Who bought/is buying a Radeon RX 480?

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Considered it, then saw it was 11.5" long. Can't do it without ditching my case and rethinking my entire water loop.

Sounds like a solid $270 worth of video card, but at the end of the day I'd be in for at least $450 plus a bunch of drilling and replumbing.

I'll ditch my good old Antec P160 come the next generation of stuff. For now my 380 is holding up pretty damned well.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Considered it, then saw it was 11.5" long. Can't do it without ditching my case and rethinking my entire water loop.

Sounds like a solid $270 worth of video card, but at the end of the day I'd be in for at least $450 plus a bunch of drilling and replumbing.

I'll ditch my good old Antec P160 come the next generation of stuff. For now my 380 is holding up pretty damned well.
I'm not sure what post your referring to with this comment without going back into the thread but the 480 isn't long at all. A good chunk of its length is cooler shroud overhang, it's probably within an inch of the Nano once that is removed for a waterblock.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
I'm not sure what post your referring to with this comment without going back into the thread but the 480 isn't long at all. A good chunk of its length is cooler shroud overhang, it's probably within an inch of the Nano once that is removed for a waterblock.

Yeah, I have more homework to do. I wouldn't really be back into this marketplace had my old 19*12 display not recently kicked the bucket.

(And I don't even game that heavily anymore; but when I do, I don't want it to be all janky.)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So, not that impressed with my new Sapphire Nitro, noise wise. I'm using Sapphires TriX beta program. The auto settings has the fan turned off until 50C or so it appears. It should just keep it at 500-600 rpm all the time, prevent the card getting beyond 35-40C. Overall its quieter (than the sapphire 7870 it replaced) but at full load (which it hit in BF 1 beta) it topped out at 76C at around 40%-60% fan speed on average.

Also, anyone noticed an odd sound (gears changing) from the card when manually setting the fan curve?

Why do you feel the card needs to idle at such low temps?

As for load noise, I undervolted mine, runs significantly quieter now.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Why not? Its not as if the fans make noise spinning at 500-600rpm. I'll have to try undervolting mine.

ultima_trev

Nov 4, 2015
Today I pulled the trigger on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming RX 480. My PCS R9 390's thermal paste degraded to the point where temperatures were consistently in the 90-94C range and the clocks throttled down from the stock 1,010 MHz to 800ish. I've always had good luck with Gigabyte products and needless to say, a 1,290 MHz GCN4 card will feel much faster than an 800 MHz GCN2 card.

Reactions: guachi

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Today I pulled the trigger on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming RX 480. My PCS R9 390's thermal paste degraded to the point where temperatures were consistently in the 90-94C range and the clocks throttled down from the stock 1,010 MHz to 800ish. I've always had good luck with Gigabyte products and needless to say, a 1,290 MHz GCN4 card will feel much faster than an 800 MHz GCN2 card.

Make sure to RMA that 390, should be under warranty.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Via Reddit, a look at the Gigabyte RX 480 G1's PCB

http://lab501.ro/placi-video/review-gigabyte-radeon-rx-480-g1-gaming-8g/5

I could cool that...

From your previous post, I'm assuming you're wanting to watercool the 480 correct?
One of my posts earlier in this thread shows the length of the reference 480 with the shroud removed. Mini-ITX is 6.7", so eyeballing the 480, it's about 7.0" on the money. Not going to try to talk you out of the custom Gigabyte, but be sure there are actually waterblocks available for it first, and it's definitely longer than the reference by a good ways.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Latest batch of RX 480 cards:
IMG_0861_zpst2oewmi6.jpg

Reactions: RussianSensation

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Had to return my sapphire 480 nitro, but I may try my luck with an MSI... with the custom cooler

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
FYI bought 4 480 Nitro's. Flashed them with a mining ROM, undervolted with Trixx to 70 - 72W according GPU-Z. Mining away at 29.4Mh each. Nice quality cards but the MSI Gaming X is still better overall for cooling and quiet under loads.

Reactions: RussianSensation

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
From your previous post, I'm assuming you're wanting to watercool the 480 correct?
One of my posts earlier in this thread shows the length of the reference 480 with the shroud removed. Mini-ITX is 6.7", so eyeballing the 480, it's about 7.0" on the money. Not going to try to talk you out of the custom Gigabyte, but be sure there are actually waterblocks available for it first, and it's definitely longer than the reference by a good ways.

Actually, I'm an idiot. I thought the Sapphire card was 11.5" long because I was reading a description of the box that it comes in; not the actual card. The actual card is 240mm (a bit shy of 9 1/2") long. No problem for my setup.

Also, waterblocks, no problem. I only watercool the GPU, and heatsink/spotcool everything else. Already verified that my universal GPU block will fit. AMD still hasn't changed the boltholes in 10 years, and the GPU slab is about the same size as the 380's.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Very nice. I was looking for a review that took the heatsink off and provide a bit more details.

I just figured out it is Romanian.

Well, bad news... I picked one of them up, but it's going right back... it hard locks within 30 seconds - 2 minutes of gaming, and I'm not the only one having this problem with the Gigabyte card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

(neither one of those 2 current reviews are from me)

Not to spread FUD... I trust Gigabyte well enough to engineer a PCB, but perhaps this product needs to mature a little?

Now that I know the Sapphire is still viable for my space limitations, I should have one in hand tomorrow.

And sorry for the double post -- still not sure how to work multiquote properly.

ultima_trev

Nov 4, 2015
Just got my Gigabyte G1 Gaming RX 480. I always thought the Windforce cooler was a cut above the rest, and this one proved to be the best iteration yet.

After playing with voltages, OCs and running Fire Strike/Time Spy, I have to say the RX 480 is a much better video card that people give it credit for. Yes, while performance of my RX 480 (1316 core) was probably only about 5% faster than my R9 390 (1100 core) at best, it does so drawing half the power at load, runs 15 centigrade cooler AND thanks to this brillient Windforce cooler, I've never seen fans exceed 55% AND in whisper silence (contrary to my PCS 390 sounding like a jet engine).

Kudos to AMD and Gigabyte for getting it right!

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
Well, bad news... I picked one of them up, but it's going right back... it hard locks within 30 seconds - 2 minutes of gaming, and I'm not the only one having this problem with the Gigabyte card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

(neither one of those 2 current reviews are from me)

Not to spread FUD... I trust Gigabyte well enough to engineer a PCB, but perhaps this product needs to mature a little?

Now that I know the Sapphire is still viable for my space limitations, I should have one in hand tomorrow.

And sorry for the double post -- still not sure how to work multiquote properly.

Oh, i am not to concerned about that.
Manufacturing gfx cards, it is a high volume production process. You probably received a dud. It happens. It is no fun, and i would be having a bad day too if it happened to me.
If there are a significant amount of cards defective from the same manufacturer and line, relative to the produced amount, then it becomes another story.
This is hopefully just a ppm story which is all to common.
The only thing to worry about is that your MB did not get damaged.

May 11, 2008
I should also note, that ESD damage is usually not taken into account by everyday people and it is not impossible that some of the people on amazon blew up their card simply by esd discharges while handling their card and pc cabinet.