White House says Walmart, FedEx, UPS will move to 24/7 model to address supply chain bottlenecks

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
The White House announced the update ahead of President Biden’s meeting with stakeholders, including Walmart CEO John Furner, FedEx Logistics CEO Udo Lange, and president of U.S. operations at UPS Nando Cesarone, to discuss collective efforts to address global transportation supply chain bottlenecks on Wednesday.

UPS and FedEx combined shipped 40 percent of American packages by volume in 2020, according to the White House.

Additionally, the post of Los Angeles will move into 24/7 service. The port of Long Beach has been working 24/7 for the past three weeks, the official said.

This is maybe encouraging news…but gotta ask…what took so long? And I’d have thought the port of LA would have long been working 24/7, not just the last three weeks

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
thats fine by me if they have three 8 hour shifts. But I've been in several factories now and they are always two 12 hour shifts. The excuse is that the shift turnover sees a slight lull in productivity but they obviously dont care about the human factor of harming the human body for profit.

The reason corporations are having bottlenecks is they cant fill jobs. And we dont need to go into why they cant fill jobs. Its been abundantly clear during this years and last years lockdown what the fucking problem is.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
The reason corporations are having bottlenecks is they cant fill jobs. And we dont need to go into why they cant fill jobs. Its been abundantly clear during this years and last years lockdown what the fucking problem is.

For many positions yes but I wonder about the ports. All those people are either Longshoreman or Teamsters. Maybe they're also having a recruiting problem but it won't be over pay or benefits.

I was surprised that the ports wouldn't automatically got to 3 shifts with the amount of backlog they have sitting offshore.

jp7794

Oct 5, 2020
I was surprised of this as well. I would not think it would take a whole lot for these ports to go 24\7. Have the government help with funding if the ports balk. A small price to pay compared to what is currently happening with the cost of goods.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While I can’t speak to this situation specifically a lot of times these sort of changes are outside of the scope of the existing collective bargaining agreement for port workers and so they have to be negotiated.

While maybe it SHOULD be easier to make changes like this in many cases it isn’t.

Reactions: K1052 and Meghan54

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
For many positions yes but I wonder about the ports. All those people are either Longshoreman or Teamsters. Maybe they're also having a recruiting problem but it won't be over pay or benefits.

This. Longshormen unions (especially the ILWU) are extremely powerful and the jobs very well paying.

I was surprised that the ports wouldn't automatically got to 3 shifts with the amount of backlog they have sitting offshore.

My recollection is that the unions have historically resisted expansion of operating hours. Also the warehouses and railroads need to do the same for it to be worthwhile. In general complacency with outdated ways of doing things and inefficient operations have put us in a bind. Asia works their ports 24/7 and with muuuch greater efficiency which has resulted in the parking lots we see outside our major container ports.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I'm pretty much pro union, but the Longshoreman's get 0 sympathy from me. WTF, not working through the whole 24/7. You aren't working for free. Aren't most of them related to each other?
Get on it Buttigieg.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I didn't know this was even an option.

Do we think trump would have done such a move?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
So the same clowns that have screwed up this country and others are now going to help fix it? Nice.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I remember when Trump had a bunch of private industry guys at a press conference about drive thru testing at all these Walmarts or whatever stores and a bunch more shit. I don't think any of it really happened.

I bet this happens

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I remember when Trump had a bunch of private industry guys at a press conference about drive thru testing at all these Walmarts or whatever stores and a bunch more shit. I don't think any of it really happened.

I bet this happens
Actually, Trump got shit done in regards to covid testing and speeding up the vaccine development and deployment. Walgreen and CVS have drive thru testing and have performed millions of test. My wife and I got our PCR COVID test for international travel done at Walgreens drive through.

Big part of the supply chain mess we’re facing is because of the backed up ports out West. And I blame that on the unions. If this was Asia, they would’ve worked 24/7 nonstop to clear the backlog. It’s about time Biden told his union buddies to get to work. They are holding the country and the world hostage by not clearing the port mess they created.

Reactions: pcgeek11

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Actually, Trump got shit done in regards to covid testing and speeding up the vaccine development and deployment. Walgreen and CVS have drive thru testing and have performed millions of test. My wife and I got our PCR COVID test for international travel done at Walgreens drive through.

Big part of the supply chain mess we’re facing is because of the backed up ports out West. And I blame that on the unions. If this was Asia, they would’ve worked 24/7 nonstop to clear the backlog. It’s about time Biden told his union buddies to get to work. They are holding the country and the world hostage by not clearing the port mess they created.
I never saw a damn drive through test at anything around here but government sponsored entities. Eventually private places started doing testing, and often they charged.

We know what you think about labor, they should be robotic slaves. That's lovely if you haven't evolved, but we are trying. Pay people. But that would be bad for your stocks.

The first vaccine was developed in Germany, with zero Trump money. A couple Turkish immigrants had a company that made it, called BioNTech. One was an immigrant, the other a first generation German born to Turkish immigrants.

Pfizer helped with the logistics and testing, and took zero Trump money for that.

I mean if you want to applaud Trump's handling of Covid, you deserve a medal for lunacy. The amount of fuck ups Trump did with Covid is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: BD:) and DarthKyrie

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

Lol. Trump... "we have more cases because we're doing too much testing".. got shit done in regards to Covid testing? Laughable. He got something done, but I 100% guarantee, that if Biden or Obama or even Bush were president, much more would have gotten done.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I remember the CEO of Costco saying how Wall Street criticizes him for treating his employees well for that industry, because it takes away from profits.

@ponyo is those critics. Treat labor as shitty as you can so the stock holders and executives can take all the money.

Shitty people.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

So what? He also downplayed and tried to prevent people getting tested, didn't like the numbers, remember? You're talking about the guy who stole PPE supplies from states, causing them to hide their supplies. He prioritized assistance by political affiliation, see Florida. Got the taxpayer completely fucked over ventilator prices, and let's not forget admitting he knew covid19 was deadly serious while he continued to say the opposite publically. You could fill a book with the face plants that guy made, mostly for over his ego and political needs no less. 700k+ Americans dead from a preventable disease. They call it covid45 for a reason, but hey, stroke away.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Also Trump didn't do much for vaccine deployment. He was too busy trying to steal the election. You think he was focusing on vaccine deployment? Funny shit.

Biden inherited almost nothing in regards to deployment. Trump didn't brief the Biden transition team on jack, including the Afghanistan issue. Because Trump was trying to overthrow our country and viewed Biden as illegitimate. The Biden administration did the lions share of the work.

@ponyo lives in an alternate reality.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So what? He also downplayed and tried to prevent people getting tested, didn't like the numbers, remember? You're talking about the guy who stole PPE supplies from states, causing them to hide their supplies. He prioritized assistance by political affiliation, see Florida. Got the taxpayer completely fucked over ventilator prices, and let's not forget admitting he know covid19 was deadly serious while he continued to say the opposite publically. You could fill a book with the face plants that guy made, mostly for over his ego and political needs no less. 700k+ Americans dead from a preventable disease. They call it covid45 for a reason, but hey, stroke away.
100% true. But still doesn’t change the fact Trump helped accelerate the vaccine development and deployment with his bullying and wasting of Federal money. The only time Trump actually did any work during his presidency was during Covid because he was trying to save his ass for reelection. Trump daily covid press conferences were often comically bad but he hosted one everyday for months. For that I give him credit. I don’t think Sleepy Joe would’ve had the energy to do daily press conference.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Actually, Trump got shit done in regards to covid testing and speeding up the vaccine development and deployment.
I'm not calling you a liar, but could you please link me any evidence that Donald "got shit done in regards to covid testing and speeding up the vaccine development and deployment"?

Last thing I got from both Fox News and the actual news is he denied it even existed for months then denied it could get to America then denied it would spread in America then denied it was making people sick. And that's the last thing I remember in the news about Donald and the fake pandemic.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021

This is false, he sought to restrict testing and the first two available vaccines were developed with English (Oxford, AZ vaccine) and German (BionTech, Comniarity) funds and incentives, the US did indeed stop exports of already sold vaccines to the EU and other nations and we won't forget that the next time around but it did help you in the short term, slightly.

He did pretty much everything wrong and if he had been allowed he'd botch it even worse than arguing for other methods like HCQ and injecting disinfectants inside (as opposed to injecting them outside?).

The man was a clown, a joke, a pathetic excuse of a moronic imbecile without a single coherent thought for 4 fucking years and here you are praising him for your ignorance on the matter.

Yeah, the unions are always the problem. Don't want to pay your workers? Workers won't work without pay? Blame the unions.

Every nation in the EU made it work, industry wide unions with collective agreements where workers rights are protected by law. Still, we have no problems with that but you do and you are blaming that on unions far weaker than what we have here.

What you really want is fascism, the right to end all agreements via government and fuck the workers up the arse so you can get your little package on time. How the fuck did the US get so pathetic?

Reactions: BD:) and DarthKyrie