Question White Screen on MacBook Pro (Early 2010's)

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I have a MacBook Pro, probably from the early 2010's, that boots into a white screen.

I have tried the following to resolve the issue:

1. No peripherals plugged in - still shows white screen;
2. Boot into Safe Mode - still shows white screen;
3. Reset PRAM - Does the double boot thing, but still shows white screen;
4. Boot into Verbose Mode - still shows white screen;
5. Boot into Target Disk Mode - shows white screen, but drive does not show up on other Mac;
6. Open up the bottom, unplug the battery and hard drive, and reseat the RAM - still shows white screen;
7. [EDIT] Tried an external monitor - the external monitor remains black, the MacBook shows white screen.

Is there anything else I can try, or is it a lost cause?
If it is a lost cause, what went bad?

Thanks.

MotionMan

Last edited:

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Have you tried connecting an external monitor? Could be that the display ribbon cable has frayed or come loose.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
You re-seated the RAM but did you straight up remove it? Remove both sticks, see if you get better than a white screen, if yes, re-seat DIMM A, then try DIMM B.

Honestly I'm leaning toward logic board failure. Maybe the GPU flaked out (more likely than CPU).

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
You re-seated the RAM but did you straight up remove it? Remove both sticks, see if you get better than a white screen, if yes, re-seat DIMM A, then try DIMM B.

Honestly I'm leaning toward logic board failure. Maybe the GPU flaked out (more likely than CPU).

Yes, I completely removed both sticks, tried one, and then the other.

No joy.

MotionMan

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
I have something similar (its been three years now since it happened).

If I go to an Apple Store after Corona Virus will they be able to recover the harddrive for me?

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
I have something similar (its been three years now since it happened).

If I go to an Apple Store after Corona Virus will they be able to recover the harddrive for me?
Almost certainly, but what year is your MacBook? Depending on its age, you could get an external adapter to plug the drive into and if you use Paragon on Windows (or use another Mac) youd be able to get the data off that way.

Reactions: JJChicken

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Almost certainly, but what year is your MacBook? Depending on its age, you could get an external adapter to plug the drive into and if you use Paragon on Windows (or use another Mac) youd be able to get the data off that way.

Many thanks. It is from 2010-2011 (a great era for Macbooks but I also very much like the current MBAs).

I will take it to them. I don’t want to risk anything as it had 1000s of rare songs that I shouldve backed up but didnt.