White Christmas!

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
We're having a white xmas here (near Portland Oregon)! It's been snowing for maybe an hour or so and there's already at least 2 inches.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
woooo hooo, we're hoping for a wet christmas here in the south and its coming tonight.

if it can't be white, might as well be wet (with the drought)

pics?

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I just looked up the forecast...by tomorrow night they estimate we'll have around 17 inches accumulated!!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yep. Snowing here my house. I can't believe it. I figured the news forecasters were just full of it as usual.

Merry (white) Christmas! :D

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
No snow here in the ghetto (SE Portland) or at least a light dusting on our cars.

Whoooooooooooooooooope.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
No snow here in the ghetto (SE Portland) or at least a light dusting on our cars.

Whoooooooooooooooooope.

Crack?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We had a dusting here in Clackamas, not even enough to cover the grass..

Its turned to rain now.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
We have a full foot on the ground and it's still snowing hard. :D

You live in the coast range foothills, right? It snowed most of yesterday where I live, but there is nothing left today.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: crt1530
We have a full foot on the ground and it's still snowing hard. :D

You live in the coast range foothills, right? It snowed most of yesterday where I live, but there is nothing left today.

Yeah, up on top of Pumpkin Ridge. Our power was out all afternoon because a tree took the power lines down (we had to drive over them on the way home, they were all over the road. :Q)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Is there a website (other than Google Maps) which shows your elevation?

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I don't know, but our GPS says we're at 1300 someodd feet, IIRC.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

I don't know, but our GPS says we're at 1300 someodd feet, IIRC.

Good idea, I'll see if that's available on our Garmin c320.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Just got back from PDX/Couv this evening - was snowing when I left. However we didn't get much snow in the Couv as others did on Christmas Day.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
You guys must have like 5 feet of snow by now. It's amazing how much difference a couple hundred feet in elevation can make.

I've seen cars coming out of the gorge with 2+ft of snow on their cars. :Q

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
We've got a good foot and a half and it's still snowing hard. The trees are heavily laden with snow and the wind has been blowing, so branches are snapping and trees are falling down into the road. Power's still on today, surprisingly. My kids are having a BLAST on their sleds. And my spouse has been having a blast clearing snow with the tractor. :p

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
It seems to have tapered off for the most part around town. I'm sure the higher elevations are still getting it, but its turned to mostly rain down low.

It was weird, I took the backroads out to Gresham earlier, and every time I would climb a hill.. the ground would gradually get whiter, then on the descent it would turn back to mixed rain..

Can only imagine what its like at 1300'. :Q :D Lucky.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I think the white Christmas thing is overrated. It was 65 F and clear skies here in SoCal and I loved it. I don't see how two feet of snow makes spending time with family and opening presents any more enjoyable. Just seems like more of a pain to deal with, to be honest.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
I think the white Christmas thing is overrated. It was 65 F and clear skies here in SoCal and I loved it. I don't see how two feet of snow makes spending time with family and opening presents any more enjoyable. Just seems like more of a pain to deal with, to be honest.
Well, it does depend on where you are.

Here in Portland, we have like a 2% chance of a white Christmas, statistically speaking, so... yeah, its rare.

Barrow, Alaska? They haven't seen the ground since before the last ice age. :p lol

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Eli

Here in Portland, we have like a 2% chance of a white Christmas, statistically speaking, so... yeah, its rare.

Barrow, Alaska? They haven't seen the ground since before the last ice age. :p lol

Yeah the last white christmas I remember around here was like 19 years ago, and that was in north clark county (elevation 800 ft). I was excited when it start coming down on Tuesday, even though I had to drive in it.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

This is our 6th winter living up here, and we've only had one xmas with absolutely no snow. :D