White House says Walmart, FedEx, UPS will move to 24/7 model to address supply chain bottlenecks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This is false, he sought to restrict testing and the first two available vaccines were developed with English (Oxford, AZ vaccine) and German (BionTech, Comniarity) funds and incentives, the US did indeed stop exports of already sold vaccines to the EU and other nations and we won't forget that the next time around but it did help you in the short term, slightly.

He did pretty much everything wrong and if he had been allowed he'd botch it even worse than arguing for other methods like HCQ and injecting disinfectants inside (as opposed to injecting them outside?).

The man was a clown, a joke, a pathetic excuse of a moronic imbecile without a single coherent thought for 4 fucking years and here you are praising him for your ignorance on the matter.

Yeah, the unions are always the problem. Don't want to pay your workers? Workers won't work without pay? Blame the unions.

Every nation in the EU made it work, industry wide unions with collective agreements where workers rights are protected by law. Still, we have no problems with that but you do and you are blaming that on unions far weaker than what we have here.

What you really want is fascism, the right to end all agreements via government and fuck the workers up the arse so you can get your little package on time. How the fuck did the US get so pathetic?

Hard times lead to hard men.
Hard men lead to good times.
Good times lead to soft men.
Soft men lead to hard times.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
100% true. But still doesn’t change the fact Trump helped accelerate the vaccine development and deployment with his bullying and wasting of Federal money. The only time Trump actually did any work during his presidency was during Covid because he was trying to save his ass for reelection. Trump daily covid press conferences were often comically bad but he hosted one everyday for months. For that I give him credit. I don’t think Sleepy Joe would’ve had the energy to do daily press conference.

Lol, you are being rather generous.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
100% true. But still doesn’t change the fact Trump helped accelerate the vaccine development and deployment with his bullying and wasting of Federal money. The only time Trump actually did any work during his presidency was during Covid because he was trying to save his ass for reelection. Trump daily covid press conferences were often comically bad but he hosted one everyday for months. For that I give him credit. I don’t think Sleepy Joe would’ve had the energy to do daily press conference.

I never took you for such a Trump fluffer, wow. Yet here you are, trying to act like Trump had some kind of work ethic about an issue he fumed at having to deal with. 'Everyday for months,' yeah until he got bored with his task force and bleach recommendations, just like the press briefings. Ran away. Already got rid of the help Obama left him. "Sleepy Joe" was taking this deadly disease seriously the minute he was in office and got 100 million vaccines administered in his first 100 days, and doesn't run from the press or whine like a baby when asked real questions. Haven't heard him tell anyone to try using sunlight, bleach, or unproven drugs to treat covid. Funny that.

Save his ass for reelection? The piece of treasonous shit planned a coup! When it didn't work he created a violent insurrection to try and stop the peaceful transfer of power after a free and fair election. Way to sound like a Fox Noise drone there ponyo. I knew you liked mushrooms I just wish it wasn't the orange variety. /rimshot

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So we wonder.... WHAT WOULD TRUMP DO ???
Well, if you're a Q or republican senator in congress, Trump would simply wave his magic wand and poof, everything fixed. But none of it would really be fixed because Trump and Fox News would just "pretend" that everything was fixed. That's not magic, that is voodoo.

PS. I'll bet that those ports of LA and the likes are already in operation 24/7 and always have been. That is an industry I would wager has always been 24/7 simply by necessity. Hell.... 7/11 is 24/7 and they only sell bread, gas and condoms.
UPS delivers during the day but their operations are definitely 24/7, and the same with the post office and Fedex. Who is pushing this crap that operations are only an 8 hour a day, Monday thru Friday operation???? I sure hope that nonsense is not coming from the Biden administration. I mean, WHY would Biden even say this i.e. operations will be going 24/7 ??? This worries me....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I don't know what this is or means but it makes no sense what so ever. Maybe that is the point?
You need to study history. Its actually a meme, but it kinda makes sense.

