Who has a Nextel phone and how bad is it?

Busie23

Jan 24, 2001
I have had three different Nextel phones, and they have all performed poorly and all have been big and bulky. Do they make anything that works well or is it just me?

WTT0001

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2001
I have the i35 and like it, on the other hand I prefer a real phone and not a little piece of plastic to talk to:D

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003
My I95cl is awesome. Works great. Good signal 99% of the time, and voice is pretty clear.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Are you saying that the service sucks or are the design/quality of the phones not up to your liking? I have Nextel w/the old Moto i700 and to say the service is spotty is quite the understatement. Stupid signal doesnt go through about 25% of the time and you spend about a minute just trying to say "What? What did you say" while the other party is saying to you "What , what did you say?" and on and on. I guess that for what they are, they are okay, but thats about all.

My radio dies (goes to red) about 10 miles north of my warehouse, which is about 40 miles north of Atlanta, and will not work until I get back down to that area. Funny thing is that the Nextel dealer is about 5 miles from the dead zone and they tout their stupid nationwide coverage. I guess I drive out of the country too much ;>)

Edit: The phone BTW is pretty stout, but its like carrying a small child on your hip. Ive launched the thing clear across parking lots climbing out of my truck and it still works.I know you are thinking..Hmmm maybe dropping it too many times is why it dont work. Uh uh , we have several units that are fairly unbeaten and they suck too.

Peace

Lounatik

Busie23

Jan 24, 2001
I'm saying the service and design both suck. I have yet to use the i95cl or the other new color one i733, but my i90, i58sr, and i80s have all performed real bad for one reason or another. The service seems to blow in general even though we are in an area that supposedly has great coverage (Cleveland). Like Lounatik said, it is always "what..what did you say" or "say again", etc. I always get "call failed" or a very long pause when I dial and then it will ring, or the voice gets all broken up. The walkie talky feature is even more retarded...."cannot find user", yet they are in the room next door, etc.. and it is really annoying if you don't hit the PTT button just right or you get that dang long beep where you have to wait 10 seconds before you can try again.

The i90 was the first phone I had. The battery blew, as did all the dam volume settings. I would not even use the phone and it woul need charged after a few hours, this was even after I tuned all the battery draining options down. Sometime the phone would ring real loud other times I wouldn't hear the alarm go off because it was to low. Figuring out the multiple differnet soudn settings was a pain. And to boot the phone would just turn off by itself all of the time.

I did like how it was somewhat compact, but comared to other phones it is still gigantic. The durability seems rugged to as it eventually was beat pretty good. This was after it never worked in the place so it getting beat up had nothing to do with its performance. I had three different i90s.

Next I got an i80. This thing is about a foot long and could probably be used to knife someone? It didn't really fit in any pockets etc, and was easily scratched up. The service did all the same crap as the the i90. The worse part was how it would shut off when you went to talk. Apparently the battery case would flex just right when you put it up to your ear so it gave the battery just enough room to loose contact and cut off. It was weird becasue it didn't do it right away, but after like a month or so. The whole fleet of phones started doing it too. You could fix it by wedging some paper in there but come on?

The I got the "rugged" i58sr. This thing comes with a super battery that supposedly has a super long talk time. Funny, I don't use it and it is dead by the end of the day? he super battery and phone weigh in at about 15 pounds and the phone is about 1" thick by 4.5" long. Try storing that anywhere. If the battery isn't dead and I do get to talk for more than a few minutes my arm is dead tired. But this thing is super rugged and can take a real beating, and doubles as a workout device.

If I didn't have to use these for work I would never ever touch a nother nextel phone. Their account reps suck, the service sucks, and the phones cons out weight the pros in each of my cases. The reallly good thing is the speaker phone option whihc is really loud and clear, but only when you are actually have a clear connection to teh other person and the phone isn't dead, cutting off by its self or acting up.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Busie23
I'm saying the service and design both suck. I have yet to use the i95cl or the other new color one i733, but my i90, i58sr, and i80s have all performed real bad for one reason or another. The service seems to blow in general even though we are in an area that supposedly has great coverage (Cleveland). Like Lounatik said, it is always "what..what did you say" or "say again", etc. I always get "call failed" or a very long pause when I dial and then it will ring, or the voice gets all broken up. The walkie talky feature is even more retarded...."cannot find user", yet they are in the room next door, etc.. and it is really annoying if you don't hit the PTT button just right or you get that dang long beep where you have to wait 10 seconds before you can try again.

The i90 was the first phone I had. The battery blew, as did all the dam volume settings. I would not even use the phone and it woul need charged after a few hours, this was even after I tuned all the battery draining options down. Sometime the phone would ring real loud other times I wouldn't hear the alarm go off because it was to low. Figuring out the multiple differnet soudn settings was a pain. And to boot the phone would just turn off by itself all of the time.

I did like how it was somewhat compact, but comared to other phones it is still gigantic. The durability seems rugged to as it eventually was beat pretty good. This was after it never worked in the place so it getting beat up had nothing to do with its performance. I had three different i90s.

Next I got an i80. This thing is about a foot long and could probably be used to knife someone? It didn't really fit in any pockets etc, and was easily scratched up. The service did all the same crap as the the i90. The worse part was how it would shut off when you went to talk. Apparently the battery case would flex just right when you put it up to your ear so it gave the battery just enough room to loose contact and cut off. It was weird becasue it didn't do it right away, but after like a month or so. The whole fleet of phones started doing it too. You could fix it by wedging some paper in there but come on?

The I got the "rugged" i58sr. This thing comes with a super battery that supposedly has a super long talk time. Funny, I don't use it and it is dead by the end of the day? he super battery and phone weigh in at about 15 pounds and the phone is about 1" thick by 4.5" long. Try storing that anywhere. If the battery isn't dead and I do get to talk for more than a few minutes my arm is dead tired. But this thing is super rugged and can take a real beating, and doubles as a workout device.

If I didn't have to use these for work I would never ever touch a nother nextel phone. Their account reps suck, the service sucks, and the phones cons out weight the pros in each of my cases. The reallly good thing is the speaker phone option whihc is really loud and clear, but only when you are actually have a clear connection to teh other person and the phone isn't dead, cutting off by its self or acting up.

Seems like your is an isolated incident at least from what I've heard. I've heard nothing but praises for their service.

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
I hate it when people from Nextel say that they have "real" phones. I just signed up with Verizon and their phones are built really well, and super durable. I would recommend switching over to Verizon if you're unhappy with Nextel. You'll get better coverage and Verizon is trying to implement their own version of PTT.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: geckojohn
I hate it when people from Nextel say that they have "real" phones. I just signed up with Verizon and their phones are built really well, and super durable. I would recommend switching over to Verizon if you're unhappy with Nextel. You'll get better coverage and Verizon is trying to implement their own version of PTT.

Verizon's PTT is carppy right now. That is obvious. AS for existing services other than PTT, they have provided me with nothing but the uptmost quality. I can get signals in skyscrapers, in dead-zones..EVERYWHERE...with reliable connections to bat. I'll admit, the t720 I bought from them last year isn't perfect, but is solid after having dropped it, and it is still going strong although physically beaten up.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Nextel has a new slim phone out. It is called the Motorola i730, a nice piece of work, performs really really good. The reception on this phone is awesome, it reaches where my i95 could not get signal.

ASK THE COMMUNITY