White House steps up attacks on Fox News

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: FerrelGeek
Yup. Freedom of the press only for 'correct thinking' journalists. It's good to see the Chicago thug machine get smacked.

Fox doesn't employ journalists. They employ commentators. Saying Fox should be treated like journalists is like saying sportscasters should be able to wander around on a ball field while the game is being played because they cover sports.

Reactions: amenx

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: Patranus
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: Patranus
And recent studies such as the one done by the Pew Institute have shown that Fox News is the *least* bias news network.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :)
You must have failed to read what I wrote. I never said the study found NO bias, the study found that it was the LEAST bias.

Here is a link to one of the studies regarding election coverage
http://www.journalism.org/node/13436#fn1

I will see if I can dig up the link to some of the other studies I am thinking of.
Just curious, did you read your link? It does NOT support your assertion that "Fox News is the *least* bias news network." On the contrary, it found Fox and MSNBC to be mirror images of each other in bias, while the other television MSM were LESS biased:

In cable, the evidence firmly suggests there now really is an ideological divide between two of the three channels, at least in their coverage of the campaign.

Things look much better for Barack Obama?and much worse for John McCain?on MSNBC than in most other news outlets. On the Fox News Channel, the coverage of the presidential candidates is something of a mirror image of that seen on MSNBC.

The tone of CNN?s coverage, meanwhile, lay somewhere in the middle of the cable spectrum, and was generally more negative than the press overall.

On the evening newscasts of the three traditional networks, in contrast, there is no such ideological split. Indeed, on the nightly newscasts of ABC, CBS and NBC, coverage tends to be more neutral and generally less negative than elsewhere. On the network morning shows, Sarah Palin is a bigger story than she is in the media generally.

And on NBC News programs, there was no reflection of the tendency of its cable sibling MSNBC toward more favorable coverage of Democrats and more negative of Republicans than the norm.]
Just to finish making your head explode, be sure to note their findings about CNN. As much as you guys love to wail about CNN being the Communist News Network, this study -- the one you linked, remember -- found CNN's coverage was "somewhere in the middle" for cable networks, though more negative overall -- to both parties -- than other news sources. That's why you guys see CNN as so biased. When they run negative stories about the left, you accept them at face value and think, "it's about time." When they run negative stories about the right, you start crying about bias.
Thought I'd bump this for Patty, Doc Savage, and all the other wing-nuts who make all these emotional accusations based on partisan talking points, but then scatter back to the shadows when faced with factual information refuting their claims.

cough.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Athena
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Glad to see the other networks stand up to the WH and won't play their game. Damn...it's refreshing to see these major news outlets actually stand up for principles and not kowtow to Obama's slimy politics.

White House escalates campaign against Fox
"Thursday, the Obama administration escalated its war with Fox News by trying to bar the cable channel's White House correspondent from a press pool event. To their credit, the four other members of the pool -- ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN -- told the White House if Fox were barred none of them would participate in the interview session."

As far as I'm concerned, they could have told them fine, you stay home too -- and they would have all caved within 24 hours.

how can we corroborate the linked story?

the linked story is coming fro mFox news for cryin out loud!!

and after seeing the segments....there are no facts presented in the segment, only a story....

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: OrByte
Glad to see the other networks stand up to the WH and won't play their game. Damn...it's refreshing to see these major news outlets actually stand up for principles and not kowtow to Obama's slimy politics.

"Thursday, the Obama administration escalated its war with Fox News by trying to bar the cable channel's White House correspondent from a press pool event. To their credit, the four other members of the pool -- ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN -- told the White House if Fox were barred none of them would participate in the interview session."

As far as I'm concerned, they could have told them fine, you stay home too -- and they would have all caved within 24 hours.

and after seeing the segments....there are no facts presented in the segment, only a story....

a new invention called Google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...eature=player_embedded @ 1:05

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The Obama admin sent Murdoch a message; message received. There are many more subtle damaging ways that the Obama admin can lay on Fox, as I'm sure they're now right in the middle of executing.

I can clearly recall how Fox was (is) whoring itself to the RNC for all those years that Bush was in office, totally unlike ALL the other News channels. That's just the blatant obvious truth.

And now we have one instance where the Obama admin intimately farts in the face of Murdoch and suddenly Fox is just another news channel being victimized (by their own victim no less)?

What a load......pfffft

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: sciwizam
Originally posted by: OrByte

a new invention called Google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...eature=player_embedded @ 1:05

Jesus, what an fucking apologist. And what was that "Fox is laughing all the way to the bank" line at the end? Since when is the truth and profit synonymous? The country is fucked.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Zstream
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
It may be that the other media networks realize that if the reprisals toward Fox is unchecked; they could become the next in line.

Why do people not understand this crucial point? R/D aside, this is the issue at hand.

The problem here is posters who don't understand Fox is a propaganda organization, and the White house is telling the truth.

Because they don't understand that, they view it as a Big Brother tyranny issue of the government abusing power by using it to silence legitimate criticism.

These people are unable to understand the situation when there is such a propaganda organization if they are sympathetic to it.

It's fine to raise questions about the proper way for the government to deal with a propaganda organixzation, so that the rights of real news organizations aren't trampled, but the discussion needs to be based on the propraganda organization being that. For these people, it's not.

By the way, the smell test on this: how many of these champions for the press expressed the same concern when Bush put Helen Thomas in the back and stopped calling on her?

Zero that I saw.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
It may be that the other media networks realize that if the reprisals toward Fox is unchecked; they could become the next in line.

Why do people not understand this crucial point? R/D aside, this is the issue at hand.

The problem here is posters who don't understand Fox is a propaganda organization, and the White house is telling the truth.

Why didn't the whitehouse point out all of the other propoganda organizations?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

WOW!

You need to seek professional help. Now.

Either that or complete your goal of living in Venezuela.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ozoned

Simply because Murdock is the ring leader of all the "organizations".

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Ozoned

Simply because Murdock is the ring leader of all the "organizations".

It doesn't help the Roger Ailes is president either.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
i would have LOVED to see the left's outrage if bubububush had done this... but then they would yell "precedent, bush did it first!" and say all was right with the current leader, that he wasn't corrupt, that he doesn't have an agenda, etc...

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
i would have LOVED to see the left's outrage if bubububush had done this... but then they would yell "precedent, bush did it first!" and say all was right with the current leader, that he wasn't corrupt, that he doesn't have an agenda, etc...

It's a known fact that Bush never allowed any left leaning news organization within a mile of his location ;)

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Ausm
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

It's a known fact that Bush never allowed any left leaning news organization within a mile of his location ;)

my meter broken, or is that sarcasm inside of P&N?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Although to be fair Obama always remained Presidential. Trump you can't really say the same. "Your organization is terrible" should be beneath him to say.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just to be clear, I believe this story was debunked.

First off, it was the treasury that set up the press interviews. 2nd, it was a paper interview, no cameras, and video interviews were done unless requested which fox did not but other networks did. Lastly, it was the white house that cleared fox to get access to the interview.

I'm trying to find a good source but the search terms make it almost impossible.

Last edited: