Whining noise on 460 GTX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Those are solid-state chokes. Regular chokes have exposed coils. As for whether it could be the caps, that's definitely possible although I don't know a lot about whether solid state caps can whine.

If the solid caps can't whine then I don't know what it is. There is definitely a high-pitched whine though, and it only happens when the video card is loaded.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thats fucking great, so i buy a 460 to replace my 4890 due to coil whine issues and when i finally pick it up tommorow or tuesday i might have the same problems. Somebody just shoot me.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Thats fucking great, so i buy a 460 to replace my 4890 due to coil whine issues and when i finally pick it up tommorow or tuesday i might have the same problems. Somebody just shoot me.

It's not that bad is it? I notice it initially but forget about it after I start gaming. Really, a lot of cards have that issue I think...it won't be that easy to get away from it.

LordGestle

Jan 2, 2001
I ran into this a few times during some upgrades and system builds. What I found it related to was a combination of the power supply and graphics cards.
2 different EVGA 260 GTXs on the power supplies below on similar system combinations.
Antec Quatro 1000: Whine
Antec NeoHE 650: No whine
Antec NeoHE 550: No whine
A 8800GT or HD4830 on the same power supplies do not exhibit whine. The whine was most noticable on Menu Screens (example UT3) and where full screen graphics had high frame rates.
Got to the point I'm reluctant to upgrade my power supply unless I hear end user reports that it does not exhibit the problem. The same cards on the Antec NeoHE's are dead silent.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
my 4890 is not super bad and ive been living with it for over a year now, and its only some games not all.

However since i started working nights on my days off i dont change my sleep patterns so im up all night playing games(really what else is there to do between midnight and 6am) at very low volume and the whine is then very noticable and annoying, especially in the games where it is very bad such as defense grid.

If my 460 whines as well im going to Return it same day, im done with coil whine.

A_Dying_Wren

Apr 30, 2010
I ran into this a few times during some upgrades and system builds. What I found it related to was a combination of the power supply and graphics cards.
2 different EVGA 260 GTXs on the power supplies below on similar system combinations.
Antec Quatro 1000: Whine
Antec NeoHE 650: No whine
Antec NeoHE 550: No whine
A 8800GT or HD4830 on the same power supplies do not exhibit whine. The whine was most noticable on Menu Screens (example UT3) and where full screen graphics had high frame rates.
Got to the point I'm reluctant to upgrade my power supply unless I hear end user reports that it does not exhibit the problem. The same cards on the Antec NeoHE's are dead silent.

Hmm... most interesting. I can see how that may possibly have an effect. I would then be rather ticked off I paid a premium for a HX650 which is now contributing to the whine (if it is reliant on the PSU)

It's not that bad is it? I notice it initially but forget about it after I start gaming. Really, a lot of cards have that issue I think...it won't be that easy to get away from it.

It gets worse when you OC it so I guess don't OC too much. Also, if you are a bit older there may be less of an impact as those frequencies may be gone but I'd doubt that.

Nothing a pair of earplugs/speakers couldn't fix anyhow.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Is anyone else finding that their 460 GTXs start whining under load regardless of fan speed or is it particular to my cards from Palit? They absolutely only whine when under load as in when running F@H, Furmark or games in general. I'm very sure it isn't the fans as I can monitor the fanspeed via msi afterburner (plus subjective observation) and the whine only happens when an intensive program is running. The whine is a constant high pitched sound which isn't too loud but irritating nonetheless and dissuades me from running F@H at night.

Is it a common problem or should I look into RMA'ing my cards? Both of them have a similar whine which happens OC or not.

Thanks

All cards whine.

Some PSUs whine. Some whine more loudly than others.

It's a whine whine situation in computer land.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The 460 should not whine at all, I don't know why people mess with the fan speed. My EVGA OC GTX 460 seems quieter than my "old" GTX 260 Core 216.

Mareg

Jul 24, 2004
My Gigabyte 1Gig definitly whine.
Its not all the time. I haven't pin pointed exactly under what condition it whines. Definitly under load while gaming.

Its sould like electrical buzzing of some sort. Very disturbing because my system is otherwise completly silent. Even when gaming with sound, my hears still get distracted by that awfull buzzing noise. It was soo bad, I tought my speaker just went bad. But disabling the sound led me to believe it came from the case. Only part I had replaced recently was the video card so it was easy to figure who was making the noise.

My fans are software controlled in afterburner and I know for a fact that my software settings are much more aggressive then the hardware fan control. Its just that with my OC settings, I don't like how slow the fan is reacting to the heat.
But I'll definitly revert to hardware control to see if it get rid of the buzzing.

a Nicholas

Dec 3, 2010
My Gigabyte 1Gig definitly whine.
Its not all the time. I haven't pin pointed exactly under what condition it whines. Definitly under load while gaming.

Its sould like electrical buzzing of some sort. Very disturbing because my system is otherwise completly silent. Even when gaming with sound, my hears still get distracted by that awfull buzzing noise. It was soo bad, I tought my speaker just went bad. But disabling the sound led me to believe it came from the case. Only part I had replaced recently was the video card so it was easy to figure who was making the noise.

I have the same problem, but i only noticed it after using an old CRT for dual displays and now even after its back to just one, i can still hear it. The volume varies a bit, and it is usually silent untill the computer has been on for about 3-4 minutes. It doesnt seem to be related to load either, it just comes and goes (and I'm just typing on the forum).

Also using a Gigabyte 1Gig GTX460

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I have this problem on 2 of my 6 460 GTX cards ! and its so loud !!! I mean as loud as an electric shaver ! And I have 2 other identical cards that either don't make the noise, or its so quiet, I can't hear it.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Totally forgot about this thread. I got my MSI 460 1GB now OC to 900Mhz and its dead silent.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Here is the latest. The noise stopped ! totally, and all on its own, didn't even shut off or reboot and touch a key ! I was running F@H, and its off doing its own thing, and the next morning when I wake up, its just quiet !!!

Freakin odd....

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
my Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1024 is completely silent ... highly recommended card.

Same here. I have two in a machine with Q6600 @ 3.6 (have to change my sig), folding away 24/7 for the Dec. holiday race, and I haven't heard the slightest hint of coil whine. I have an Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU made by Delta.