Who are your ideal candidates for 2012?

AreaCode7O7

Mar 6, 2005
Politicians who are interested in the next round will be starting to think and plan and position themselves now. Who's your pick? Is there anything you can do now to help line your candidates up or support your incumbents?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Make sure you pick a throw-away candidate like McSame.

The GOP needs to save their real 'ace' for 2016.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
too early for any real certainty, but I'd expect the GOP primary to involve a show-down between Crist, Sanford, and Jindal -- that is, depending on how President Obama is doing.

if 2012 is looking like another '96, the GOP might throw out a sacrificial lamb and save their A-game for 2016.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
Politicians who are interested in the next round will be starting to think and plan and position themselves now. Who's your pick? Is there anything you can do now to help line your candidates up or support your incumbents?

President/VP: Obama/Biden
Senate: Get rid of Mitch McConnell & Ted Stevens
House: Leaders on both sides of the aisle who can work together and with the white house.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

House: Leaders on both sides of the aisle who can work together and with the white house.

Stevens won't be up for reelection until 2014... more to the point, can he actually serve in the senate as a convicted felon or will he resign after being elected and let the governor chose his replacement? (assuming that's how it works in Alaska)

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
If it looks like it will be a good year to challenge Obama, I think Crist will throw his hat in. He's too socially conservative for my tastes but even so I can't help but like the guy.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
My analysis of the Stevens race:

The GOP told him to run, so they have time to find a replacement to run in his place in the special election that will undoubtedly happen.

Stevens is not keeping his seat. His conviction will be upheld. He will resign. If he doesn't, Congress will force him to.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

Stevens won't be up for reelection until 2014... more to the point, can he actually serve in the senate as a convicted felon or will he resign after being elected and let the governor chose his replacement? (assuming that's how it works in Alaska)

He can serve but not vote in any election from what I have read.

Jpeytons post above appears to make sense as, if convicted, he would be a huge liability for the GOP.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Crist would be very hard to beat as Gov of FL.

Crist with someone like Jindal or another minority as his VP.

And don't count out Palin either, 4 years is a LONG LONG time and she can easily fix her perception issues.

Remember after Biden left the Dem race in 88? over the plagiarism thing people thought he would never be able to run at that level again.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
And don't count out Palin either, 4 years is a LONG LONG time and she can easily fix her perception issues.

:laugh: LOL

Come on!

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
As much as I disagree with Jindal's positions I think the GOP would be better served with him on the national stage as a nominee in the future. His race has nothing to do with me saying that, in light of Obama's success, he is just a smart and well-spoken individual who could appeal to independent voters while also maintaining a stranglehold on the base.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Farang
As much as I disagree with Jindal's positions I think the GOP would be better served with him on the national stage as a nominee in the future. His race has nothing to do with me saying that, in light of Obama's success, he is just a smart and well-spoken individual who could appeal to independent voters while also maintaining a stranglehold on the base.

the whole Bobby Jindal, Exorcist at Large could be a major problem, though.