White students called a 10-year-old black girl the N-word as they beat her up on a bus

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
To be honest, the girl should be punished severely for trying to incite racial tensions with the false accusation. Leveling a false accusation like this, especially at a time like this is terrible and severely damaging to the real racial issues that plague minorities today. Just like false rape accusations should be a crime, false hate crime accusations should be one too. Now since the girl is a minor, it is not a crime but severe punishment should still be dealt out.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
To be honest, the girl should be punished severely for trying to incite racial tensions with the false accusation. Leveling a false accusation like this, especially at a time like this is terrible and severely damaging to the real racial issues that plague minorities today. Just like false rape accusations should be a crime, false hate crime accusations should be one too. Now since the girl is a minor, it is not a crime but severe punishment should still be dealt out.

While that story was another story .. the point remains. To me its a numbers game. just cause you are in a demographic that is getting targeted by some sort of bigotry does not make you immune to the inherent human traits that make you fallible. So for every hundred kids that is subjected to bullying, one of them will do something stupid and lie about it... Just like every other homo sapiens on planet earth. Some people will like to point at this and claim "leftish double morals of today" and so on... which to me communicates the fact that they have not had an original thought on their own at all (maybe never): "but Jussie did..." "dems are the real racists of today" .. so on and so forth.
One do not negate the other.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

I think it's better we educate her why what she did was wrong with compassion and love. And that we identify what, if anything, in her upbringing may have led to her pulling such a stunt. Severely punishing a 10-year-old is more likely to create a hateful, marginalized adult, which society already has enough of.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think it's better we educate her why what she did was wrong with compassion and love. And that we identify what, if anything, in her upbringing may have led to her pulling such a stunt. Severely punishing a 10-year-old is more likely to create a hateful, marginalized adult, which society already has enough of.

She's 12, not 10. You may be confusing two different cases. The OP's article was about an incident on a bus involving a 10 year old victim. That incident isn't really in dispute as it was captured on video. The 12 year old is a different case which seems to have been imported into this thread because the CNN article has a link to this other case as a "related article."

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I'm curious, what do you think the severe punishment should consist of?

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
She's 12, not 10. You may be confusing two different cases. The OP's article was about an incident on a bus involving a 10 year old victim. That incident isn't really in dispute as it was captured on video. The 12 year old is a different case which seems to have been imported into this thread because the CNN article has a link to this other case as a "related article."
None of them deserve "severe punishment" as that rarely works. The children who attacked the other child need a more harsh punishment compared to the girl who made up the hair-cutting story, because we need to protect society from those who would hurt others.

Overall, our goal in any punishment should be to retrain and positively influence youth and adult members of society so they can return to law-abiding, self-supporting, contributing member status. Demanding a pound of flesh for revenge rarely results in anything positive, and usually only further marginalizes the punished individual.

I'm all in favor of harsh punishments, long prison terms and even the death penalty for those who refuse to play nice with society, but only after we've done our best to nurture, educate, instruct, cajole, threaten and forcibly shove them down the path of good citizen first.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
None of them deserve "severe punishment" as that rarely works. The children who attacked the other child need a more harsh punishment compared to the girl who made up the hair-cutting story, because we need to protect society from those who would hurt others.

Overall, our goal in any punishment should be to retrain and positively influence youth and adult members of society so they can return to law-abiding, self-supporting, contributing member status. Demanding a pound of flesh for revenge rarely results in anything positive, and usually only further marginalizes the punished individual.

I'm all in favor of harsh punishments, long prison terms and even the death penalty for those who refuse to play nice with society, but only after we've done our best to nurture, educate, instruct, cajole, threaten and forcibly shove them down the path of good citizen first.

I agree and that’s a good way to approach it. And we should remember that we are talking about children still. Adult politics has infiltrated the discussion but it’s very important to keep in perspective that they are 10 and 12 years old.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

That's true, but if the real source of their racism was their parents, I don't think any approach is going to work. Whatever it is would have to be addressed to the parents, and I don't see how that can be done.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

severe punishment does work, but not in the way intended, it usually start a long slide down to those subject to it.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
I'm curious, what do you think the severe punishment should consist of?

The girl and her parents or guardians should serve mandatory community service for at least a week or more. They should also take classes about the racial divide and the harm that such lies can bring to the community. The problem with what the girl did is that it isn't a simple lie due to the times we live in. The shitty media will always pick these things up and run away with it, inflaming the community further because it brings ratings to their channel or sites. This leads to a cascading effect not only in that community but also in the nation as news gets picked up and carried even further.

