Who controls the "cannon" on a tank?

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
"Cannon" "turret" not sure what the exact term is, but who inside the tank controls it and how is it control?
I just saw a pic of a tank moving along on the street and the thing was moving around very quickly. I thought it
takes a while when moving 360 degrees.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
the gunner does, he get orders from the tank commander
the M1 has four crew members, the driver, commandor, the loader and the gunner
note once the main cannon is locked on a target it will followed it by it's self, even if the tank and target are moving
it can track two moving targets
well maybe the commander controls the turret? maybe a tanker here can tell us

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Did you watch the same video clip of the British Challenger tank that I just saw?

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Did you watch the same video clip of the British Challenger tank that I just saw?

not sure, but it showed the tank driving along the street and moving the cannon back and forth. im watching msnbc

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I can't speak to modern tanks, but in Viet Nam they had a crew of four, as noted above. The gunner aimed the gun using two joysticks. Range finding was done through a device that gave you two images. When you got both images combined into one, you were pretty close to the proper range. There was a trigger or button on each joystick for firing. Both buttons had to be depressed to fire the gun.

I wasn't a tanker so I can't tell you the model of tank. They were old even then. As an FO I occasionally did target acquisiton for tanks in the vicinity. One day a tank commander asked If I'd like to make the shot. Hell Yeah!

BTW, they didn't have air conditioning.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
I think it depends on how you look at it. unsure some of my ex co workers,freinds are were/are tankers they have train troops on how to operate the M1's I have dealt more with making the tanks than actually operating them.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Microsoft Windows M1A1 V2.1 - drivers are optional, but Creatives are as good, or as bad as those provided by ATI.