Who here as made the leap to an EV?

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I've always been a truck driver -- whether it is due to my height, infrequent need for using the bed, and just general love of them, I've almost always driven a truck.

However. And not only because gas prices are currently bending me over a barrel and showing me the 50 states, but for general cost savings/tax incentives, environmental concerns, and major leaps in the technology, EVs have piqued my interest. More specifically, the Hyundai Ioniq 5. Running the numbers that factor in my current driving habits, gas prices (extremes and norms), and cost of electricity, I'd be saving a substantial amount of money by making the switch. That combined with the fact that I would get back ~92% of what I paid for my truck 3+ years ago, has me seriously considering getting an EV.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation/already made the jump?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not yet but I'd seriously consider a plug-in hybrid for my next vehicle .... I don't trust our power-grid enough to 100% rely on it to get around. Far better to have a built-in backup drive system that can also deliver a battery recharge on its own.

Thank goodness I have a tiny Honda now and get around 40 mpg. :)

Reactions: GrumpyMan

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The tech must mature sufficiently so that the the mechanism of combustion is good enough either to not need a connected garage smoke detector or there is a combustion failsafe in the batteries.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I've always been a truck driver -- whether it is due to my height, infrequent need for using the bed, and just general love of them, I've almost always driven a truck.

However. And not only because gas prices are currently bending me over a barrel and showing me the 50 states, but for general cost savings/tax incentives, environmental concerns, and major leaps in the technology, EVs have piqued my interest. More specifically, the Hyundai Ioniq 5. Running the numbers that factor in my current driving habits, gas prices (extremes and norms), and cost of electricity, I'd be saving a substantial amount of money by making the switch. That combined with the fact that I would get back ~92% of what I paid for my truck 3+ years ago, has me seriously considering getting an EV.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation/already made the jump?

I made the Jump at the end of 2015 and bought a Nissan Leaf. I was tired of being screwed over at the gas pump. Traded in that Leaf in 2019 for a newer Leaf that has more range.

The most important question to consider before buying a EV, do you have a place to charge it overnight? Garage etc?

Reactions: Captante

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I made the Jump at the end of 2015 and bought a Nissan Leaf. I was tired of being screwed over at the gas pump. Traded in that Leaf in 2019 for a newer Leaf that has more range.

The most important question to consider before buying a EV, do you have a place to charge it overnight? Garage etc?

Indeed! We have a 3 car garage.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We got an i3 w/Rex (so PHEV) in 2015. Eventually swapped it out for another when the lease was up, they were great deals from BMW. Currently in a 330e and the husband drives a Model 3 Long Range. I'd really like to buy the forthcoming WV ID.3 GTX but WV in their wisdom won't sell them here. Considering the Ioniq 5 but might end up in the most recent i3s BEV which can be had relatively reasonably CPO off lease.

We've always had charging either personal or shared in the building where we have lived.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I live in an urban area so don't have the charging infrastructure for a full EV. However my next car will 100% be a hybrid. I almost bought a relatives used Prius a couple years ago or just before COVID and have regretted not doing it ever since.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Indeed! We have a 3 car garage.

Do you have the capacity in your breaker panel to install a 220V 14-50 outlet? It would require a 2-pole 50-amp breaker. If you can, then you are kind of set for EV Charging which is the most important question to consider.

The Ioniq 5 is a good car. However it is not available in all 50 states and it seems like Hyundai only has limited availability.

Have you looked at the VW ID4? Wife and I test drove that at a car show and we really liked it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We had a Ford C-Max for a couple of years. I liked getting over 40 mpg, but the car was just too damned small. (went from a Ford Expedition to the hybrid) Traded it in on a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. Then, traded that in for a 2019 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost when Ford offered me 0% financing. ( got a whole lot more truck for almost the same monthly payment)
Lately, we've been kicking around the idea of either a hybrid or electric vehicle, but it can't be a small car. Those just don't work for us. Right now, by biggest issue with electric vehicles is the range and time to charge. For normal use, those aren't really a problem, but a couple of times per year, we make a trip of around 1000 miles (or more)each way. I'm fine with spending one night in a motel along the way, but with the range of most electrics, that would become 2 nights in a motel...or more.
(plus, being poor enough that I have to finance a vehicle instead of buying it outright, I really hate to give up that 0% financing.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Not yet but I'd seriously consider a plug-in hybrid for my next vehicle .... I don't trust our power-grid enough to 100% rely on it to get around. Far better to have a built-in backup drive system.

