White House steps up attacks on Fox News

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Originally posted by: seemingly random
MSNBC is a whore...who would have thunk!!! Where's the outrage!!!
Yes, but at least they take a shower each day. Fox hasn't taken a shower in years. The stench is overwhelming.
Yeah...right...unless maybe you're talking about a golden shower.
What's a golden shower?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Greenman
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Greenman
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
This is good news for Fox, the white house is too blinded by their anger to understand that they are shooting themselves in the foot over and over.

Every time they "slam" Fox, the Fox ratings go up even further. In addition, people get a little nervous when the gobment goes after any news outlet, no matter what their political agenda. When the government is able to silence opposition voices, no matter how idiotic, it's dangerous for us all.

Basically, these little white house tantrums give fox more power.

Basically, I think you are dreaming the dream that reverse psychology will work. Fox news is a disease that is sickening the minds of weak minded unanalytical Americans, like Nazi propaganda did, and needs to be snuffed out before the ovens get lit.

That's an interesting point of view. I assume you would agree that all media news outlets should be tightly controlled by the government?

I believe in radiation, chemo or surgery for cancer. I believe there is no freedom without responsibility, because of entropy, everything goes down hill. Exterminate crud on you teeth so it doesn't destroy your enamel.

So only the media that you agree with should be allowed on the air. Got it.
You may not be aware of this, but news censorship wasn't considered liberal or progressive until very recently. In the past it was considered a tool of repressive governments. I'm somewhat surprised to here you support the practice.

I am persuaded by notions of hate speech and the experience of modern German's attitude toward Nazis. They have outlawed that party and do not permit Nazi speech. 50 million dead works wonders in terms of sobriety. I believe that hate propaganda is a profound evil and should be crushed, preferably with other free speech, but when necessary, by force. I see no reason for a society to tolerate what will not tolerate them if they gain power. I am fully aware of the dangers of fanatics on all sides. However, I maintain there is a qualitative difference between different kinds of fanaticism. I know where Nazi thinking will take us. I can't pretend to be stupid when some things are obvious. I don't want them dead, I want them challenged at every turn. I want to make their lives as miserable as they will make mine if they get the chance. They are parasites that abuse free speech and liberal thinking. They are a cancer. You don't not treat cancer.

Nov 30, 2006
Glad to see the other networks stand up to the WH and won't play their game. Damn...it's refreshing to see these major news outlets actually stand up for principles and not kowtow to Obama's slimy politics.

White House escalates campaign against Fox
"Thursday, the Obama administration escalated its war with Fox News by trying to bar the cable channel's White House correspondent from a press pool event. To their credit, the four other members of the pool -- ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN -- told the White House if Fox were barred none of them would participate in the interview session."

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, but at least they take a shower each day. Fox hasn't taken a shower in years. The stench is overwhelming.
What's a golden shower?

lmfao

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Ausm
What's a golden shower?

lmfao

Ausm must know.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PJABBER
Originally posted by: Ausm
What's a golden shower?

lmfao

Ausm must know.

Yeah it's amazing that peeps on this claim they know just about everything but have no clue what a fucking golden shower is lmfao.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
An excellent article on the cancer that is Fox News.
Very good article, spot on. As it says, the real story is NOT the Obama admin saying the emperor has no clothes, it's that the emperor truly has no clothes. In other words, the important story is that Fox "News" actively pushes a partisan agenda under the guise of news, not that the admin's comments about it.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Very good article, spot on. As it says, the real story is NOT the Obama admin saying the emperor has no clothes, it's that the emperor truly has no clothes. In other words, the important story is that Fox "News" actively pushes a partisan agenda under the guise of news, not that the admin's comments about it.

I though Obama was the Emperor and Fox was the little boy pointing.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Patranus
Originally posted by: Arkaign
And recent studies such as the one done by the Pew Institute have shown that Fox News is the *least* bias news network.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :)
You must have failed to read what I wrote. I never said the study found NO bias, the study found that it was the LEAST bias.

Here is a link to one of the studies regarding election coverage
http://www.journalism.org/node/13436#fn1

I will see if I can dig up the link to some of the other studies I am thinking of.
Just curious, did you read your link? It does NOT support your assertion that "Fox News is the *least* bias news network." On the contrary, it found Fox and MSNBC to be mirror images of each other in bias, while the other television MSM were LESS biased:

In cable, the evidence firmly suggests there now really is an ideological divide between two of the three channels, at least in their coverage of the campaign.

Things look much better for Barack Obama?and much worse for John McCain?on MSNBC than in most other news outlets. On the Fox News Channel, the coverage of the presidential candidates is something of a mirror image of that seen on MSNBC.

The tone of CNN?s coverage, meanwhile, lay somewhere in the middle of the cable spectrum, and was generally more negative than the press overall.

On the evening newscasts of the three traditional networks, in contrast, there is no such ideological split. Indeed, on the nightly newscasts of ABC, CBS and NBC, coverage tends to be more neutral and generally less negative than elsewhere. On the network morning shows, Sarah Palin is a bigger story than she is in the media generally.

And on NBC News programs, there was no reflection of the tendency of its cable sibling MSNBC toward more favorable coverage of Democrats and more negative of Republicans than the norm.]
Just to finish making your head explode, be sure to note their findings about CNN. As much as you guys love to wail about CNN being the Communist News Network, this study -- the one you linked, remember -- found CNN's coverage was "somewhere in the middle" for cable networks, though more negative overall -- to both parties -- than other news sources. That's why you guys see CNN as so biased. When they run negative stories about the left, you accept them at face value and think, "it's about time." When they run negative stories about the right, you start crying about bias.
Thought I'd bump this for Patty, Doc Savage, and all the other wing-nuts who make all these emotional accusations based on partisan talking points, but then scatter back to the shadows when faced with factual information refuting their claims.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Yes, I know you do. That's because you get most everything backwards.

