While taking your pictures, don't forget about your family.

Oct 19, 2000
Back when this sub-forum opened up, I was very much into photography as a hobby. I loved it very much and consumed what info I could, as you can tell by the resource thread I started years ago to help everyone else with getting the information they needed. I even ran the monthly photo contest here for a few months, something I very much enjoyed, as it got people out and shooting.

As a new house and a new job took over my life, I let photography fall by the wayside, having not picked up my Nikon D50 for a few years now. I would often think about my camera and lenses sitting in the corner of my office, only being touched when a re-arrangement of furniture necessitated it.

Fast-forward to yesterday morning, when my wife received the call that her dear grandmother had suffered from heart failure and passed away. She had had a stroke many years back, before my wife and I first met, but even in her limited mobility and challenging circumstances, she remains one of the sweetest and kindest human beings I've ever met.

I sit here tonight going through old pictures on my computer, pulling those photos of her I had the pleasure of taking. I would like to say she looks like the belle of the ball in them all, but none of us are perfect, we all get our bad side on film once in a while. :) However, any photo of her is a good one.

My photos are arranged by year and my biggest regret at this moment is that my folders stop at 2007. I hadn't taken a picture in almost 4 years and now I'll never get the opportunity to take a picture with Maxine again. I've finally dragged out my camera and plan on using it again, making sure to take the time to take photos with family and friends.

Krioni

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
A great reminder... so easy to get carried away with other crap and forget the important stuff.

LR6

Sep 27, 2004
Great Reminder.

Also, remember if you have kids to take photos of yourself and not just the kids. My father passed away when I was very young and my favorite photos of that time are the ones with him in them and not myself.