Nov 8, 2012

It's really fucking simple - When you're told that you are a victim, you will naturally do whatever it takes to convince yourself and others that you are oppressed when reality proves otherwise.

Punishment for lying about crimes should be harsher than the crime itself in many cases otherwise lessons won't be learned.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The girl and her parents or guardians should serve mandatory community service for at least a week or more. They should also take classes about the racial divide and the harm that such lies can bring to the community. The problem with what the girl did is that it isn't a simple lie due to the times we live in. The shitty media will always pick these things up and run away with it, inflaming the community further because it brings ratings to their channel or sites. This leads to a cascading effect not only in that community but also in the nation as news gets picked up and carried even further.

Thanks for humoring me. I'm not sure her parents were involved in her decision, if it can be proved they persuaded / influenced the false accusation, then include them. Compared to the OP, where the children assault another student repeatedly while hurling racial slurs at her....that behavior is learned from somewhere, but same goes as my first statement.

I think educating a 12 YO black girl about the racial divide in this country is closely akin to beating a dead horse(obviously this is my speculation), although I'm not opposed to it.

As opposed to the OP, violent assaults would render more severe punishments.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
That's true, but if the real source of their racism was their parents, I don't think any approach is going to work. Whatever it is would have to be addressed to the parents, and I don't see how that can be done.
Agreed. Society always has it's work cut out for it when hateful, racist, anti-science, misogynistic or other wrong-headed thinking is passed down by ignorant parents. We have a much better chance of teaching children to be good citizens, but it is harder with the adults.

In this case, if it was the parents who taught those young ladies to hate on a black girl on the bus, we need to hold the parents accountable for the damage and legal torts of their children. If racist mom and/or dad gets a hefty fine for their daughter's hate crime, then maybe they will think twice about what they teach her. That may or may not change the hate in their hearts, but it just might stop them from so openly expressing it. And eventually they will die.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's really fucking simple - When you're told that you are a victim, you will naturally do whatever it takes to convince yourself and others that you are oppressed when reality proves otherwise.

yea, look no further than religious nutters in America for proof.

Punishment for lying about crimes should be harsher than the crime itself in many cases otherwise lessons won't be learned.

That may make sense to you up front, but it will prove out to be the opposite IMO. There should be consequences for lying about crimes, and consequences should be considered case by case.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Thanks for humoring me. I'm not sure her parents were involved in her decision, if it can be proved they persuaded / influenced the false accusation, then include them. Compared to the OP, where the children assault another student repeatedly while hurling racial slurs at her....that behavior is learned from somewhere, but same goes as my first statement.

I think educating a 12 YO black girl about the racial divide in this country is closely akin to beating a dead horse(obviously this is my speculation), although I'm not opposed to it.

As opposed to the OP, violent assaults would render more severe punishments.

For a child, parents are always involved in my opinion. It has to do with what they are teaching at home and how much time they are spending with their children. I agree violent assaults are on another scale but I do not believe lies about racism is the same as other stupid lies that 12 year olds tell at that age. To me, for her to pull the race card, it must be something she has picked up from either her friends, her parents, or what she has been seeing on media and social media. Which I believe leads to parenting, too many parents are not parenting properly these days. Most I see, unfortunately, just shove an iPad in front of their kids faces like a fire and forget parenting weapon, and leave them alone. This lets them soak in whatever the kids want without any safeguards.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
For a child, parents are always involved in my opinion. It has to do with what they are teaching at home and how much time they are spending with their children. I agree violent assaults are on another scale but I do not believe lies about racism is the same as other stupid lies that 12 year olds tell at that age. To me, for her to pull the race card, it must be something she has picked up from either her friends, her parents, or what she has been seeing on media and social media. Which I believe leads to parenting, too many parents are not parenting properly these days. Most I see, unfortunately, just shove an iPad in front of their kids faces like a fire and forget parenting weapon, and leave them alone. This lets them soak in whatever the kids want without any safeguards.

We could discuss the topic of parental influence probably quite a bit. I'll say this: I have two kids, both very different, one of them I would accept your opinion as pretty close, the other....no idea where he gets his ideas (it's not really from the internet afaik), hes been a very strong willed person his entire life. You combine that with the stupidity of a child and shit gets real, very fast.