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Arkaign
And recent studies such as the one done by the Pew Institute have shown that Fox News is the *least* bias news network.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :)
You must have failed to read what I wrote. I never said the study found NO bias, the study found that it was the LEAST bias.

Here is a link to one of the studies regarding election coverage
http://www.journalism.org/node/13436#fn1

I will see if I can dig up the link to some of the other studies I am thinking of.
Just curious, did you read your link? It does NOT support your assertion that "Fox News is the *least* bias news network." On the contrary, it found Fox and MSNBC to be mirror images of each other in bias, while the other television MSM were LESS biased:

In cable, the evidence firmly suggests there now really is an ideological divide between two of the three channels, at least in their coverage of the campaign.

Things look much better for Barack Obama?and much worse for John McCain?on MSNBC than in most other news outlets. On the Fox News Channel, the coverage of the presidential candidates is something of a mirror image of that seen on MSNBC.

The tone of CNN?s coverage, meanwhile, lay somewhere in the middle of the cable spectrum, and was generally more negative than the press overall.

On the evening newscasts of the three traditional networks, in contrast, there is no such ideological split. Indeed, on the nightly newscasts of ABC, CBS and NBC, coverage tends to be more neutral and generally less negative than elsewhere. On the network morning shows, Sarah Palin is a bigger story than she is in the media generally.

And on NBC News programs, there was no reflection of the tendency of its cable sibling MSNBC toward more favorable coverage of Democrats and more negative of Republicans than the norm.]
Just to finish making your head explode, be sure to note their findings about CNN. As much as you guys love to wail about CNN being the Communist News Network, this study -- the one you linked, remember -- found CNN's coverage was "somewhere in the middle" for cable networks, though more negative overall -- to both parties -- than other news sources. That's why you guys see CNN as so biased. When they run negative stories about the left, you accept them at face value and think, "it's about time." When they run negative stories about the right, you start crying about bias.
Thought I'd bump this for Patty, Doc Savage, and all the other wing-nuts who make all these emotional accusations based on partisan talking points, but then scatter back to the shadows when faced with factual information refuting their claims.
So tell me...have you ever seen a news network do a fact check on a SNL skit before?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
So tell me...have you ever seen a news network do a fact check on a SNL skit before?
So tell me ... do you ever address an argument with relevant discussion and factual information, or are you limited to diversions and emotional arguments based on RNC propaganda points?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Exactly. The white house doesn't like news outlets speaking the truth, they must only be allowed to speak the words of the Obamessiah.

Dec 10, 2005

Excuse me, but I seemed to miss the part where SNL could be mistaken for news and not just a sketch comedy show.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Exactly. The white house doesn't like news outlets speaking the truth, they must only be allowed to speak the words of the Obamessiah.

No, the WH doesn't like a "News Organization" blatantly spreading right-wing propaganda and lies.

Athena

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
Glad to see the other networks stand up to the WH and won't play their game. Damn...it's refreshing to see these major news outlets actually stand up for principles and not kowtow to Obama's slimy politics.

"Thursday, the Obama administration escalated its war with Fox News by trying to bar the cable channel's White House correspondent from a press pool event. To their credit, the four other members of the pool -- ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN -- told the White House if Fox were barred none of them would participate in the interview session."

As far as I'm concerned, they could have told them fine, you stay home too -- and they would have all caved within 24 hours.

Nov 30, 2006
So tell me ... do you ever address an argument with relevant discussion and factual information, or are you limited to diversions and emotional arguments based on RNC propaganda points?
WTF are you talking about...I point to a clear and recent example of blatant news media bias and you call it a diversion? My comment was both relevant to the discussion and factual. You been hitting the bottle a little early today?

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Athena

As far as I'm concerned, they could have told them fine, you stay home too -- and they would have all caved within 24 hours.
And we would have a precedent established. I'm sure then that you wouldn't object in the future when a Republican president does the same thing when he doesn't like a particular news network or two who don't happen to see eye-to-eye on his policies. How nice.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
WTF are you talking about...I point to a clear and recent example of blatant news media bias and you call it a diversion? My comment was both relevant to the discussion and factual. You been hitting the bottle a little early today?

Don't mind Bowfinger, he tends to not follow the discussion and then leaps in with all sorts of inanities. He also tends to forget that it is he and his fellow leftists who love the emotional instead of rational arguments. :)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Except it's not an example of media bias, no matter how many times the RNC tells you to say so. Perhaps it's an example of CNN's shift to infotainment rather than real news, a valid complaint IMO about all television media, but there's nothing especially partisan about it. That's just your Pavlovian response because the usual RNC propaganda outlets started spreading the claim. You continue to make emotional arguments based on this while ignoring factual information to the contrary.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Don't mind me. I've got a crush on Bowfinger and tend to not follow the discussion and then leap in with all sorts of inanities when he posts. I also tend to forget that it is I and my fellow wing-nuts who love to emotionally accuse the left of whatever my RNC puppeteers tell me to instead of making rational arguments. :)
Fixed.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Don't mind me. I've got a crush on Bowfinger and tend to not follow the discussion and then leap in with all sorts of inanities when he posts. I also tend to forget that it is I and my fellow wing-nuts who love to emotionally accuse the left of whatever my RNC puppeteers tell me to instead of making rational arguments. :)
Fixed.

exellent example of transference.:laugh: