Who here has a Blackberry?

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I keep tabs on my email when I'm out of the office. Soda Pop mail for my current verizon cellphone is tedious to say the least. I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry. I'm currently with verizon and I am locked in until October of 2005.
Girlfriend has ATT and her contract is over. I'm thinking of swapping accounts so I can pick up the new Blackbery 6280.
It has color! :D

Seems verizon only option is the older blackberry without the color. BTW ... how does email work? Can I still connect to my POP account w/o using any of Blackberry's software? I dont have an Exchange account so I wont be needing their Enterprise server.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I've had experience with the Blackberry 6230 and 7230 (color) through T-Mobile. How can you access your mail on a blackberry without using the blackberry software? :confused: Maybe you mean webmail? Yes, it's possible. Blackberries have the ability to connect to exchange server, but they can also connect to pop and imap servers as well. What exactly are you asking?

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
I've had experience with the Blackberry 6230 and 7230 (color) through T-Mobile. How can you access your mail on a blackberry without using the blackberry software? :confused: Maybe you mean webmail? Yes, it's possible. Blackberries have the ability to connect to exchange server, but they can also connect to pop and imap servers as well. What exactly are you asking?

Need access to my two IMAP servers. A while back corporate was going to give me one at my previous job, but they ran exchange. Now, I've moved on but I'm running two businesses on the side and need to check my email when I'm away. With Soda Pop Mail, I was able to do everything an email client allows me to, but typing on that little keypad is notorious. Besides, I don't want to carry my PDA with me. I have one but carrying that and my cellphone?!

I just thought it has a built in feature where I can plug in my server information and then go about checking/writing email.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: lilcam

Need access to my two IMAP servers. A while back corporate was going to give me one at my previous job, but they ran exchange. Now, I've moved on but I'm running two businesses on the side and need to check my email when I'm away. With Soda Pop Mail, I was able to do everything an email client allows me to, but typing on that little keypad is notorious. Besides, I don't want to carry my PDA with me. I have one but carrying that and my cellphone?!

Many professionals do both. I've seen some whackos where I used to work with a cell phon and pager on one hip with a cell phone and PDA on another hip. Crazy... If you're interested in switching companies, did you mean switching from verizon to AT&T? If you're not under contract anymore, consider switching to t-mobile. They're cheaper per month and they have the 7230 available. :) They also have the 6230 and the 6710 available, but those suck. Check out their site (t-mobile.com > products > handhelds) for more info.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Many professionals do both. I've seen some whackos where I used to work with a cell phon and pager on one hip with a cell phone and PDA on another hip. Crazy... If you're interested in switching companies, did you mean switching from verizon to AT&T? If you're not under contract anymore, consider switching to t-mobile. They're cheaper per month and they have the 7230 available. :) They also have the 6230 and the 6710 available, but those suck. Check out their site (t-mobile.com > products > handhelds) for more info.

I was thinking of the sidekick. I just need something better than the phone I have now. It's a nice phone and suits me well for what it does, but the soda pop email client isn't worth it.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

I just thought it has a built in feature where I can plug in my server information and then go about checking/writing email.
You can use the Desktop Client or the Web Client. And there's nothing wrong with the 6230, I have one...the 7230 has a better browser, but I don't like the non-backlit color screen, personally.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: 3point14
Is this why you are thinking of buying it? :p

LOL ... nah but i did see that. However, I took one look at T-Mobile's coverage map and that's not good.
It's either verizon or attws. I might wait until the prices come down a little more. I didn't realize they
charge you two fees. DATA and VOICE.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I have a sidekick. It's not as awkward to carry as the blackberries and I can make calls easily, get online (surprisingly fast!), check my email instantly, etc. :) I love it.