Who got home from work and made home made chicken noodle soup for the family?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
::looks around::

Oh...it was ME!!!! My wife couldn't believe I made the best soup she's ever had in about an hour ;)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
OK, cough it up.

How did you make chicken noodle soup in an hour? It takes 3-4 hours just to make the stock. ;)

Congrats, nothing like really, really good chicken noodle soup.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Honestly I'd much rather have a nice warm congee, with maybe some shrimp or chicken in it.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
OK, cough it up.

How did you make chicken noodle soup in an hour? It takes 3-4 hours just to make the stock. ;)

I was HOPING someone would ask that. I keep boulion cubes from past stocks I've made in the freezer. When you make stock, put it in ice cube trays, then dunk a few cubes in some water when you're cooking.

With that shortcut, I just boiled the chicken in some waters with trinity veggies (celery, onion, carrots), threw in some fresh peas I had in the fridge, couple of bay leaves, thyme, parsley...done in an hour.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo
OK, cough it up.

I was HOPING someone would ask that. I keep boulion cubes from past stocks I've made in the freezer. When you make stock, put it in ice cube trays, then dunk a few cubes in some water when you're cooking.

With that shortcut, I just boiled the chicken in some waters with trinity veggies (celery, onion, carrots), threw in some fresh peas I had in the fridge, couple of bay leaves, thyme, parsley...done in an hour.

That would explain everything then. It's all in the stock.

*checks freezer*, yep at least one chicken carcass to make stock with.

If you're interested I've been really impressed with the chicken stock from costco. Not nearly as good as homemade, but pretty tasty and always good to have around.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: JS80
liar (best soup she's ever had)

"My wife couldn't believe I made the best soup she's ever had in about an hour"

the best soup she ever had in the past hour probably.

lol j/k. good job OP. i think no matter how much you make or what kind of status you are, it really says a lot if you can cook well.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: sniperruff
Originally posted by: JS80
liar (best soup she's ever had)

"My wife couldn't believe I made the best soup she's ever had in about an hour"

the best soup she ever had in the past hour probably.

:D

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Oh...it was ME!!!! My wife couldn't believe I made the best soup she's ever had in about an hour ;)

nice :thumbsup:

i bet she would appreciate anything you made for supper cause YOU MADE IT and she didn't have to! :)

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I made chicken soup yesterday.

The wife called me at 9:00am and said her flight was going to be coming in at 11:00am and that she was too sick to go to work last night.

I had it made by the time she came home.

Chicken, tons of veggies, and a little wild rice.

I change out a couple ingregients from Emeril's "Get Well chicken soup"

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 chicken (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), boned, skinned, and visible fat removed (save the bones and the carcass, discard the skin), diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 turns freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup (loosely packed)fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
2 cups assorted chopped fresh vegetables, such as beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cabbage, or whatever is in season
1 cup (firmly packed) rinsed and torn spinach leaves
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 quarts Basic Chicken Stock
1 cup wild rice

Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken meat and bones, salt, and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the meat and bones are brown, for about 5 minutes. Add the onions, mushrooms, celery, carrots, green onions, garlic, parsley, basil, bay leaves, and Creole Seasoning and sauté, stirring once or twice, for about 4 minutes. Add the chopped vegetables, spinach, and crushed red pepper and sauté for 1 minute.

Add the stock to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 minutes. Add the rice, bring back to a boil, and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from the heat. Remove the carcass and loose bones. Unless you?re too ill to wait, the soup will taste even better if you refrigerate it over night. The next day, remove and discard the congealed fat on the top and reheat to soup over medium-low heat.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
OK, cough it up.

LIES!
The trinity veggies are celery, onion and bell pepper.
Celery, onion and carrot is a maripois.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher

The wife called me at 9:00am and said her flight was going to be coming in 11:00am and that she was too sick to go to work last night.

I had it made by the time she came home.

Chicken, tons of veggies, and a little wild rice.

:thumbsup:

Good Man.

You're a real Man in my book.

I'm serious, my girl absolutely loves to cook for me for hours on end. But she loves it even more when I cook for her.

OP - he got da bacon, he cooked the bacon, he gave it to his family. That's love.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
2 cups assorted chopped fresh vegetables, such as beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cabbage, or whatever is in season
1 cup (firmly packed) rinsed and torn spinach leaves

Ok, bad man. I rescind.
;)

Try with your own stock.

Wanna quick stock?

Pick up a whole roasted chicken, clean it and put meat aside, high simmer the carcass for an hour with veggies/salt/garlic/seasonings. Skim. Strain.

In another pan sweat veggies/salt/garlic with some flour to make rue when they're soft, use some of the stock for moisture. Plenty of butter helps here.

Veggies soft, quick stock ready, turn up heat, slowly pour stock and bring to a boil, adding cut veggies. Season to taste when boiling. Add noodles, medium simmer till done.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade

nice :thumbsup:

i bet she would appreciate anything you made for supper cause YOU MADE IT and she didn't have to! :)

My wife needs a recipe to boil water, and even then she would burn it :) I do nearly all the cooking. She's good at cleaning and laundry, so it works out.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Chryso
OK, cough it up.

LIES!
The trinity veggies are celery, onion and bell pepper.
Celery, onion and carrot is a maripois.

I'll be darned. You are correct. I've had it wrong all these years.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001

My wife needs a recipe to boil water, and even then she would burn it :) I do nearly all the cooking. She's good at cleaning and laundry, so it works out.

Wait, I thought my wife was only married to me!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I don't know any women from the current generation (~20 now) who can cook... They are all at college trying to find a husband who will get a good job and finance them... as well as cook for them, and clean for them, and raise the kids for them...
Really, not a single one can cook, and their dorms are FILTHY. And then they get pregnant, marry the guy, and drop out of college due to pregnancy (that and not wanting to work later on...)

I see it happening all the time...

My policy is that a woman has to either be an expert cook, or have a degree to even consider a relationship with her... otherwise it is just not fair.