Who here buys the expensive gas?

tmj

Apr 29, 2000
You know, the Super Unleaded Premium+ brand? Does it really help your car perform better? (i.e. is it worth the extra money?)

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I used to, but not anymore. It didn't run any better with the 93 octane anyway.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I do because my car is a GT model and they recommend it. :)

I don't know if it runs any better or not. I've never tried anything else.

It's usually only 10 cents more, so my 10-11 gallon fill-up is only about $1 extra. I think it's probably worth it for such a little price.

amish

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
My car says it needs the good stuff. (wouldn't dare back-talk to the love of my life)

What about Chevron with Techron?
used the stuff once... my exhaust fumes sure didn't smell any cleaner, but my wallet did feel lighter and less cluttered.

JavaCool

Mar 12, 2000
My dad has an accord and uses 92octane, my buddy has the exact same model and uses 89 and occasionally 87 (btw, it's bad to mix octane levels). Anyways, it seems my dad's car gets better accleration and has had no problems. My buddy's car has had a couple of minor problems, but nothing very serious.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I always thought every fuel type was hooked up to the same underground fuel container anyway. :)

You think maybe with these highish gas prices we'd start looking more seriously at alternative fuels again?

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
My 97 S-10 (4.3L) knocks and pings like hell until it gets its 92 octane fix. I guess its compression is too high because the recommended is 84 octane.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My '97 Z34 monte carlo would run like ass on anything above 89 octane. So, All I buy is the cheapest thing at the pump :)

Saves me anywhere from $.15 to $.30 a gallon now.

toothfairy

Apr 30, 2000
I have to, only because my car requires it.

What a rip off!

I'll consider this when I purchase my next car.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Is it common for a low performing car to perform even worse with higher octane fuel?

warlord

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
[enviornmental rant]

<< You think maybe with these highish gas prices we'd start looking more seriously at alternative fuels again? >>

yeah right, americans (including myself) love gas hogs way too much, I do drive a 88 honda civic that gets 35mph though, and thats on 87 octane :).

I should also say that even bigger than americans is the oil companies, who are in bed with oil sheik's, niether of whom want to stop making billions of dollars a year.

the amusing thing is that way back when, ethanol used to be cheap, but then the government started taxing its use, just like they do gasoline now. so ethanol fell by the way side, and what do we get for it now? smog clouds over our major cities.
[/enviornmental rant]

man who was that guy? ;)

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I only use the primo stuff in my motorcycle. Too expensive for the car. Plus, the bike is supposed to be pampered, and it's only about 3 GAL tank, which lasts a couple of weeks most of the time anyway.
:) Gas prices don't bother me too much these days. :)

Ricky
DesignDawg

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< yeah right, americans (including myself) love gas hogs way too much, I do drive a 88 honda civic that gets 35mph though, and thats on 87 octane >>

I've always considered gas mileage when buying a car...my current set of wheels also does 35mpg. I could care less about safety features, though. :) Guess my college Environmental Studies prof. made an impression as I even separate cans/bottles and cardboard when I toss.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
You should NOT use gas that isn't reccomended for you car.

If you use high octane gas in a car designed for low octane gas you are just poluting as well as wasting your money, there will be no performance increase.

If you use too low of an octane and have an older car it will &quot;knock&quot; and that can't be good.

Newer cars retard the engine timing to prevent knocking, so even though you think your car is running properly, it's not.