Who has done their taxes? FED Tax Liability change?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I just received my last W-2 today and promptly entered it into TaxAct and finished my taxes. Seems I must be "rich" since my Federal tax liability went down by over $1000 - which is just over a 17% reduction from last year.

My exemptions and deductions were also increased this year due to the marriage penalty tax being taken away.
Also my tax credits(after tax liability) went up by a few hundred. The child tax credit doesn't really show up in the numbers since it is taken away internally so basically my credits were $800 more than what the software and numbers show since I got the check last fall.

But yeah, my "rich" household income of ~60K (give of take a few K;)) didn't get anything from the Bush tax cut - it must have gone to all the "rich" 70+K incomes
rolleye.gif

Anyone else figured their taxes yet? I'm curious to see peoples change in FEDERAL TAX LIABILITY numbers from last year. Now I should state that if you saw an increase in salary your numbers will be skewed a tad, but my household income numbers stayed approx the same this year. Anyone wish to share numbers or Federal tax liability % change?

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Coincidence! I did TaxAct last night also. Good thing, too. I hadn't thought of EIC and Child Tax Credit. I was just going to fill out the 1040A and be done with it. TaxAct got me another $2600. :)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Just my rough numbers, last year vs. this year. I'm in the "rich" according to the dems because my family of 4 takes in about 115K per year...

14% this year. 16% last year. A reduction of about $1,800.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
Coincidence! I did TaxAct last night also. Good thing, too. I hadn't thought of EIC and Child Tax Credit. I was just going to fill out the 1040A and be done with it. TaxAct got me another $2600. :)

As long as you didn't get more back than you paid in throughout the year...I won't bitch too much.;) EIC and other "credits" should have a "net zero" tag line to it;)

I suppose I should pay for the software now so I can e-file and then buy the state version too. It's only $20 and should get me my money back faster.:)

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: alchemize
Just my rough numbers, last year vs. this year. I'm in the "rich" according to the dems because my family of 4 takes in about 115K per year...

That's Liability/AGI - right?

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

As long as you didn't get more back than you paid in throughout the year...I won't bitch too much.;) EIC and other "credits" should have a "net zero" tag line to it;)

I suppose I should pay for the software now so I can e-file and then buy the state version too. It's only $20 and should get me my money back faster.:)

CkG

It probably helped that my son was born in the last week of November. :)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Yeah, my son was born in December of 2001. He was a few weeks early - he saved me a few hundred on my taxes that year due to his early arrival:D

CkG

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize

That's Liability/AGI - right?

CkG

Exactly :) Haven't finished honing my deductions yet, just an estimate :)

Helped my son was born December 30, 2002 ;)

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

CkG

Yeah, my son was born in December of 2001. He was a few weeks early - he saved me a few hundred on my taxes that year due to his early arrival:D

CkG

:beer:

And just pay the 8 bucks and use their online site for State.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just did my Taxes 2 days ago and found my taxes dropped over$1200 from last years on roughly the same household income. Needless to say I was somewhat elated. In the past it always seemed everyone but me benefitted from a taxcut. Guess it was that damn marriage penalty skewing everything. I have a feeling that a lot of voters will be suitably impressed to see the effect of Bush's taxcut when they complete their returns.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NesuD
Just did my Taxes 2 days ago and found my taxes dropped over$1200 from last years on roughly the same household income. Needless to say I was somewhat elated. In the past it always seemed everyone but me benefitted from a taxcut. Guess it was that damn marriage penalty skewing everything. I have a feeling that a lot of voters will be suitably impressed to see the effect of Bush's taxcut when they complete their returns.

Actually, I tend to think that after a couple of days of dancing around in circles, they will realize part of the reason we have a half trillion dollar deficit ;).

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

You have 1 more month to get started on another exemption for 2004. :eek:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Before all you peeps submit you taxes (if it is not to late), check out some of the ideas that are floating around in the ATOT Tax thread. May save someone a few more $$$.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I have done the initial work on my taxes, and it looks like will be about 2000 reduction in taxes on slightly increased income. Might get more if we decide to do IRA.

I was not expecting this decrease being a dink.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Woo Hooo a whole whopping 2% when the cost of of everything was raised way more than that 2% to make up for the supposed "Cut".

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Woo Hooo a whole whopping 2% when the cost of of everything was raised way more than that 2% to make up for the supposed "Cut".

MAN THE LIFEBOAT!!!

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

MAN THE LIFEBOAT!!!

CkG

MAN THE LIFEBOATS!!!

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
We've already filed online with TurboTax. We're getting back quite a bit more than usual.

Does this mean I have to vote for Bush. :)

-Robert

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I take it that Y'all realize this isn't really a tax "cut", that we're merely borrowing money to pay our taxes? Or that 12 cents of every tax dollar goes to paying the interest on past tax "cut" illusions?

Party hearty, dudes, try not to notice that your hosts pissed in the punchbowl....

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
I take it that Y'all realize this isn't really a tax "cut", that we're merely borrowing money to pay our taxes? Or that 12 cents of every tax dollar goes to paying the interest on past tax "cut" illusions?

Party hearty, dudes, try not to notice that your hosts pissed in the punchbowl....

Make sure you figure out what you would have paid before Bush's tax cuts(what you think you SHOULD have to pay) and send it to the Feds.:)
I don't think anyone here will stop you from doing so.:D

CkG

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

Make sure you figure out what you would have paid before Bush's tax cuts(what you think you SHOULD have to pay) and send it to the Feds.:)
I don't think anyone here will stop you from doing so.:D

CkG

I dont think very many liberals are going to take that offer.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Well, I be done.

Am a little better off than last year, largely due to charitable contributions.

Least I don't owe :D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I would, and gladly, if there were some way that payment could be credited to my account and interest accrued so as to count against the inevitable tax hikes and interest payments I'll be making along with a lot of short-sighted folks who seem to like borrowing money they don't need, and co-signing on really big notes for others who can easily buy citizenship in some tax haven, like Bermuda...

The wife and I did quite well on the tax break- two kids, ~$90K total income, near the lower end of Dubya's target income group... We have no illusions, however, that we're the recipients of some beneficience from the Republicans, or that this whole thing is actually connected to fiscal responsibility in any way whatsoever...

Just keep your snouts in the trough, there's a reason you're being fed so well...