Who here as made the leap to an EV?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I've never owned a new car, and I need some kind of truck. If I were in the market for a new car, I'd give an electric truck a serious look. I don't venture far, so range is perfectly fine for 95%+ of my driving needs.

Anyone know how maintenance pans out EV vs ICE? EVs are mechanically simpler, but there's more electronics to get wonky. I wonder what the score card looks like between them.

Nissan Leaf Maintenance Schedule. https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten.../2019/2019-LEAF-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

Are you sure if you compare for example a BEV to the other manufacturers newer ICE cars that they really have that much electronics? All new cars have lots of electronics in them that can go wonky.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Are you sure if you compare for example a BEV to the other manufacturers newer ICE cars that they really have that much electronics? All new cars have lots of electronics in them that can go wonky.
Yea, maybe. So far, the newest car I've driven is a 2005. Seems like an ICE car can generally limp along with sketchy electronics, where it's more a core feature of EVs. I could be wrong too. There's also common breakables. If you could expect a $1k part to go up with some regularity in a vehicle, that could tip the scale. Also, Infotainment isn't necessary. Climate control is. Depends on what breaks.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've never owned a new car, and I need some kind of truck. If I were in the market for a new car, I'd give an electric truck a serious look. I don't venture far, so range is perfectly fine for 95%+ of my driving needs.

Anyone know how maintenance pans out EV vs ICE? EVs are mechanically simpler, but there's more electronics to get wonky. I wonder what the score card looks like between them.
I haven't read up on it much since I'm not in the market, but I'm under the impression that EVs are far better regarding maintenance than ICE vehicles.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Brakes, wiper blades/fluid, tires, cabin air filter. That's basically it.

BEVs that you would actually want to own also have a battery cooling loop, but the maintenance interval is typically something like 150k. If you remove the frunk liner in most of them there’s a decent amount of complexity of cooling loops, heat exchangers, etc but they are still way less maintenance than an ICE vehicle and the loop doesn’t see anywhere near the temperature extremes that result from ICE waste heat.

I owned my M3P for 2.5 years and 35k miles doing no maintenance other than tires and wiper related items. I should have done a cabin air filter but never got around to it prior to selling it to a coworker.

Viper GTS

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Nope. Hopefully my current car lasts 20+ years.

But I'll still hesitate until they make one with a manual transmission. I have a subpanel in my garage so I could easily put a charger in, but eh.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd love to get an EV truck if ever one is made available but I just can't justify that kind of money. The ones that are not out yet but in the works are in the 60-70k range, looking more like 80k by the time you factor taxes etc. That's like half of what my house cost and more than what my 40 acre property cost. That's a huge purchase for something that probably won't last more than 20 years. Road salt kills cars fast here.

Realistically I think my best bet is to do an EV swap. Hopefully with time more components for that will become available.

They are already running out of lithium and prices are going up exponentially so as much as I want EVs to become standard I don't see it happening unless they figure out a new tech.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
A "4x4 low" gear on an EV could actually be pretty cool to have. Great for pulling rocks or tree stumps out of the ground or other heavy pulling where you need tons of torque but not necessarily speed.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That would be a prerequisite for me to get an electric truck. I'd need it to be functionally the same as a typical 4x4, including 4low.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
A "4x4 low" gear on an EV could actually be pretty cool to have. Great for pulling rocks or tree stumps out of the ground or other heavy pulling where you need tons of torque but not necessarily speed.

EV's really don't need a low gear to have a lot of torque. The F150 lightning has 775 lb ft of torque. Electric Motors are different and the same rules don't apply to them as a internal combustion engine for getting maximum power.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
BEVs that you would actually want to own also have a battery cooling loop, but the maintenance interval is typically something like 150k. If you remove the frunk liner in most of them there’s a decent amount of complexity of cooling loops, heat exchangers, etc but they are still way less maintenance than an ICE vehicle and the loop doesn’t see anywhere near the temperature extremes that result from ICE waste heat.

I owned my M3P for 2.5 years and 35k miles doing no maintenance other than tires and wiper related items. I should have done a cabin air filter but never got around to it prior to selling it to a coworker.

Viper GTS

Related: for all that is fucking holy and good in this world can automotive engineers put cabin air filters in an easily accessible location that does not require screwdrivers, trim tools and the manual dexterity of Tolkien’s elves to change.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
EV's really don't need a low gear to have a lot of torque. The F150 lightning has 775 lb ft of torque. Electric Motors are different and the same rules don't apply to them as a internal combustion engine for getting maximum power.

I think there is still a certain curve though, especially at very low speeds. Ex: you have chain hooked up to stump and want to start from a full stop. But yeah the performance curve for electric motors tends to be more flat where you get full torque over most of the speed.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Related: for all that is fucking holy and good in this world can automotive engineers put cabin air filters in an easily accessible location that does not require screwdrivers, trim tools and the manual dexterity of Tolkien’s elves to change.

The hardest part of changing the cabin-filter in my Honda is getting the stuff out of the glove-box. Seriously the entire job requires 30 to 45 seconds if you take your time.

