White lady confronts white lady for harassing hispanic ladies for the crime of speaking in spanish

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Good the moron was arrested. I work for a French company in denver and get a lot of french speakers visiting the office. I bet that moron would NOT confront them for speaking French.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
i have always thought it was weird that us as Americans think everyone here should speak English. When we travel to others countries we speak their lang.... Oh no, we expect them to speak English.

Reactions: Homerboy and Oyeve

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
While I personally don't care if someone speaks another language, it really isn't so far fetched to want people to assimilate to the country vs. expecting the country to mold to your wants. Remember when the Dem's used to be the party of ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country? Now the Dem's are the party of give me free stuff and make the tax payers pay for English as a second language classes.

The bold lack of self-reflection that it takes for such a profoundly obvious sock puppet to quote Kennedy's words as if they are somehow analogous to what said sock puppet's beloved GOP is all about is just, just, mindbogglingly brilliant. It is beyond the pale. Added to the mental fortitude to lazily tap-in a popular, inaccurate, conservative phantom of what they think liberals are, as just a bit of icing.

good show, little comrade.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i have always thought it was weird that us as Americans think everyone here should speak English. When we travel to others countries we speak their lang.... Oh no, we expect them to speak English.

Primary English-speaking nations are a bit unique, especially in the US. We tend to consider bi, tri, multi-lingual individuals to somehow be especially brilliant. ...but there really is no reason for this. For something like ~80% of the world population, multilingualism is simply the default.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Primary English-speaking nations are a bit unique, especially in the US. We tend to consider bi, tri, multi-lingual individuals to somehow be especially brilliant. ...but there really is no reason for this. For something like ~80% of the world population, multilingualism is simply the default.
I wonder why don't learn like that? know we are lazy as a nation, but it would nice

Nov 8, 2012
I wonder why don't learn like that? know we are lazy as a nation, but it would nice

To be fair, a lot of the romance languages are fairly close together.

French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian are all definitely very similar. When you learn one of those it isn't difficult to learn the others.

And it's possible to learn it in the states, heck my wife knows 5 if you include sign language.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
No context of prior events, no care.

Congrats on your feel good story though chum.
Are you dense? Use your basic interpretive skills man. When the old lady said, "they'll take back our country", yea the context is pretty much an open book.

She also opened with "you are from a different generation.." implying that yea we're both white, but you not getting it, because you're younger. (it being white supremacy, let me spell this out for you).

Use your deductive cues yo when presented with limited information.

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
To be fair, a lot of the romance languages are fairly close together.

French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian are all definitely very similar. When you learn one of those it isn't difficult to learn the others.

And it's possible to learn it in the states, heck my wife knows 5 if you include sign language.

That is absolutely false, it's MORE difficult because the words are similar but do not always mean the same thing. If you understand Italian you can't speak a WORD of French for example. You can perhaps understand a few words here and there but they often don't have the same meaning.

It's easier for us to learn French than it is for an Italian.

I speak four languages and learning French was the easiest one, Spanish was the hardest and German was quite easy.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Good the moron was arrested. I work for a French company in denver and get a lot of french speakers visiting the office. I bet that moron would NOT confront them for speaking French.

Why would she? Lacking the drug gangs, and lacking the sheer consequence a volume of 10s of millions brings.
The demographic change is seen as an invasion. And it's not Canadians, which leaves....

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Why would she? Lacking the drug gangs, and lacking the sheer consequence a volume of 10s of millions brings.
The demographic change is seen as an invasion. And it's not Canadians, which leaves....

Truthfully don't want America to turn into that "other Mexico", I'm fine with diversity but people flooding in from one country doesn't seem like a great idea.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

I think the answer is that we don't learn because it isn't a necessity. European nations are the size of our states. It would be like traveling from Oregon to Washington, CA, and Idaho, and encountering a different language in each place. Multilingualism is far more useful and necessary in Europe than it currently is in the U.S. That said, Spanish is increasingly becoming useful and has been trending in that direction for a few decades.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Truthfully don't want America to turn into that "other Mexico", I'm fine with diversity but people flooding in from one country doesn't seem like a great idea.
most of the illegals over stay their visas and don't cross the border on foot.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

This. How many people get confronted on the street for speaking French? Or German? Or Swedish? Or Italian?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
We still get some strange looks when relatives come over and we all start speaking Limburgs, but harassed? Never

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
We still get some strange looks when relatives come over and we all start speaking Limburgs, but harassed? Never

I had not heard of it before though I have traveled through the area. Thank you.