Who hates commercials?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hate em?

• Total voters

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Is it better for Youtube then Adblock Plus? (never tried)
Years ago ABP became known as a resource hog, and a lot of people, me included, switched to uBlock. Dunno the current status of ABP, but I see no reason to switch away from uBlockOrigin. It works well and causes few problems. It's also more powerful than legacy ABP(remember. I haven't used it in years), but with an associated hassle load similar to NoScript. You can turn on the advanced modes, but they require more user interaction. Default install is set/forget.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Is it better for Youtube then Adblock Plus? (never tried)

I've never used any other content blocking tool so I cant compare. There are zero Youtube ads, and 99% of all regular advertisement on websites are gone, zero pop ups, and all that good stuff.

It was quite an experience after many years of browsing with no blocker, we really don't realize the absurd amount advertisements we get bombarded with daily.

Reactions: soulcougher73

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've never used any other content blocking tool so I cant compare. There are zero Youtube ads, and 99% of all regular advertisement on websites are gone, zero pop ups, and all that good stuff.

It was quite an experience after many years of browsing with no blocker, we really don't realize the absurd amount advertisements we get bombarded with daily.

So about the same as Adblock Plus from the sound of it .... the only ads I ever see are the ones YT embeds into the body of the video.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I have used Ublock origin for some time now. Any recommendations for the best browser/adblocker combo for my phone?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have used Ublock origin for some time now. Any recommendations for the best browser/adblocker combo for my phone?

I installed UBO on FF on my phone. I think Brave already has an ad blocker installed?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If you aren't rooted, and don't use a vpn for other purposes, you can use a local vpn to filter ads across the whole phone. I use DNS66, but there's others. I also use firefox and uBO, cause fuck chrome.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you aren't rooted, and don't use a vpn for other purposes, you can use a local vpn to filter ads across the whole phone. I use DNS66, but there's others. I also use firefox and uBO, cause fuck chrome.

Yeah I've about had it myself and use Firefox at least half the time now.

The last straw was a couple updates ago when (at least for me) a lot of websites started breaking in Chrome but working just fine in Firefox or even Edge!

At one point Chrome WAS the best browser with plenty of positives to outweigh the (many) negatives. Those days have passed.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My problem with chrome is more philosophical. It might be an amazing browser, but I don't want to use it. We went through this shit with IE, when they were the only player, and MS did what they wanted. A monopoly isn't any better with google calling the shots. I've been a little irritated with firefox's direction, but they'd have to get *much* worse before I abandoned them. They're the last stand against google controlling the web, and doing whatever they want. What's an ad company want anyway? I'm sure they aren't looking out for *my* best interests.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
My problem with chrome is more philosophical. It might be an amazing browser, but I don't want to use it. We went through this shit with IE, when they were the only player, and MS did what they wanted. A monopoly isn't any better with google calling the shots. I've been a little irritated with firefox's direction, but they'd have to get *much* worse before I abandoned them. They're the last stand against google controlling the web, and doing whatever they want. What's an ad company want anyway? I'm sure they aren't looking out for *my* best interests.

Kinda why I stuck with Firefox for years…even when you could literally watch your memory get slowly consumed. Better now, thankfully.

I do have some Google crap (a gmail addy that’s never used, for instance) but try to avoid when I can.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I love them! How else am I supposed to know what medications I need? Talk to my doctor? Like he know anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Ken g6

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I use Sling to stream live TV. They give me like 100 hrs to record. So I record everything live I want to see so I can zip through the commercials. The cool thing is that I can wait about 15 or 20 minutes for the program to begin recording and then I can start to stream the program. This allows me to zip through the commercials and if I want to go to the bathroom or whatever, I can allow them to run. You can zip forward in chunks of 30 seconds, so I have gotten pretty good at clicking 4 or 5 times to blow through the adds since most are in 30 second chunks. It also allows me to go back 10 seconds at a time if I have over clicked. I wouldn't mind commercials but they run the same commercial 5 or 6 times during a 1 hour show, yeah, no thanks.

We stream YouTube tv. I do the same thing…pause for a bit, then watch and fast forward thru commercials.

Then again, I’m recording darned near everything I think I may want to watch. YT TV offers unlimited storage and I do believe it. Have hundreds upon hundreds of hours of tv recorded…sports, movies, whatever. No sign I’ll run out anytime soon.

Reactions: GrumpyMan
Nov 17, 2019
Then again, I’m recording darned near everything I think I may want to watch.

Have hundreds upon hundreds of hours of tv recorded ...
Years back before I turned the TV off, took the outside OTA antenna down and cancelled Dish, I had done that ..... recorded all kinds of stuff. Not only from Dish, but loads of old TV shows from the nostalgia type OTA channels. Also bought quite a few DVDs on sale for a few bucks a piece.

In the five or more years since, I haven't watched a minute of any of it. Most of the DVDs are still sealed.