White House mulls major Fannie-Freddie shakeup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: soulcougher73
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: Patranus
I seem to remember something back in 2003 about someone named BOOOOSH calling for more regulation and Barney Frank saying that they were fiscally sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPSDnGMzIdo

This discussion should get interesting...

No it won't. This will be anything BUT interesting. One of two things will happen. The usual conservative twats will show up, throw around some insults, point out that it's Lib News, blame everything on Democrats. That or this thread will be ignored completely. The conservative fools around here will NEVER admit that ANYTHING is due to ANY ACTION by a Republican, and that everything bad in the universe is the fault of Obama and the Democrats. This forum is a wasteland, if you're waiting for interesting conversation you'd be better off visiting a daycare.

Fixed that for you. Or did i? Sound familiar yet?

Sadly, your both right.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
I seem to remember something back in 2003 about someone named BOOOOSH calling for more regulation and Barney Frank saying that they were fiscally sound.

No it won't. This will be anything BUT interesting. One of two things will happen. The usual liberal twats will show up, throw around some insults, point out that it's Faux News, blame everything on Republicans. That or this thread will be ignored completely. The liberal fools around here will NEVER admit that ANYTHING is due to ANY ACTION by a Democrat, and that everything bad in the universe is the fault of Bush and the Republicans. This forum is a wasteland, if you're waiting for interesting conversation you'd be better off visiting a daycare.

You prophesied ... and they came!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Wait a minute... Bush noted this info in the 2001 budget? Who was in charge of the oval office, house and senate (and therefore leading all comittees) until January 2007? Barney Frank? No, it was the reps.

Granted Barney Frank and Chris Dodd are corrupt asses and need to go along with Pelosi and Reid - but its not like they caused this mess. If Bush knew it in 2001, why did they not regulate it? Why? Because regulation is against the core principles of the republicans. Why did Frank not regulate it in 2007? HE's as corrupt as the next guy in Washington - he was paid off in one way or another, so was Dodd.

You want to say Washington is corrupt? you will get no argument - you want to blame it ALL on the dems? Your a fool of the highest degree.

This is why intelligent people hate Fox news... They come up with interesting info that Bush recommended this in 2001 - then blame the dems for not getting it done who werent charge of anything intil January 2007 - far too late to have avoided this mess. We were crashing by the end of 2007. they give a total pass on the Bush admin and rep congress from 2001 until 2007 and blame the dems. Granted, like I said above the dems are corrupt too, but fox news is just putting this info out there to stir up reps and make them angry.

the Truth? yes
Nothing but the truth? yes
The whole whole truth? - cough cough

*Note the crickets

There are crickets because retrospooty accused the right (Patranus, in this case) of trying to lump all of the blame on the left, when he does no such thing. He implies complicity of the left, presumably as a defense for the general mantra on this board that the right is entirely to blame. I read his post quite a few times, and I just can't find the words "blame it ALL on the left." Can you show them to me, please?

And like Patranus said, perhaps you should watch the video before commenting.

The problems with Fannie and Freddie are constantly blamed on the (D)'s here and elsewhere and those pointing the blame are nearly always on the right. This video doesn't change that.

That is because the most vocal proponents of Freddie and Fannie were democrat banking leaders who blocked attempts to better regulate. Then the same people whined the banking industry wasnt regulated enough.

This.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

That's because Barney Frank was having sex with the CEO of one of these companies. He should be in jail.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So what is good ole O'Bamma gonna do about how we finance houses? Are we just going to keep doing the same thing and hope for different results? I dont think O'Bamma can think for himself.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
The Obama administration is considering an overhaul of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that would strip the mortgage finance giants of hundreds of billions of dollars in troubled loans and create a new structure to support the home-loan market, government officials said.

The bad debts the firms own would be placed in new government financial institutions - "bad banks" - that would take responsibility for collecting as much of the outstanding balance as possible. What would be left would be two healthy financial companies with a clean slate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/...9/08/05/BU3J194NP0.DTL

How many trillions of dollars are we going to pump into these companies?
After all, the government has all readdy pledges 1.5 trillion in aid.

So much for accountability for those 'evil' wall street companies but I guess when one of their ex CEOs is in your administration you have to do something.

Oh ya, who was Fannie/Freddie #2 recipient of campaign contributions? Wasn't BOOOSH....Wasn't McCain....Have a guess yet?

Then there is James Johnson and Franklin Raines.......

2003 was before the housing bubble dipshit

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: MrMatt
The Obama administration is considering an overhaul of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that would strip the mortgage finance giants of hundreds of billions of dollars in troubled loans and create a new structure to support the home-loan market, government officials said.

The bad debts the firms own would be placed in new government financial institutions - "bad banks" - that would take responsibility for collecting as much of the outstanding balance as possible. What would be left would be two healthy financial companies with a clean slate.

So much for accountability for those 'evil' wall street companies but I guess when one of their ex CEOs is in your administration you have to do something.

Oh ya, who was Fannie/Freddie #2 recipient of campaign contributions? Wasn't BOOOSH....Wasn't McCain....Have a guess yet?

I said this before, regarding the Freddie/Fannie thing. O received more money than everyone but Dodd from those two. He'd fall in line eventually. He's an elitist that spouts populist rhetoric, and since 85% of voters only listen to campaign ads and don't look at what's behind them, they voted for this retard we now have as president. I said this before he even was nominated; he's more in the pocket of big banks than any republican ever was.

QFT.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: soulcougher73

No it won't. This will be anything BUT interesting. One of two things will happen. The usual conservative twats will show up, throw around some insults, point out that it's Lib News, blame everything on Democrats. That or this thread will be ignored completely. The conservative fools around here will NEVER admit that ANYTHING is due to ANY ACTION by a Republican, and that everything bad in the universe is the fault of Obama and the Democrats. This forum is a wasteland, if you're waiting for interesting conversation you'd be better off visiting a daycare.

Fixed that for you. Or did i? Sound familiar yet?

Yeah, it works either way. I just hate the Democrat party more than I hate the Republicans. On a scale of 1 to 10 my disdain for Republicans is a 9 while Democrats are a 10. That extra point is mostly due to the Democrat cockroaches that infest this forum.
are there any windows left on your glass house?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

2003 was before the housing bubble burst dipshit

Your statement was factually incorrect. I corrected it for you.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: blackangst1

You moron, it didn't really even get started until 2003/2004.

The regulation they were asking for was a joke anyway, it was more or less just reshuffling the house, not regulating it more strongly.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

The regulation they were asking for was a joke anyway, it was more or less just reshuffling the house, not regulating it more strongly.

Wrong. Then FM CEO started getting warnings from a guy named David Andrukonis, who was FM risk officer.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

No it won't. This will be anything BUT interesting. One of two things will happen. The usual liberal twats will show up, throw around some insults, point out that it's Faux News, blame everything on Republicans. That or this thread will be ignored completely. The liberal fools around here will NEVER admit that ANYTHING is due to ANY ACTION by a Democrat, and that everything bad in the universe is the fault of Bush and the Republicans. This forum is a wasteland, if you're waiting for interesting conversation you'd be better off visiting a daycare.

wow you called it. and it didnt take long either.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Wrong. Then FM CEO started getting warnings from a guy named David Andrukonis, who was FM risk officer.

The credit crisis, nor prices, hadn't even started getting bad in 2003. The "warnings" were more prognostication in nature. Thus, they were warnings of future happenings, direction per se, not current events. Get checked.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
The problem was, how come Bush foresee the problem and the democrat choose to ignore it. Answer the question.