The last car I had that was a PITA to change it was a 2003 Outback that required several tools and a good twenty minutes taking stuff apart just to get to it. (with older cars it wasn't even a gimme that you had a cabin filter at all so I wasn't complaining)

Last edited:

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Got a CRZ hybrid manual a few yrs back averaging 6L per 100km and still have it, last yr added a used Bolt and lucked out Chevy giving me a few new battery with the recall. Oh also picked up a E-scooter last yr. I AMA

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Cars are so expensive, gas or EV.

Still holding onto my 2014 hyundai.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Cars are so expensive, gas or EV.

Still holding onto my 2014 hyundai.

yup, i'll probably be driving my 10 year old tiny honda 10 years from now

i can't get rid of something that's paid off and is getting me 40 highway mpg

and having no commute is gonna make this cramped thing last forever

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Traded in a Subaru BRZ last year for a Tesla Model 3 LR. Added a NEMA 14-50 plug on a 50A circuit for charging (33 miles/hour of charging). As a second car we've been happy with it. Have made 2 long distances day trips and 1 overnight trip without a major hassle. I enjoy the acceleration quite a bit.

Nov 20, 2009
I made the jump last November and so far no regrets. Heck, I was in my 21 year old Tundra at Costco yesterday when the wife pulled up to the pump and I was like, "Gosh, it's been a while since I've done this." In the last decade our designated weekend car only accrued about 300 miles/month, but this Tesla we easily are putting +1000 miles/month on it. During the high gas prices we are relying on EV much more. Our at home rate affords us about 250 miles of range for $10. About half a tank on the Tundra was $50. BTW, I did have an electrician install a 60-Amp circuit in the garage for charging. Overnight I can completely charge from <10% to >80% easily. At the Supercharger its like 40 minutes--or lunch at McDonalds.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Where I live there are A LOT of EV's, all kinds, hybrids, whatever. I don't know much about them but figure my next vehicle will be at least a hybrid, maybe fully electric. I was hoping it would be fully capable of getting me from A--->B with me reading or napping, watching a movie, but that doesn't seem to be happening as fast as one would think given all the publicity ~5 years ago when it had tremendous penetration in the popular news channels. Mostly I hear negative stuff now, Teslas crashing, etc.
During the high gas prices we are relying on EV much more. Our at home rate affords us about 250 miles of range for $10.
OMG, I'd have to pay probably over $70 for 250 miles range here in CA, and that's highway miles. :oops: But I'm driving very very little. I haven't bought gas since before Russia invaded Ukraine. Been through 1/2 a tank of gas since. My '97 Mazda sedan has 34k on it! Just passed my smog like a new car.

I've driven up to a pump about 20 times over the last 5 years, on average pumping about 1/2 a tank (i.e. about 7 gallons regular). So, I figure I've paid about $700 for gas in those 5 years. But that's mostly trips to Costco and the golf course. I stopped playing golf when covid hit.

Edit: I keep data on my fill-ups. Totaling my out of pocket cash (credit card, and I suppose I get 3-5% back from Costco) for the last 5 years, I paid $616, before the small cash-back.

I figure going EV right now doesn't make sense for me unless I start doing some real trekking here in the West, which I'd like to do. I ordered this today, which I figure would help in that:

Schumacher PC-6 AC to DC Power Converter with 12V DC Port that Plugs into 12V AC Outlet - 70 Watts Continuous 140 Peak Watts

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I have a reservation for a Rivian R1S but don’t expect to see it until late next year. I don’t have a charger at home but will be installing one once I take delivery. An EV will work for 99% of my driving needs and we have a fantastic gas vehicle for road trips already in my wife’s car.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a reservation for a Rivian R1S but don’t expect to see it until late next year. I don’t have a charger at home but will be installing one once I take delivery. An EV will work for 99% of my driving needs and we have a fantastic gas vehicle for road trips already in my wife’s car.
Release date: Q42022
Price: From $72,500
Power: Quad-motor AWD
Range: 316 miles
0-60 mph: 3.0 seconds
Special features: 7,700 lbs tow limit, Driver+ autonomous assistance, immersive audio, 4G and Wi-Fi.

0-60: 3.0 seconds! :oops:

My Triumph TR4 was 10.9 seconds. OMG.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Release date: Q42022
Price: From $72,500
Power: Quad-motor AWD
Range: 316 miles
0-60 mph: 3.0 seconds
Special features: 7,700 lbs tow limit, Driver+ autonomous assistance, immersive audio, 4G and Wi-Fi.

0-60: 3.0 seconds! :oops:

My Triumph TR4 was 10.9 seconds. OMG.

I have a 2017 Mercedes C63 AMG right now that will do 0-60 in about 4.0 seconds flat, which I am constantly impressed by, I’m not sure I can’t imagine what cutting a full second off that would feel like.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I have a 2017 Mercedes C63 AMG right now that will do 0-60 in about 4.0 seconds flat, which I am constantly impressed by, I’m not sure I can’t imagine what cutting a full second off that would feel like.

I've done like 2.8 in a Tesla. Feels like a Falcon Punch to your chest lol. I can't imagine what the new 1.9s one is like!