life this way. Schedule? What schedule? To heck with the calendar, to heck with the schedules, to heck with the freakin' clock, I have total disregard for things like that. When the sun goes down or moon comes up concerns me little. Besides the normal work week or school week, I've control (or from your perspective - a lack of control) over how I go about my daily business.

For others, insomnia is a disease, but I don't look at it that way. I see it as an alternative lifestyle. I'm single, so the impact on me is next to nil, as compared to those with families?

So, in what ways has this "disease" affected you guys/gals?
I guess everybody's "internal" clock operates differently.

PS: Please don't tell me I need help or need to take some kind of time management course. Save your saliva/keystrokes :p

Plucky

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
I don't have insomnia, but I would like to commend you on your outlook. People should take example of turning something that's potentially negative into something positive.

However, the way you describe it ("to heck with schedules") makes you aound somewhat unreliable, as if you don't care if you miss an appointment. While this may not be the case, be careful of your wording next time. :) :p

And yes, everyone's clock is different, just as we all are individuals. I'm glad you're comfortable with yours. :)

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Can't insomnia be really bad healthwise? I mean, not sleeping much can have some very serious effects on the human body. Or am I completely off base?

BTW, have you seen "Fight Club"? :p

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I'm a mild insomniac and I think it blows. Especially since I have a job and school to deal with. And me, I'm freaking tired but I still can't sleep. Maybe if I had no other obligations it wouldn't be a big deal. I guess I'll win the lottery next week. ;)

TripleJ

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
<<Can't insomnia be really bad healthwise? I mean, not sleeping much can have some very serious effects on the human body. Or am I completely off base?>>

I'm not an insomniac, far from it actually, but I have heard from a very reputable source that there is a woman that has not slept since WWII! She gets her night gown on, hops into bed and reads for eight hours, then gets out of bed again for a normal day. So they don't acually know what sleep is for, they can only think about what it might be for. I think it's just for powering down the body so it doesn't waste so much energy during the boring hours of the day.

And yeah, have you ever tried some of that stuff in Fight Club? Does it work? Hmmm, didn't think so.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< Who here has insomnia? >>

I do.

<< And how has it affected your daily life? >>

What life?

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
I am the worst sleeper ever. It takes me hours to get to sleep and once I do, I wake up again. I hate it. It makes me tired and irritable and not really fit to work, especially shift work. I would love nothing more than to crawl into bed and sleep like a normal person and wake up feeling refreshed.

My grandmother only ever sleeps about 3 hours a night. She has been like that all her life. She does however, spend about 8 hours in bed resting. She functions fine like that as it is the only way she has ever known. :)

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
LOL @ AmusedOne :)

Fight Club was kinda wierd, I guess I liked it. Especially like the scene where he dreamt of the airplane exploding, and the thought of that guy's apartment with his "luxuries" all burning to ashes :D

Building up a system @ 3am in the morning? Now that's what I call a true nerd :p hehe, U Go Gurl!! :cool:

Yeah, some people go to work feeling like he just had a hung over if he doesn't get his normal day's sleep (6-8hrs?). Me, I feel the same on most days. On occasions when I'm really dead beat I'll drink some coffee, suck it up and get back to work cause I know I just can't sleep yet 'cause there's a job to be done and no excuses for myself of "oh, there's always tomorrow". <-- I usually do that on the day before I hit a due date :p

I acknowledge time, but I do not let it control me to the extent that it has to others. From my point of view, and I know this cause my mother is such a person, those who always work under the clock can cause themselves unnecessary stress and anxiety. Its like playing catchup or something to that effect. They seem to be obsessed or constantly being controlled by the infinite ticking clock?? I don't see that as a positive thing either. I dunno which is worse, that or being a happy as can be insomniac me :) I think they've got the cooties, not me dude :)

Are insomniacs generally seen as irresponsible person's because you tend to feel that the way "we" function, we are more likely to fall a foot short when it comes to expectations, being on time for work, or whatever other activity that is time-sensitive? I can see how you mean, and I agree, some have bad time management. I do too, but it doesn't show up in the "final product". Being an insomniac and a procrastinator (I know, my bad), I tend to have gotten used to forcing things to happen, whether it be at last minute or what not, whether I want to or not. And yes, I'd also agree (in anticipation of those who may reply with a statement which I follow with this answer - I'm a pyschic, I can foresee your questions and thoughts, lol! :D Am I nutz here?! I'm making statements and responding to my own statements, lol! :confused;), the "final result" is not always up to par.

Its a bit of a balance and compromise, as nothing's perfect. The opportunity costs of sleeping I see, in my own situation, is high and unworthy of my time. Ok, so, anybody else thinks I'm strange? :p

If you think I'm strange, you should recognize all the Anandtech girl-deprived pervs in this forum!! LOL! ;) Oh wait, the world has changed, pervs are the norm nowadays, haha!! Where's all the gentlemen? *gulp*

Perv: "We've sold them all on E*ay to sex-deprived hot chics who turned them all into sex slaves, so we can buy digi-cams and DVs to gawk over hot grannies"

LOL!! :D Ok, I'm out of it today, I guess that's what happens to me when I don't get enough Zzzzz's eh, hehe.

Plucky

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
I used to have insomnia, till sometime about a year and a half ago. Like in fight club, I found my "support groups" you could say and now babies don't sleep this good ;)

Feb 24, 2001
usually takes me a couple of hours to fall asleep. hate just laying there with eyes wide open. luckily i dont have to wake up so i can just sleep once i get there. would be a major bummer if i had to wake up at 6 or so after going to sleep at 4 or 5.

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
I have had insomnia for a few years. it blows. I lie down, I get up and go online. I lie down, I get up and get a cookie. I swear the only way I get to sleep is from sheer exaustion.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Exactly, why waste the few hours you spend laying flat looking at the ceiling and put it towards good use? Like have an "early" breakfast before work, read the newspaper, brush your teeth, get dressed, walk the dog, gawk over the next door neighbours' "activities (just joking - but I know you pervs would like that wouldn't ya ;) ), or do whatever else you would usually do when you're not sleeping.

Yes, having to go to work at 6, having been awaken in the middle of the night and falling back asleep at 4/5 is bad. I believe that's even worse than NOT sleeping during those couple hours because your mind and body has just fallen into a state of deep sleep. Disrupting that state is not good. I know that's how I feel cause I do it A LOT myself.

But a good morning's breakfast is a good start in the day, it provides you with energy to make it thru the day, if not, at least till lunchie :)

Plucky