Who hates mourning doves? Fess up.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Posting on ATOT? Already doing it. :(

Erm.... YEAH that's it! ;)

santa-tombstone.jpg

HINT: It's the same "alternative" to yet another birthday!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Yes, fuck these birds. They have to be the WORST bird parents I've ever seen.
They try to nest on uneven surfaces, like outdoor patio fans, or pillars that are curved at the top thus their eggs roll right off. They also try to make a nest in my hanging planters, even if any time I see them I run out and get OH SO CLOSE to smacking them. Hey lets keep going back to that one spot were we get attacked all the time. I've also seen them try to tend to their eggs that they laid on the fucking ground. These guys are all sorts of dumb, pretty sure my dogs have caught and ate them a few times in our back yard as well.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
We have a lot of them on our property in our conifer trees. I hear if you get enough of them to fill a crockpot, they are quite good eating.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't hate them, but I wish they'd eat less. I put out food to attract the pretty birds, not a whole flock of drab birds.
Maybe they're like carnations and if you put a bunch of dyes in the food, it will start to make them more colorful.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Zeze

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I love em. They sound so distinctive and emotive.

Last summer we saw a random housecat pounced on one. Then the remaining dove was all alone.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe they're like carnations and if you put a bunch of dyes in the food, it will start to make them more colorful.
Imagine if this actually worked.

1. nakedfrog feeds food dye to wildlife birds
2. Local birdwatchers and neighbors start to buzz about these amazing new color variations
3. The local news does a piece on this.
4. Bird scientists and nerds chime in that this is actually due to some crazy person feeding bunch of dyes in the feed.
5. The person is identified on local news and nakedfrog is seen closing the door shut on the reporter.
6. This goes viral online. It hits frontpage of reddit and tiktok.
7. nakedfrog is ostracized and ends up moving out of his town.
8. nakedfrog posts about it on ATOT.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You just hate the doves and don't want to see them prettied up. You'll pay for your insolence! YOU WILL RUE THE DAY!

giphy.gif

Okay, maybe a LITTLE crazy...

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Came home on Saturday to see yet again the doves trying to build a nest on a ceiling fan in my patio, these guys are a special type of stupid. So many twigs on the ground, who would think a smooth, curved metal surface wouldn't be ideal to make a nest on.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Doug made it through the night. I know birds live outside and he should be OK but I was concerned because he is missing quite a few feathers and I thought he might get too cold. I covered his cage and he walked under the blankets and stayed there under the blankets all night. I have seen him eat and hope that he is drinking also.

Bird 3.jpeg

This is Doug when he was found in the front yard. I hope that his feathers grow back in a couple of months. That is just a complete guess on my part.
Bird 4-1.jpg

Last edited:

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks PC.

Really Long story.
Someone in our neighborhood had about 15 animals including peacocks. They got rid of the other animals but the peacocks are still around. Last week one of the peacocks was in front of our house. We were looking at it and one of our neighbors asked if we should call animal control. We talked about that later, that animal control would not come out on Saturday at 5:00 for a peacock. The next day told this story to my sister and she said that they saw a wounded hawk on the road and they called animal control and they told her they would not come out, but to call a place that specializes in hawks.

Fast forward to yesterday and there was a group of people standing in front of my house and they said there was a injured dove in my front yard. They had called "the department of rehabilitation" and left a message with my address. I knew there was no way anyone was going to come out to get a dove. They would probably say to leave the dove alone and let the hawk come back get it's lunch. Nature is nature. So I put a cage around the dove and went to Tractor Supply (I was going there anyway). Got some bird seed. On the way there I thought, wasn't there a thread about how much we hate doves and now I am trying to save one?

I sent pictures to my daughter and she said it was a perfect Father's day present for me. To try and save a wild animal. I I told her that I think I will call it Doug because Doug the Dove sounds great. It is probably a girl bird but Doug the dove just sounds too good.

Obligatory picture of the peacock as it walked through our backyard.
Bird 2.jpeg