Thank goodness I have a tiny Honda now and get around 40 mpg. :)

I'm eyeing the rav 4 prime for my wife's next car.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm almost definitely going to go to an EV for my next car, our house already has a charger in the garage (previous family had Tesla), but even if it didn't I think I would be getting one. My brother has a Bolt which he's been pretty happy with except the range takes a big hit in the winter, to the point where he had to use his gf's car to get to work.

I was liking the Ford Mach-E but hearing all the problems Ford has been having I'm not sure I want to touch any of their stuff, not really sure what I'd go for but I'd probably end up with a Tesla even though I'd rather not since all other EV's seem to be crossovers/SUVs and I don't want one of those.

Every time I see a Stinger GT though I'm tempted just to go for one those...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Unfortunately here in CA they are marking up close to 10k over MSRP. Definitely not paying that.

She paid a premium for it BUT she also GOT a slightly smaller premium for her Prius. Even so right now is a still a terrible time to buy a car and I wouldn't have done it considering she already had a very nice (albeit boring) ride.

My plan is to drive my Honda until the wheels fall off or gas goes to like $15+ per gallon.

I figure the longer I can hold out the better EV's/hybrids will be. :)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm hoping to just not ever buy another automobile... but I am definitely very open to the idea of converting my old Miata to electric in the next 5-10 years.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I’m 100% BEV right now with a MYP and a Mini Cooper SE. There’s a very real chance I will never own another ICE vehicle, though I am leaving a small window open for something like a C8Z. I definitely have no interest in ever owning another ICE daily driver, and this is not even really related to gas prices. The performance, driving characteristics, and overall ownership experience of BEVs is so vastly superior that I would pay extra for it. The fact that it also cuts my fuel expense by 80% or more is a very happy side bonus, but it’s nowhere near the top of my reasons for wanting EVs.

Viper GTS

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Since chevy recently dropped the price of the bolt I've been seriously considering it. $45k+ is hard to swallow but $28-29k for a bolt with the options I want is justifiable. I have two cars, fun and daily, so I can always use the fun car for longer trips since the bolt sucks at DC fast charging.

Dec 10, 2005
I live in an urban area so don't have the charging infrastructure for a full EV. However my next car will 100% be a hybrid. I almost bought a relatives used Prius a couple years ago or just before COVID and have regretted not doing it ever since.
Same for me regarding next car (if the local Hyundai dealership gets one in stock eventually). Don't have dedicated charging at home; we also only have 1 car and routinely enough drive into the middle of nowhere New Hampshire to hike - round trip distances that would necessitate stopping on the way back to charge thanks to a lack of destination chargers in the wilderness.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
We bought a plug in hybrid BMW 535e 3 years ago. I used to have a 50 mile round trip for work. Changed jobs and now it is 18 miles. I get 15 miles on a charge. So that is working out well.

Add in that we have solar at home and this helps keeping my commute costs down.

Yes some of us have to go into the office, with my job no change to WFH.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Same for me regarding next car (if the local Hyundai dealership gets one in stock eventually). Don't have dedicated charging at home; we also only have 1 car and routinely enough drive into the middle of nowhere New Hampshire to hike - round trip distances that would necessitate stopping on the way back to charge thanks to a lack of destination chargers in the wilderness.

Agreed. I'm hoping, and that's just a hope, because I need to find the right partner to do this stuff with, to do longer road trips with, so a hybrid is the best for that.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've never owned a new car, and I need some kind of truck. If I were in the market for a new car, I'd give an electric truck a serious look. I don't venture far, so range is perfectly fine for 95%+ of my driving needs.

Anyone know how maintenance pans out EV vs ICE? EVs are mechanically simpler, but there's more electronics to get wonky. I wonder what the score card looks like between them.