Generally speaking, humanity goes thru cycles. When times are tough, the people get a little tougher. They work hard and sometimes fight to make life better. Eventually life in that society gets so good that the people become lazy, apathetic, society stagnates, and things eventually get worse. Its easy to blame "soft" men but more often its actually caused by tough men who just turned intellectually lazy and stopped working on understanding their society and its problems and instead chose to make their own lives better. And if you look at whats happened to America during and after World War 2, it seems to fit.

Right now we have literally tens of millions of people who dont study history, who dont keep up on American news (thru legitimate news sources) and instead prefer it when pundits talk at them and tell them what they wanna hear and vote for evil selfish assholes who claim they will make their lives better while actually doing the exact opposite. Its a cycle and it happens over and over throughout human history. The bulk of the population turns ignorant which makes them easy pickings for manipulators and con artists, they eventually vote themselves into oblivion and the cycle starts over again.
Rome wasn't conquered. It collapsed form the inside.

Reactions: pcgeek11

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I never took you for such a Trump fluffer, wow. Yet here you are, trying to act like Trump had some kind of work ethic about an issue he fumed at having to deal with. 'Everyday for months,' yeah until he got bored with his task force and bleach recommendations, just like the press briefings. Ran away. Already got rid of the help Obama left him. "Sleepy Joe" was taking this deadly disease seriously the minute he was in office and got 100 million vaccines administered in his first 100 days, and doesn't run from the press or whine like a baby when asked real questions. Haven't heard him tell anyone to try using sunlight, bleach, or unproven drugs to treat covid. Funny that.

Save his ass for reelection? The piece of treasonous shit planned a coup! When it didn't work he created a violent insurrection to try and stop the peaceful transfer of power after a free and fair election. Way to sound like a Fox Noise drone there ponyo. I knew you liked mushrooms I just wish it wasn't the orange variety. /rimshot
Not a fan of Trump. I voted for Biden because I can't stand Trump. But I give credit when it's due. Trump covid response was horrible and costed him the election but he did spend massively and bullied drug companies and officials to speed up vaccine development to try to save his ass and reelection chances.

This thread is about Biden trying to solve the West coast port mess. This happened with Biden in office so it's his job to fix it. Biden loves union and unions love him so I'm sure they'll fix it. But it's ridiculous we're in this mess in the first place. And I blame unions. Biden should've acted way sooner. But better late than never.

Reactions: kage69

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Imagine giving Trump credit for doing a lot of press conferences. Yeah, he fucking loves to hear himself speak with the cameras on him on a national stage. That's like the most basic feature of Trump that anyone with half a sense of reality would know.
For the most part, they were usually embarrassing clown shows, with I and me being the main subject.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Wow, for the first time in office, Trump STARTS to do what you would expect a president to do. He deserves so much credit.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Generally speaking, humanity goes thru cycles. When times are tough, the people get a little tougher. They work hard and sometimes fight to make life better. Eventually life in that society gets so good that the people become lazy, apathetic, society stagnates, and things eventually get worse. Its easy to blame "soft" men but more often its actually caused by tough men who just turned intellectually lazy and stopped working on understanding their society and its problems and instead chose to make their own lives better. And if you look at whats happened to America during and after World War 2, it seems to fit.

Right now we have literally tens of millions of people who dont study history, who dont keep up on American news (thru legitimate news sources) and instead prefer it when pundits talk at them and tell them what they wanna hear and vote for evil selfish assholes who claim they will make their lives better while actually doing the exact opposite. Its a cycle and it happens over and over throughout human history. The bulk of the population turns ignorant which makes them easy pickings for manipulators and con artists, they eventually vote themselves into oblivion and the cycle starts over again.
Harsh environment leads to adaptation.
Safe environment leads to reproduction.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This thread is about Biden trying to solve the West coast port mess. This happened with Biden in office so it's his job to fix it. Biden loves union and unions love him so I'm sure they'll fix it. But it's ridiculous we're in this mess in the first place. And I blame unions. Biden should've acted way sooner. But better late than never.

There is relatively little that Biden, or any politician really, can do in the short term. Our intermodal system is creaky, outdated, and inefficient compared to basically everywhere else that handles a lot of this traffic. Shipping lines, trucking companies, railroads, and warehouses don't share data. Shortages of chassis, warehouse space, and rail capacity have been well known for years and companies have in some cases made it worse by shuttering facilities that they've now had to reopen. BNSF, Union Pacific, Norfolk Southern and others all closed intermodal yards in the middle of the county over the last few years to reduce costs, they simply assumed they'd never need the capacity. Trucking companies have been shorthanded for at least a decade but still won't pay what it takes to get enough drivers or make fleet investments. Cargo handling at ports is antiquated since only a few have on dock rail and the biggest ports don't have enough of it. Warehouse construction has not kept pace with surging e-commerce over the last 15 years and most companies didn't maintain much space because they assumed the supply chain would get them what they needed when they needed it.

If people want to blame the Longshoremen then ok I guess. They're actually unloading plenty of containers from ships but there is nowhere for them to go because everything past them in the logistics train is f'd.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021

Pretty sure I do not, I'm German though so there is a good chance that I know the ACTUAL history of the US far, far, far better than you ever will.

Generally speaking you are completely wrong, millions of people starving to death does not make people "tough" and you suggesting that it does just means you don't understand basic biology. People who are malnourished are never tough.

What happened to America was that the poor died in the streets while the rich prospered, you do know that, right? You do know that the influx of working opportunities for a nation that was not under attack nor did it even have any inkling to be involved until they were literally attacked and declared war upon was quite great, right?

Of course you don't. You don't know jack shit about the history of the US, how could you? You learned that "good strong people always do well and the weak plebs deserve to die".

Then you take all of that propaganda that you have learned and you whine about voting for the likes of... I dunno, based on your argument it seems like you are talking about how AOC and Bernie are evil? Or is it Biden? Can't be Trump, you are pushing his words as hard as you possibly can here.

As I said, civil war or world war. The coddling of fascists that you have engaged in for 200+ years needs to stop or they WILL take over and we will NOT let them do their thing.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Not a fan of Trump. I voted for Biden because I can't stand Trump. But I give credit when it's due. Trump covid response was horrible and costed him the election but he did spend massively and bullied drug companies and officials to speed up vaccine development to try to save his ass and reelection chances.

That's a relief to hear, and I understand the desire to attribute credit, but to repeat my earlier response, so what? You're specifying early acts that were basically negated by the behavior of the same person you are trying to credit. Do you think that matters when the original issue is still killing Americans by the thousands, years later?

Well, you weren't posting revisionist history regarding the port mess, you were giving Trump praise over an issue he made far, far worse. Biden isn't a wannabe dictator, if you're expecting him to pull some imperious power move like Trump ordering meat plant workers to pretend covid doesn't exist, so China can have pork for their New Year, not happening. Is there some authority over unions and/or private property you are expecting him to exert here? Be specific.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'd like to see how unions are only to blame for this. Ponyo is anti labor, this is well-established. It's always the people at the bottom of the food chain's fault. He expects people to work for peanuts so the rich at top can get richer. His icon is Elon, who despises unions and pays his workers below the industry average and has a history of dismissing poor working conditions. Standard tycoon behavior - view labor as something to exploit as much as possible within the systems you are working in.

I mean no way is this caused by a worldwide pandemic that created this situation in the slightest, topped with an aging infrastructure system at the ports simply not designed for this much volume. We know how one political party feels about investing in infrastructure in this country, don't we.

It's none of those things, it's just the bad blue collar guys that want decent pay for hard ass work.

Unbelievable.

And truckers should be paid way more money, have certain amount of paid vacation, and like everyone else, should have universal health insurance. But that's communism.

