Who here got free or reduced price lunches growing up?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Did you get free or reduced price lunches for school?

• Yes, I got free lunches

• Yes, I got reduced price lunches

• No, I paid the full price for my lunches

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Growing up in NYC in the 60s and 70s I had free lunch and the food was 1000x better than the lunch my son got that I paid for.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Same here, and yet all those poor people managed to continue to procreate and their kids continued to grow up. Liberals spending other people's money to buy favor all the while exercising control and creating and managing a dependent class is a mental disorder.....or they are evil, or maybe just stupid.

I think the bolded part pretty well describes people who are ok with children going hungry, you wingnut fuck.

Why don't you kill a couple more cats?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I went to Catholic grade school, and they didn't have food. You could buy white or brown milk, but that was it. Quarterly they had McDonalds day where you could buy McDonalds food. I loved McDonalds day. In high school I always bought my lunch. I can't remember what it cost, but I enjoyed the food. Typical institutional fare, but I thought it was good.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I remember being on the free breakfast program. I usually brought lunch.

I also remember lunches being 1.50.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I recall getting free lunch cause we were poor. Then it got to the point where we only qualified for reduced lunch and I felt like we couldn't afford it. Even though it comes out to only like 50 cents or so, you still have to prepay a punch ticket and the upfront cost seemed high at the time. I ate big breakfast at home and skipped lunch geeking out at the library reading or doing homework. Come to think of it considering the crap that is supposedly food that we were fed, I think it was time well spent.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
I wished I could get free lunch. Maybe I could've, I wasn't too clear on how to qualify.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Paid for lunch at my school (well my parents did, anyway). It was probably tastier but definitely far less healthy than a traditional USDA/public school provided lunch. Breakfast wasn't offered.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I did not get them reduced or free officially, but when I worked in the cafeteria in the 5th and 6th grade, if there were lunches left over, I could eat them.

The person in charge of the cafeteria was a good friend of my mom (who was a secretary at the next school over), always seemed to get the numbers wrong so there always seemed to be extras ;)

MotionMan

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Nope, my mom always made my lunch for me. She give give me money sometimes to buy lunch on Fridays though because it was pizza day and I loved pizza.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I lived within walking distance to my schools growing up as a kid. Never ate a single meal at the school. Always went home for a hot lunch made by Mom.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Full price but most days I had a packed lunch.

Grade K-2 (Private): This school did not offer lunch, just white or chocolate milk.

Grade 3-4 (Private): This school had an awesome cafeteria and served healthy lunches, no processed foods. They also published ingredient lists with calorie, fat, sodium count - this was loooong before the health food craze.

Grade 5-6 (Private): This school had an average cafeteria compared to the previous school but the meals were always healthy and published a month or so ahead of schedule.

Grade 7-8 (Public): First time attending a public school. Cafeteria was complete shit and this was the top ranked Junior High School in my district, less than ten years old. There was a "snack bar" which served Papa Johns Pizza and Subway sandwiches, also with chips, soda, chocolate chip cookies and other junk food. Probably 75% of kids ate here. There were two "hot" lunch lines which consisted of the typical unidentifiable food you always hear about. Toast with tomato paste and cheese product called "pizza", Salisbury steak which was a McRib like meat patty swimming in liquid salt with a dash of brown called "gravy". Jello with carrots, green beans and sometimes celery in it.

Grade 9-12 (Public): Same school district as the previous school, cafeteria was about the same. This cafeteria also sold Chik-fil-a sandwiches and Big Macs. Yum. It had a salad bar but they took it out because it was "too expensive".

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think that I had free or reduced lunches more often than not. I can't recall exactly, but I don't think there was a way for someone to tell if you had a reduced lunch price... especially when we went to PINs in high school.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Got free lunch K-7. Remembered really straving as a kid some mornings at school. Remembered asking mom about food at home and she said wait til Friday (payday). Then started paying $1 for a reduced lunch 7-11 grade. Paid fulled price 11-12 grade. I thank Liberals for school lunches and support it 100%.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I think that I had free or reduced lunches more often than not. I can't recall exactly, but I don't think there was a way for someone to tell if you had a reduced lunch price... especially when we went to PINs in high school.

At my H.S the free/reduced price and full price lunches were the same, however students who got free/reduced price lunches had their own line. So you could easily identify who was getting free meals because of the line they would get in for lunch. People who paid for lunch also had the option of buying things like ice cream, pizza, and nachos. Usually I purchased the same food as the free lunch people, but once or twice a week I would get one of the special items.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
I lived in poverty during 11-16 yrs of age, I'm glad that I had breakfast and lunch during school days.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Growing up in NYC in the 60s and 70s I had free lunch and the food was 1000x better than the lunch my son got that I paid for.

yes the free lunches were great back then, and I got free breakfast too!