Whites Win!!!:7 white Atlanta Librarians win racial discrimination suit, were demoted because they were white

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-8-2004 Atlanta - 7 white Librarians that filed a suit that they were discriminated against with job demotions because they are white won today. Their Lawyer was former State Attorney General Mike Bowers. DeKalb County Attorney General J Tom Morgan just left his position a year early to join Mike Bowers Law Firm. (Mike Bowers was going to represent my case if I had not already gotten David Joyner)

Recordings on tape by Black dominated Library Board: "There is too many whites, that is distressing to see for our Black patrons". 7 white Librarians were demoted to lesser positions after the meetings. A Black Librarian even spoke out against the discrimination and she was then disciplined.

Fulton County settles $18 million bias suit by librarians

The librarians sued in 2000 after seven of them said they were demoted and moved to outlying branches and a black employee was punished for speaking up against the transfers.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
What I noticed immediately was this news releases comparison of the prize amount to the library's annual operating budget. Was this insinuating that this was a spurious lawsuit, or one that was detrimental to the library's functioning? Or was it just flatly comparing the size of the award to the size of the settlement?

I'm not usually one to claim bias in media, but if that sort of comparison is not usually shared in news releases of court settlements, that does mark an incredible bias to me.

Cheers!
Nate

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Orsorum
What I noticed immediately was this news releases comparison of the prize amount to the library's annual operating budget. Was this insinuating that this was a spurious lawsuit, or one that was detrimental to the library's functioning? Or was it just flatly comparing the size of the award to the size of the settlement?

I'm not usually one to claim bias in media, but if that sort of comparison is not usually shared in news releases of court settlements, that does mark an incredible bias to me.

Cheers!
Nate

Excellent observation Ors, it couldn't be because most of the Media in Atlanta is Black Management, could it? :Q

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Cheers!
Nate

Excellent observation Ors, it couldn't be because most of the Media in Atlanta is Black Management, could it? :Q
Those Darn Uppity Negroes
rolleye.gif

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Cheers!
Nate

rolleye.gif

Have you ever been to Atlanta???

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Cheers!
Nate

rolleye.gif

No. Have you ever dealt with reality?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Cheers!
Nate

rolleye.gif

They were caught on tape RD. You wouldn't happen to be a Black Executive now would you?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Cheers!
Nate

rolleye.gif

They were caught on tape RD. You wouldn't happen to be a Black Executive now would you?
Ho De Do!

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002

Cheers!
Nate

rolleye.gif

Ho De Do!

I hate it when people use the whole "Race" issue to their advantage.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

The public school system in Georgia is rife with this. White principles and teachers are being removed through racially-motivated petty politics, often times being replaced with black candidates with little or no experience. I was dismayed to see that a private graduation party which invited only whites make headlines, yet this cleansing of all that which is not black from administration positions in Georgia's public schools isn't brought up at all, save by local newspapers in the region.

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: kage69

The public school system in Georgia is rife with this. White principles and teachers are being removed through racially-motivated petty politics, often times being replaced with black candidates with little or no experience. I was dismayed to see that a private graduation party which invited only whites make headlines, yet this cleansing of all that which is not black from administration positions in Georgia's public schools isn't brought up at all, save by local newspapers in the region.

Nah, it goes both ways. If you've ever been to rural Georgia schools, whites are very much in control of those schools. Even in schools with fairly large black populations. It usually only in schools that are large cities and/or have a overwhelming number of minority students (%90 or greater).

DanceMan

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: DanceMan

Nah, it goes both ways. If you've ever been to rural Georgia schools, whites are very much in control of those schools. Even in schools with fairly large black populations. It usually only in schools that are large cities and/or have a overwhelming number of minority students (%90 or greater).

DanceMan
What happens both ways DM? Discrimination? Sure. But your example doesn't prove anything. The people in positions of power at that library decided that because those librarians were white they somehow bothered their black patrons, or otherwise gave them substandard service. It doesn't make sense that if whites were in control of a mostly black school in Georgia that they would somehow conspire to keep whites in positions of control and teaching while keeping "the negroes" out. Maybe they're just blanket racists, but I have a hard time believing that an entire school board would be controlled by conspiring racists in a school that is so overwhelmingly minority.

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Ilmater
Originally posted by: DanceMan

DanceMan
What happens both ways DM? Discrimination? Sure. But your example doesn't prove anything. The people in positions of power at that library decided that because those librarians were white they somehow bothered their black patrons, or otherwise gave them substandard service. It doesn't make sense that if whites were in control of a mostly black school in Georgia that they would somehow conspire to keep whites in positions of control and teaching while keeping "the negroes" out. Maybe they're just blanket racists, but I have a hard time believing that an entire school board would be controlled by conspiring racists in a school that is so overwhelmingly minority.

Edit: Actually my last sentence was incomplete. it should read:

"It usually only in schools that are large cities and/or have a overwhelming number of minority students (%90 or greater) that have a majority of the board, principals, and teachers who are also minorities." That may help you better understand my original response.

Yes, my point is that discrimination goes both ways. And, you need to believe that entire school boards can discriminate. There was a case of this on 60 Minutes a couple of years ago about how a new superintendent of a North Georgia School District exposed such discrimination. Also, for a non-school, corporate world example, look at the Texaco discrimination case. And for the few that we do see, there are many that we don't see.

Also, it's important to note that groups on both racial sides don't see themselves as 'racist'. None (or at least any sane ones) would say they are blanket racists. However, many do discriminate, and because of peer pressure, many don't speak up. But, it was good to note that there was a Black librarian who did, and I think that was a very tough thing to do. How many of us have witnessed discrimination and would have done what she did? I think very few of us.

All of this was in reply to the feeling that I got from your reply that you believe blacks are more racist than whites. It is my contention that we are all as biased as anybody else. What you want to do about it is more important.

DanceMan

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
If blacks sued for the same reason they would have been awarded much less than 1/2 of the $18 million awarded to these white librarians.

Ok someone had to go there. :p;)

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: jjsole
If blacks sued for the same reason they would have been awarded much less than 1/2 of the $18 million awarded to these white librarians.

Ok someone had to go there. :p;)

Well that only fair the award should be based on pay and blacks are paid only 50% of what whites are paid for the exact same job.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Cheers!
Nate

I agree with you. They made it sound like these victims were robbing both the library district and the city.

Of course I do think this is aweful high too, but has no place in journalism. I wonder if the AP wrote the same type of story when Blacks grifted texaco and dennys for BILLIONS not millions? The jury system is broken.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
There really aren't that many whites in Atlanta. After they got rid of those 7 were there ANY left?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: glugglug
There really aren't that many whites in Atlanta. After they got rid of those 7 were there ANY left?

Interesting you bring that up. Although Atlanta is still not a real city and not likely to ever be in the foreseeable future, there wasn't many people that actually lived in the heart of the city itself. It was mainly just Office buildings and everyone commuted into the city. Well the traffic got so bad there is a lot of people actually moving into the city as they convert old Hotels into Apartments and building new apartments like mad. Anyway a lot of white folk are populating the city now.