White Evangelicals, This is Why People Are Through With You

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Powerful words that expose just one aspect of the level of bat shit that is now the base of the GOP.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/01/2...ource=facebook_page&utm_medium=John Pavlovitz

Dear White Evangelicals,

I need to tell you something: People have had it with you.

They’re done.

They want nothing to do with you any longer, and here’s why:

They see your hypocrisy, your inconsistency, your incredibly selective mercy, and your thinly veiled supremacy.

For eight years they watched you relentlessly demonize a black President; a man faithfully married for 26 years; a doting father and husband without a hint of moral scandal or the slightest whiff of infidelity.

They watched you deny his personal faith convictions, argue his birthplace, and assail his character—all without cause or evidence. They saw you brandish Scriptures to malign him and use the laziest of racial stereotypes in criticizing him.

And through it all, White Evangelicals—you never once suggested that God placed him where he was,
you never publicly offered prayers for him and his family,
you never welcomed him to your Christian Universities,
you never gave him the benefit of the doubt in any instance,
you never spoke of offering him forgiveness or mercy,
your evangelists never publicly thanked God for his leadership,
your pastors never took to the pulpit to offer solidarity with him,
you never made any effort to affirm his humanity or show the love of Jesus to him in any quantifiable measure.

You violently opposed him at every single turn—without offering a single ounce of the grace you claim as the heart of your faith tradition. You jettisoned Jesus as you dispensed damnation on him.

And yet today, you openly give a “mulligan” to a white Republican man so riddled with depravity, so littered with extramarital affairs, so unapologetically vile, with such a vast resume of moral filth—that the mind boggles.

And the change in you is unmistakable. It has been an astonishing conversion to behold: a being born again.

With him, you suddenly find religion.
With him, you’re now willing to offer full absolution.
With him, all is forgiven without repentance or admission.
With him you’re suddenly able to see some invisible, deeply buried heart.
With him, sin has become unimportant, compassion no longer a requirement.
With him, you see only Providence.

And White Evangelicals, all those people who have had it with you—they see it all clearly.

They recognize the toxic source of your inconsistency.

They see that pigmentation and party are your sole deities.
They see that you aren’t interested in perpetuating the love of God or emulating the heart of Jesus.
They see that you aren’t burdened to love the least, or to be agents of compassion, or to care for your Muslim, gay, African, female, or poor neighbors as yourself.
They see that all you’re really interested in doing, is making a God in your own ivory image and demanding that the world bow down to it.
They recognize this all about white, Republican Jesus—not dark-skinned Jesus of Nazareth.

And I know you don’t realize it, but you’re digging your own grave in these days; the grave of your very faith tradition.

Your willingness to align yourself with cruelty is a costly marriage. Yes, you’ve gained a Supreme Court seat, a few months with the Presidency as a mouthpiece, and the cheap high of temporary power—but you’ve lost a whole lot more.

You’ve lost an audience with millions of wise, decent, good-hearted, faithful people with eyes to see this ugliness.
You’ve lost any moral high ground or spiritual authority with a generation.
You’ve lost any semblance of Christlikeness.
You’ve lost the plot.
And most of all you’ve lost your soul.

I know it’s likely you’ll dismiss these words. The fact that you’ve even made your bed with such malevolence, shows how far gone you are and how insulated you are from the reality in front of you.

But I had to at least try to reach you. It’s what Jesus would do.

Maybe you need to read what he said again—if he still matters to you.

Nov 29, 2006
Its hard to be a christian and not be a hypocrite, especially if you claim to be a Republican also. Its a double down.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Don't you think that's what they see?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more people question their faith and leave the church thanks to Evangelicals fully embracing Trumpism.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more people question their faith and leave the church thanks to Evangelicals fully embracing Trumpism.

But those that remain in evangelical denominations will become more extreme. Like the people who go to cpac and vote in GOP primaries it becomes a cycle of self selecting crazy, demanding a certain ideological purity but willing to accept almost any cost to advance a very narrow agenda.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm an atheist but I try to be respectful of religion despite not believing it (and seeing a lot of it as really quite silly). But American conservative white evangelicals make it really hard to not attack religion with their hypocritical and downright despicable behavior.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Powerful words that expose just one aspect of the level of bat shit that is now the base of the GOP.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/01/24/white-evangelicals-people/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=John Pavlovitz

Dear White Evangelicals,

I need to tell you something: People have had it with you.

They’re done.

They want nothing to do with you any longer, and here’s why:

They see your hypocrisy, your inconsistency, your incredibly selective mercy, and your thinly veiled supremacy.

For eight years they watched you relentlessly demonize a black President; a man faithfully married for 26 years; a doting father and husband without a hint of moral scandal or the slightest whiff of infidelity.

They watched you deny his personal faith convictions, argue his birthplace, and assail his character—all without cause or evidence. They saw you brandish Scriptures to malign him and use the laziest of racial stereotypes in criticizing him.

And through it all, White Evangelicals—you never once suggested that God placed him where he was,
you never publicly offered prayers for him and his family,
you never welcomed him to your Christian Universities,
you never gave him the benefit of the doubt in any instance,
you never spoke of offering him forgiveness or mercy,
your evangelists never publicly thanked God for his leadership,
your pastors never took to the pulpit to offer solidarity with him,
you never made any effort to affirm his humanity or show the love of Jesus to him in any quantifiable measure.

You violently opposed him at every single turn—without offering a single ounce of the grace you claim as the heart of your faith tradition. You jettisoned Jesus as you dispensed damnation on him.