I mean port truckers just won 30 million in a wage theft situation, they were making less than minimum wage!!! - but Ponyo wants to blame the workers always, not the big business that tries to fuck over people wherever possible.

"One of the world’s largest trucking companies, XPO Logistics, agreed Tuesday to pay $30 million to settle class-action lawsuits filed by hundreds of drivers who said they earned less than minimum wage delivering goods for major retailers from the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

The combined settlements, approved by U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner, addressed allegations that two XPO subsidiaries, XPO Logistics Cartage in Commerce and San Diego and XPO Port Service in Rancho Dominguez, paid drivers less-than-legal wages, failed to pay them for missed meal and rest periods, and failed to reimburse them for business expenses or for waiting-time penalties.

The settlements amounted to a major victory for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which applauded the lawsuits as part of a decades-long effort to organize the twin ports’ more than 13,000 drivers."

This is the world people like Ponyo want us to live in, let those truckers eat cake! It's just gross, like the robber baron mentality we were supposed to have evolved out of.

• Wow

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
I'd like to see how unions are only to blame for this. Ponyo is anti labor, this is well-established. It's always the people at the bottom of the food chain's fault. He expects people to work for peanuts so the rich at top can get richer. His icon is Elon, who despises unions and pays his workers below the industry average and has a history of dismissing poor working conditions. Standard tycoon behavior - view labor as something to exploit as much as possible within the systems you are working in.

I mean no way is this caused by a worldwide pandemic that created this situation in the slightest, topped with an aging infrastructure system at the ports simply not designed for this much volume. We know how one political party feels about investing in infrastructure in this country, don't we.

It's none of those things, it's just the bad blue collar guys that want decent pay for hard ass work.

Unbelievable.

And truckers should be paid way more money, have certain amount of paid vacation, and like everyone else, should have universal health insurance. But that's communism.

This whole idea that unions are to blame or that unions are just taking money from workers comes from a system that is inherently opposed to working people making an honest living.

In Germany we don't have a minimum wage, we don't need one. We have industry wide unions with workers rights well supported in law and that means we have two parties in a free market negotiating the terms.

That's Capitalism, what you have is wage slaves who can be paid $2.50 and rely in the good will of customers or $7 for doing work that is actually worth 8 times that to the employer who would still profit by a factor of five if you tripled that salary. But profits matter, people do not. 'tis the 'murican motto.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This whole idea that unions are to blame or that unions are just taking money from workers comes from a system that is inherently opposed to working people making an honest living.

In Germany we don't have a minimum wage, we don't need one. We have industry wide unions with workers rights well supported in law and that means we have two parties in a free market negotiating the terms.

That's Capitalism, what you have is wage slaves who can be paid $2.50 and rely in the good will of customers or $7 for doing work that is actually worth 8 times that to the employer who would still profit by a factor of five if you tripled that salary. But profits matter, people do not. 'tis the 'murican motto.

Indeed. I was editing my post so in case you missed it, 13,000 port truck drivers just won a 30 million dollar settlement after it was determined they were paid less than minimum wage and totally fucked over. But it's the worker's fault we are in this mess. Unreal

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Indeed. I was editing my post so in case you missed it, 13,000 port truck drivers just won a 30 million dollar settlement after it was determined they were paid less than minimum wage and totally fucked over. But it's the worker's fault we are in this mess. Unreal

I missed it, and yeah that is just fucking unreal. I mean, truck drivers even in nations like Poland, Hungary and Romania that are notoriously underpaid make three times that.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I missed it, and yeah that is just fucking unreal. I mean, truck drivers even in nations like Poland, Hungary and Romania that are notoriously underpaid make three times that.

