Whitman insists EPA didn't lie on 9/11 air

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Whitman insists EPA didn't lie on 9/11 air

The EPA was ordered by the White House to make statements that the air in lower Manhattan was safe when they had no data to support that claim. Yet Whitman can't recongize that as a lie.

The EPA inspector general found "that the agency's immediate public announcements after the collapse of the Trade Center that the air was safe to breathe were made without sufficient supporting evidence."

Excerpts:

"At the same time, while acknowledging that some of those reassurances came at the direction of the White House, she said her agency was never told to lie about the air quality."

"At the time, there were still no air monitoring data available for many of the particulates and polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, that were present in the dust plume that darkened the skies over New York City. Studies have since concluded that the airborne dust from the collapsed towers contained a complex mixture of asbestos, lead, glass fibers and concrete. The dust blanketed Lower Manhattan and was blown into many surrounding office buildings, schools and apartments."

"Investigators for the inspector general's office also found that the White House influenced the information the EPA was communicating to the public -- convincing the agency to "add reassuring statements and delete cautionary ones." In fact, top EPA officials were instructed that all statements to the media needed to be cleared through the National Security Council.

The inspector general noted that even a year after the attacks, a draft evaluation by the EPA concluded that after the first few days, ambient air levels were unlikely to affect the health of the public.

"However, because of numerous uncertainties -- including the extent of the public's exposure and a lack of health-based benchmarks -- a definitive answer to whether the air was safe to breathe may not be settled for years to come," said the inspector general."

Link

If this isn't lying what exactly do these people consider a lie?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SViscusi
Originally posted by: BOBDN

I did not have sexual relations with that woman

WTF does that have to do with the Bush administration lying about the air in lower Manhattan after 9/11?

For god's sake take the Clinton training wheels off.

You people are so hung up on Clinton you probably wish you had a stain on your dress.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Translation: It's OK for Bush to lie, 'cause Clinton lied. Retarded logic.
rolleye.gif

Jan 12, 2003

WTF does that have to do with the Bush administration lying about the air in lower Manhattan after 9/11?

For god's sake take the Clinton training wheels off.

You people are so hung up on Clinton you probably wish you had a stain on your dress.

How many times are you going to use that nonsense? Why not come up with a new one, like:

You people are so hung up on 'Bush' you probably wish you had a vagina and a lick-er licence.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

rolleye.gif

Retarded Monkey. Clinton got off the hook w/o even a slap on the wrist, so that must mean that it's ok for Clinton to lie. However, Democrats are now saying that Bush can't lie? Also, it's funny how you automatically accept an article that says that Bush lied, however, when an article comes out to refute that, you don't believe it. Funny how the Democrat's mind works.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: XZeroII

rolleye.gif

Retarded Monkey. Clinton got off the hook w/o even a slap on the wrist, so that must mean that it's ok for Clinton to lie. However, Democrats are now saying that Bush can't lie? Also, it's funny how you automatically accept an article that says that Bush lied, however, when an article comes out to refute that, you don't believe it. Funny how the Democrat's mind works.

Impeachment is a slap on the wrist?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

rolleye.gif

The Republicans spent $64 million taxpayer dollars on an eight year witch hunt which wound up with them crawling around under Clinton's bed putting our nation threw the embarassment of an impeachment based on a lie about consentual relations between two consenting adults.

Bush's lies are a little more serious than that. They have to do with, in this thread, lying to people about health hazards they were directly exposed to, and in other threads lying about the threat posed by a foreign nation in order to invade and occupy that nation at the cost of the lives of American troops, innocent Iraqi civilians as well as an estimated $100 BILLION.

How can anyone even dare to compare the two?

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000

Okay first cut down on the caffeine. Second I was just answering his question, I don't necessarily agree with it.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

I don't know why you insist on bringing up Clinton when this thread isn't about him. To answer your question though -- NO, I don't think it's OK for ANYONE to lie. Clinton, Bush or the EPA. I don't see why you can't stay on topic other than the fact that you feel your weak comparison to Clinton somehow exonerates the Bush Administration. Which it doesn't. The EPA admitted in previous weeks that they reassured the public about post-9/11 Manhattan air quality, despite having no substantial evidence to support the fact the air was OK to breathe. What else do you want to call it? You want to spin this too? Just like every other piece of BS coming out of the administration since day one?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Okay first cut down on the caffeine. Second I was just answering his question, I don't necessarily agree with it.

OK SViscusi. Didn't mean to fly off the handle. I'm just sick and tired of people always relating Bush's mistakes back to Clinton.

And I don't drink caffeinated beverages any more since I started getting migraines.

This is me without caffeine. :D