White Noise trashes legal copying of your music cd's

Soulgirl

Banned
Jul 10, 2001
Even today there is nothing illegal in copying your own bought cd's, records etc and recording them as either a back up of for additional copies for your car etc... this is about to change.

I read with interest today an article in The Times (UK) that reported a new era in CD recording. Apparently they are now able to encode the tracks with blasts of white noise and hissing should the cd be copied. The technology does not affect the original recording, only that of a copied version.

I wonder if this would affect the recordings if you changed the format to MP3? This will also affect the file-sharing monsters such as Morpheus, Limewire and Napster etc... ok, so Napsters not such a monster anymore.... Would this also affect the copying to your hard drives... which is where I keep all of mine - all 8500! We shall have to wait and see. Does anyone else have a theory on this?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Good old ECM, first the military then traffic and radar and now music. What next?

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
You can always just record the output as well, there'll be a way to do it sooner or later

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
the recording industry is rather nazi-ish these days.... consumers should stand up to them.... but we are all sheep here in USA...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I can sum it up in two words - bull sh!t.

If they want to do something like this, offer two versions of the CD. One with the protection for $5, and one without for $12.

If you really want to have two copies, then you can buy two copy protected ones for less than the price of one non-protected one.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999

<< Good old ECM, first the military then traffic and radar and now music. What next? >>

they'll find a way to adapt electronic counter-measures to control sex...you watch...the govt will find a way...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yea but then if you didn't want to copy it, why would you spend the extra money?

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
It's so stupid to even try to protect music on a CD from being copied. In two steps you can defeat every possible protection:

Digital > Analog > Digital.

It requires just one cable and a good audio installation.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

<< Yea but then if you didn't want to copy it, why would you spend the extra money? >>

Not sure what you are getting at here. If you had no intentions of copying the CD, then you'd buy the $5 cd and be happy.

If you did want to copy it, buy the $12 cd. Think of the extra $7 you pay as an &quot;tax&quot; on your ability to copy. Companies have proposed putting a &quot;tax&quot; on CD burners and CDR media to help offset the costs that they would loose to retail sales because of the ability to copy software.

Actually, I think that some CDR suppliers are already doing this. You ever wonder why &quot;Audio&quot; CDR's cost so much? There's a &quot;tax&quot; built into the cost as a kickback to the RIAA for costs associated with pirating music.

Soulgirl

Banned
Jul 10, 2001
Consider this peeps, the average cost of a cd in the UK is around £17... thats about $15... the prices here are ludicrous.. jusst like our petrol at 79p per litre!

Mind you, the digital, analogue, digital methods looks like an idea.. I will bear that in mind..

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
What do you mean audio cdr's? Aren't all cdr's capable of recording audio?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
ratkil, go to a best buy and peruse the CDR rack. You should see some CDR's there earmarked 'Audio' Cdrs. Look at the price. They will be about double what any other CDR goes for.

I remember reading that this was some thing done to satisfy the RIAA or an individual recording lable. The extra price is there to make up for any &quot;loss&quot; incorporated with pirating.

Sigity

Jan 29, 2001
ratkil.

the audio cdrs are the ones that you use in standalone cd recorders. Ever see those phillips commercials where they copy cds in standalone recorders? To get these to work, you need audio cds.

that is why these things are largely unpopular-most people would rather just buy a burner for their computer and record cd's that way.

sig.

Soulgirl

Banned
Jul 10, 2001
This is not entirely true when speaking about Audio cdr's... In fact, Nero Burning Rom converts to any file format you ask it to! I use cd's that cost me $15 for 100 and they work fine in my pc, normal cd player, dvd player (sound only of course) and my mp3 player in my car!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm curious how exactly this technology is supposed to work without support from the software being used supporting it. When you make a copy of a digital file, it's an exact duplicate. Either the program writing the CDR or the device that played the CDR back would have to recognize that it's a CDR and not an original.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The ONLY difference between a standard CD-r and an Audio CD-r is the &quot;tax&quot; paid to a recording company because they KNOW you are going to use it for piracy.

You'll NEVER use it for original music or live recordings, or music that you own.

So if I make a copy using a music CD-r that has already paid the recording company, shouldn't I be able to copy any music CD and use it in any way since the recording company has been compensated? It wouldn't be piracy if the recording company has been compensated :D

Bulldog7000

Dec 18, 1999

<< It's so stupid to even try to protect music on a CD from being copied. In two steps you can defeat every possible protection:

Digital > Analog > Digital.

It requires just one cable and a good audio installation.
>>

GOOD CALL ELLEDAN!!!!

That's how I'd do it.

BDOG

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Digital -> analog -> digital Just seems very time consuming and annoying to me.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
I would just love to see the purchase percentage numbers on those cd marked as Audio lol

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000

<< Digital -> analog -> digital Just seems very time consuming and annoying to me. >>

It's just as time consuming as playing the whole CD once, after which you compress all songs into .mp3's.

So far it's the best and most failsafe way to copy a 'protected' CD, provided that you're using a very good audio-installation, so that interference is limited to a minimum.

Soulgirl

Banned
Jul 10, 2001

<<

<< Digital -> analog -> digital Just seems very time consuming and annoying to me. >>

It's just as time consuming as playing the whole CD once, after which you compress all songs into .mp3's.

So far it's the best and most failsafe way to copy a 'protected' CD, provided that you're using a very good audio-installation, so that interference is limited to a minimum.
>>

so, are you saying that by recording in a different format will eliminate the security they have developed? If that is so, then all we need to do is record to HD in mp3 and re-record to CD on Audio or MWAV?

Karen x

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
No, I mean that you're basically recording the output signal of the CD-player. Soundboxes use analog signals, which can instead be recorded again, so that any trace of the protection is gone.

CD-player > output signal > input soundcard > record on HD > encode to mp3.

That's all.