White Castle veggie sliders w/ cheese

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Yo, omnivore - why you up in my thread?

Nah, it's cool. We all have our perverse little curiosities. Take Dr Pimple Popper for example. [retch] Be right back.

Now that I've whet your appetite . . . I no longer have any doubt that WC's founder made some sort of Faustian bargain, which for some reason has persisted beyond his or her demise. I wasn't really hungry but I was going to order up some Japanese poke (pokii) but google pay just would not work for my order. This is while I'm sitting in the Wawa lot after topping off the tank. BTW, $4.99 here in NJ for regular. Downloaded the new app, rebooted, yada.

With my freshly purchased jug of Merry's Irish Creme (Bailey's knockoff and about $25 cheaper), I would brook no obstacles.

But oh look. There's WC. What are the odds. I've been meaning to go there since I heard about the new sliders. Problem is, there are sacred texts shorter than their menu. I would sit there and read it but that place always has a drive up line and they never seem to open their lobby. I've tried to haul my butt inside several times but nope. I bet they have one of those magnetic locks and they don't buzz you in if you look shifty. I mean sure. There's the long hair, the bohemian jewelry and t-shirt with a cute kitty holding a bloody knife with the caption "WHAT?"

Anyway. Order a half dozen which somehow becomes a full dozen. Meh. Whatever, just take my f*ing money. How bad can it be, right? Well, not bad at as it turns out. The patty itself is wonderful if you're vegan and actually LIKE veggies. For me it was ok but I won't be rushing back. The bread and cheese though - that's where I focused my attention.

BTW, I haven't been to a WC in this century and at least a decade or so into the last one. Their burgers used to be genuine sliders. Open mouth, insert slider, swallow, next. Now, they must be close to double the size I remember.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Culinary abominations. The plant foods are so much better when they resemble something that was growing.

Here are all the vegan options at White Castle:
Veggie Slider with Cheese (New Jersey and New York only)
White Castle’s original Veggie Slider is a Dr. Praeger’s patty made from carrots, zucchini, peas, spinach, and broccoli on a soft dairy-free bun. At New Jersey and New York locations, you can try it with GOOD PLANeT Foods vegan cheese and top it off with your choice of sweet Thai sauce, onions, pickles, ketchup, or mustard. You might need to eat, like, 20 of these.

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Is cheese vegan as well? If so, they’ve taken the slider concept to plaid.
I didn't ask. If so, it was pretty good. There are some really good vegan cheese substitutes out there but it's not something I worry too much about. For example, in my fridge I have vegan margarine but real, shaved Parmesan.

I hear you say that all margarine is vegan - that's why they can't call it butter. Maybe so, again, not something I'm going to lose sleep over. But at least the vegan stuff isn't hydrogenized. I think they can still do shit like that as long as the amount of trans fats is under .5 grams per serving. But that's bullshit. If it's under 0.5g they can put ZERO on the label and you really want to stay away from that stuff. Your poor macrophage cells get bloated with it and then crawl into your artery walls to die.