It is crazy. The article goes into how port workers, in this case truckers, are fucked over routinely. Big business will do anything to shaft labor way more often than not. And they can because there are tens of millions of people that think like Ponyo, he is not unique. Labor should just take it up the ass, they are the ones holding things up.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I told you guys a long time ago, what we really need is one huge labor union for all the working class schmucks. something like ALL retailers in one big union. If Walmart starts screwing over their employees, not only does every Walmart connected person in America strike at once, but also Target, and Dollar General, and 7-11, and Kohls and Marshals and CVS and Albertsons and the whole fucking gang.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It is crazy. The article goes into how port workers, in this case truckers, are fucked over routinely. Big business will do anything to shaft labor way more often than not. And they can because there are tens of millions of people that think like Ponyo, he is not unique. Labor should just take it up the ass, they are the ones holding things up.

It's disgusting how the CEO class has put the screws to the workers below them, increasing their own pay and bonuses in the process. Went into overdrive once Cadet Bonespurs stained the office. I'm finding it difficult to hold a grudge against people who are fed up with their treatment and seized an opportune time to strike and make their needs known. This kind of stuff doesn't happen when you treat your employees right. Having said that, this whole supply chain issue isn't just one bottleneck. No matter what happens with shipping companies and ports, this country is still really hurting for truck drivers.

We're used to throwing money at problems until they go away. Ok, so do the same thing with payroll and benefits, watch the human side of this disagreement evaporate overnight. Needing more port capacity, truck drivers, those will take longer unfortunately. Big Business is going to lose money no matter what thanks to where their greedy business culture has put them. Either it comes out of what goes to executive pay and bonuses (both having skyrocketed recently) or they get to keep losing employees and business until they sink into the red. Strikes right now seem more painful for the corps than the workers, but I hope they can work out some deals and let people get back to a semblance of normalcy, especially leading up to the holidays. Probably want to get this worked out before Moscow Mitch and the GQP create another financial crisis for Xmas.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021

There are others, in this thread, proclaimed liberals who stopped replying after my post that know exactly that they care more about their little pakige than workers rights.

It's fucking pathetic and in this case it's a bit of both sides but NOT with Biden, this is his forte, at least from what I know about him.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Curse word when I was working was "just in time delivery" in a business where schedules for main events are planned at least a year in advanced. Always, loved the call, "when is the last possible date that you can receive the equipment".

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I never saw a damn drive through test at anything around here but government sponsored entities. Eventually private places started doing testing, and often they charged.

We know what you think about labor, they should be robotic slaves. That's lovely if you haven't evolved, but we are trying. Pay people. But that would be bad for your stocks.

The first vaccine was developed in Germany, with zero Trump money. A couple Turkish immigrants had a company that made it, called BioNTech. One was an immigrant, the other a first generation German born to Turkish immigrants.

Pfizer helped with the logistics and testing, and took zero Trump money for that.

I mean if you want to applaud Trump's handling of Covid, you deserve a medal for lunacy. The amount of fuck ups Trump did with Covid is insane.
Trump was a piece of shit, but he did change the conversation from "3+ years" to "less than a year." I believe operation warp speed did make the process move much faster and put the FDA on notice to approve shit quickly and in ways they had not done before. Pfizer also got POs issued to them prior to approval which removed a ton of the risk. I followed the vaccine development closely from before there was even a COVID thread here and the conversation and timelines did change after the announcement of Warp Speed.

I think pretty much any president would've done the same thing, probably better, but its not right to refuse to give at least some credit to OWS.

ETA: Not because I think Trump did anything personally, except set the narrative and goal.

Last edited:

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
Actually, Trump got shit done in regards to covid testing and speeding up the vaccine development and deployment. Walgreen and CVS have drive thru testing and have performed millions of test. My wife and I got our PCR COVID test for international travel done at Walgreens drive through.

Big part of the supply chain mess we’re facing is because of the backed up ports out West. And I blame that on the unions. If this was Asia, they would’ve worked 24/7 nonstop to clear the backlog. It’s about time Biden told his union buddies to get to work. They are holding the country and the world hostage by not clearing the port mess they created.
20210618_215400752_iOS.jpg