And yet today, you openly give a “mulligan” to a white Republican man so riddled with depravity, so littered with extramarital affairs, so unapologetically vile, with such a vast resume of moral filth—that the mind boggles.

And the change in you is unmistakable. It has been an astonishing conversion to behold: a being born again.

With him, you suddenly find religion.
With him, you’re now willing to offer full absolution.
With him, all is forgiven without repentance or admission.
With him you’re suddenly able to see some invisible, deeply buried heart.
With him, sin has become unimportant, compassion no longer a requirement.
With him, you see only Providence.

And White Evangelicals, all those people who have had it with you—they see it all clearly.

They recognize the toxic source of your inconsistency.

They see that pigmentation and party are your sole deities.
They see that you aren’t interested in perpetuating the love of God or emulating the heart of Jesus.
They see that you aren’t burdened to love the least, or to be agents of compassion, or to care for your Muslim, gay, African, female, or poor neighbors as yourself.
They see that all you’re really interested in doing, is making a God in your own ivory image and demanding that the world bow down to it.
They recognize this all about white, Republican Jesus—not dark-skinned Jesus of Nazareth.

And I know you don’t realize it, but you’re digging your own grave in these days; the grave of your very faith tradition.

Your willingness to align yourself with cruelty is a costly marriage. Yes, you’ve gained a Supreme Court seat, a few months with the Presidency as a mouthpiece, and the cheap high of temporary power—but you’ve lost a whole lot more.

You’ve lost an audience with millions of wise, decent, good-hearted, faithful people with eyes to see this ugliness.
You’ve lost any moral high ground or spiritual authority with a generation.
You’ve lost any semblance of Christlikeness.
You’ve lost the plot.
And most of all you’ve lost your soul.

I know it’s likely you’ll dismiss these words. The fact that you’ve even made your bed with such malevolence, shows how far gone you are and how insulated you are from the reality in front of you.

But I had to at least try to reach you. It’s what Jesus would do.

Maybe you need to read what he said again—if he still matters to you.

AMEN!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm an atheist but I try to be respectful of religion despite not believing it (and seeing a lot of it as really quite silly). But American conservative white evangelicals make it really hard to not attack religion with their hypocritical and downright despicable behavior.

Same. During my teens I was Evangelical, but by my late teens started to see the cracks in it. Not so much in those I directly associated with, but those who were highly respected amongst Evangelicals. For people so intimate with "God" they sure seem easily swayed into doing things they considered to be utterly vile. Not just that though, they seemed completely oblivious and even dismissive of care for their fellow humans, despite their claims of "Love".

The rest of my family is still Evangelical. I get along with them, but all too often they say or post something to fb that makes me cringe. Sometimes I can't help but respond, usually just frankly, but sometimes in ways that are awkward, to say the least. As "God" puts it in the OT, I simply find some of their comments to be detestable.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
God doesn't forgive black Kenyan Muslims.

But....He's white and he's an American and [says] he's a Christian.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Should evangelicals have voted for Hillary instead?

I don't know, maybe? What kind of "non-Christian" actions and character traits can one honestly pin on Hillary? Recall that you have Trump behind the other door.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Categorically vilifying and stereotyping white people who claim to be Evangelical Christians makes you no less a hypocrite than those you despise.

No it doesn't.

Just replace "Evangelical Christians" with "Nazis" or "Murdering Space Alien Cannibals" and you'll see that your statement does not stand up to sound logical reasoning.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Categorically vilifying and stereotyping white people who claim to be Evangelical Christians makes you no less a hypocrite than those you despise.
This is another version of that stupid reverse racist canard. Vilifying racists does make one a racist.

Reactions: Bumrush99

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

While that's generally a stance I agree with, would you say that the characterization is representative of the group or no? If it is highly representative, then these statements apply even if there are members among the group which differ.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know, maybe? What kind of "non-Christian" actions and character traits can one honestly pin on Hillary? Recall that you have Trump behind the other door.
Um, she eats babies to gain immortality and murdered countless people who stood in the way of her career. That doesn't sound very Christian-like to me. Trump might be a little rough around the edges but he doesn't eat babies.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
No it doesn't.

Just replace "Evangelical Christians" with "Nazis" or "Murdering Space Alien Cannibals" and you'll see that your statement does not stand up to sound logical reasoning.

Hatred is hatred, and hatred will breed hatred. Bigotry like this only continues the cycle. My statement is contingent on being a Christian who has always voted Democrat, among many of my peers, and on being upset as I am grouped together with other people who do not represent me. My reasoning is anecdotal and filled with emotion. Take it or leave it.

This is another version of that stupid reverse racist canard. Vilifying racists does make one a racist.

Vilifying racism in general would never make one a racist. Vilifying white people who are Christian as all being racist does not make one a racist. A bigot, yes. A hypocrite, yes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hatred is hatred, and hatred will breed hatred. Bigotry like this only continues the cycle. My statement is contingent on being a Christian who has always voted Democrat, among many of my peers, and on being upset as I am grouped together with other people who do not represent me. My reasoning is anecdotal and filled with emotion. Take it or leave it.

Vilifying racism in general would never make one a racist. Vilifying white people who are Christian as all being racist does not make one a racist. A bigot, yes. A hypocrite, yes.

Are you a Christian or an Evangelical? I was raised Christian, grew up in the Methodist church, and found it quite awesome.

I was never an evangelical, however, and that is an entirely different, specific breed. He didn't say Christians, he said Evangelicals. I can't say that I've ever met an evangelical that didn't deserve a quick punch in the face, but I've met and know plenty of fine Christian folks.